Tri4gold
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 38s
Overall Rank = 47/324
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/50
Pre-race routine:

Small bowl of cereal, got to race really early, not sure how far from the house. Packet pickup was a snap. Very organized, even at 5:45am
Event warmup:

quick 3 min jog and about 50 yards in the lake
Swim
  • 22m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Never found anyone to draft off. First Olympic distance and was wondering when I'd ever reach the first buoy. Overall got into a good 3 stroke breathing rythym signting every 4 to 6 breaths. Felt like I kept drifting away from my sight line but overall felt good with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Socks and shoes on. Still haven't had the guts to try clipping the shoes to the bike for faster T-1. Maybe next season. Grass Transition area was nice too.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 7s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.02 mile/hr
Comments:

So very pleased with the bike. First Oly distance and didn't know if the legs would ever blow up. Got passed by about 9 bikes, all with Go-fast wheels (note to self, keep working on the motor powering the bike, then invest in wheels). Miles clicked by but there were some hills that you got up to 35+, meaning since it was an out and back, uh oh... Overall though, felt pretty good and pleased.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Pushed pretty good on the bike so took a couple of extra seconds just to get my breath and heart rate down.
What would you do differently?:

Grab the Gu packet on my transition mat, instead of just the race #. Realize that although I felt good, in 15 minutes, I won't have as much energy....
Run
  • 49m 20s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

So here is where I had the challenge. First time at an Oly distance so I need to better pace myself on the bike, take a gu packet at mile 1 of the run, or work on a few more brick workouts with longer distances. Was moving along ok for first 3 miles then when I got to the 5K, lost lots of energy. Mind said go, legs said no, then mind lost out. But having said all that, I was very happy to see the finish line and pleased that I completed my first Oly distance. Super shocked at the overall time too, what a bonus!
Post race
Warm down:

Nice polar insulated water bottle at the finish, couple of banana's and chatting with some other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience at the longer distances??? My first oly and what a fun race, sprints are cool and now I am not too afraid of the oly distance. I have a baseline of what to work on now, which was the goal.

Event comments:

Good location, bike course was mostly closed to traffic and plenty of police at the intersections. Volunteers were friendly, one at the start line helped zip my wetsuit (thanks for that!). Very well run and organized. Definately on the list for next year.

Last updated: 2009-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/50
Overall: 25/324
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes -Qroo Hydrofull
Course: Triangle swim. Race director said, if you get tired or need help, just stand up so apparantly not too deep but too murkey to tell. Time-trial start on the grass.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:07 | 25 miles | 22.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/50
Overall: 38/324
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with couple more turns than I anticipated. Bottle station at around 13 miles (good to know for next year, don't need to carry 2 full bottles)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:20 | 06.2 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/50
Overall: 123/324
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat out and back on a golf cart path, couple of rollers but nothing longer than 10-15 second climbs. water every 1.5 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Peachtree International Triathlon

2009-05-17 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2155773

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Peachtree International Triathlon

You should be proud with the result of your first OLY plus it is time to sign up for a HIM! 

2009-05-19 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Time for a HIM? not this year.  I'll leave that to you crazy distance folks.  The Oly was plenty for me to handle. I'm thinking 1 or 2 sprints +  1 or 2 oly's this season will be more than enough to have fun with.
2009-05-20 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Great race and finish time!! Conditions were awesome for this race...I loved it.
You should look into West Point Lake or Chattanooga. Both very good Oly/Int distances.
And PTC's sprint is just as great as the PIT. I don't know if you did that one last year.

Good Job!

2009-05-21 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2162558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Thanks for the advice, just signed up for West Point - oly distance.  Let's give this another shot but it's not wetsuit legal?? uh oh, but the T-1 should be faster!  I see that you're signed up too, see ya at the race.

Side note, any idea how much farther the drive is from Atlanta, time wise vs. PTC?  Not sure if I should get a hotel the night before or tough out a longer drive. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree International Triathlon Rss Feed