General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-14 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything?
I am not superstitious, but if you are, feel free to ignore this.

First Tri on Sunday, a sprint (250 yd pool swim, 9.3 mi bike, 3.2 mi run).  I have run races in rain, so I know those go on as planned.  Indoor swim is not effected by weather.  What about bike?  Would it be cancelled?
Also, my MTN bike would probably handle and ride better in bad weather, albeit slower.  Would anyone switch bikes in bad weather?

Thanks.  And hopefully the weather holds off.

2009-05-14 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2149905

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything?
Unless it is severe lightning I have not heard of them cancelling a bike in many tris.  Just the swim.

At an oly. I did on the Eastern Shore last year they cancelled the Atlantic ocean swim and had sustained winds in the 20's with gusts into the upper 30's.  The silly bike check people suggested that I not use my disc because of the wind.  I used it and it was fine.

Edited by Daremo 2009-05-14 8:09 AM
2009-05-14 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Don't use quite as high PSI in yoru  tires (assuming you're running really high PSI to begin with).

Avoid riding on the painted lines--they will be slick.

Also avoid riding through puddles if you can help it. You don't know how deep they are.

2009-05-14 8:12 AM

User image

Upstate NY
Good luck I'll be doing that same race on Sunday.  Just hope we don't get one of these windy days.
2009-05-14 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I've done the race 3-4x and doing it again Sunday as a relay with my daughter. My husband is doing the race as well. Look for us....we aren't listed in participants yet as we registered late last week.

Bike has some fast descents on crappy roads with lots of pot holes no shoulders and open to traffic. Avoid the pot holes if they are filled with water as you can't really tell what's under the puddle. It was raining when I did it one year and it was fine.

Now I need to decide if I'll bring my race or training wheels. I'll probably ride my Zipps.

Nice thing about the race is you can take a shower afterwards at the club. Parking is far from transition so bring your change of clothes with you so you don't have to double back.

Don't worry...it will be a lot of fun!
2009-05-14 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
My first race of the season was in temperatures around 39 degrees, soaking wet bike and run course with light rain and wind. 

Tips:

1. don't take the corners fast.  You will lose a little time slowing down but you will save a lot of time over picking your self up off the ground.

2. Bring a couple extra small towels.  Anything you don't want soaked before you start you should cover (bike shoes, run shoes, sunglasses, helmet, whatever makes sense for you and the way you set up your transition).

3.  Focus on the race and forget about the conditions, everyone else is racing in the same conditions.

4. Good luck.

2009-05-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2150473

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Moose22 - 2009-05-14 11:05 AM My first race of the season was in temperatures around 39 degrees, soaking wet bike and run course with light rain and wind. 

Tips:

1. don't take the corners fast.  You will lose a little time slowing down but you will save a lot of time over picking your self up off the ground.

2. Bring a couple extra small towels.  Anything you don't want soaked before you start you should cover (bike shoes, run shoes, sunglasses, helmet, whatever makes sense for you and the way you set up your transition).

3.  Focus on the race and forget about the conditions, everyone else is racing in the same conditions.

4. Good luck.

x2
Also - A couple of trash bags, an old shower curtain, or an old plastic table cloth works well to keep your gear dry in transition.  You can wrap the edges down around the bottom of your stuff so it doesn't blow up and get water under it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything? Rss Feed