United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 248/799
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

shower, ate a cliffbar and drank some cliff shot electolyte. hung out with some other competors. I was lucky to meet a getleman 77yrs old who won his age group at Kona. His name is Ron how cool. Maybe someday I'll get that lucky.
Event warmup:

steaching
Swim
  • 13m 31s
  • 604 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

open water swim and it was my first race swim and2nd open water
What would you do differently?:

practice, practice, practice!!! Plan on doing more open water swim practices. need to learn how to keep my head down and swim. This is a minor issue and will get easier with practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

this was a point to point race. The Transitions were long and the gravel was imposssible to run barefooted, also you had to put all your stuff in a bag for them to bring to trans 2 for you.

Move faster get used to open water and swim more efficient so that I do not take so long in the transition. i need to work on my OCD so I dont spent as much time putting all my crap in a bag and tying it, so that I dont worry if it will fall open.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 11s
  • 18.5 miles
  • 16.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Great and challenging ride. the winds didnt help at about 20-30 mph it didnt seem like we had a tail wind but one time.

more road work for my 2nd tri ever I dont think i did to bad on the ride. Practice Practice practice, and more practiced
Transition 2
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

I bought the nike running flats and put yank laces on them, thus made it hard to slip on shoes. I didnt do well finding my bike rack site either.

Did not do as well as I would like. I had a hard time finding my shoes and rack site andneed different laces on my flats. It takes way to long to slip on my shoes.
Run
  • 33m 58s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

not bad I ran my pace and stayed consistant. stayed strong and finished strong.

Need to work on my speed, now that I have perfected my consistant pace.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around and talk to some people I met in Petersburg Tri

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure yet. this was my 2nd tri and my first open water swim. so I guess I need to work on my open water swimming. Next I need to be more prficient on the bike. I need to improve on makeing my rides more efficient. Speed wqork on the run is a must. I have my next Tri in 6 weeks so I will do a 2 week build and 1 week taper then work on speed for the next 3 weeks. But also prepare for the evergreen lake Race. Finnaly never take forgranted a good 1st race as future seccucess.

Event comments:

1st if you are reading this and you are planning your 1st tri. Look elsewhere cuz this course will Kick your ass. at this point you wont be beating Galena it will beat you, but if you insist on making this your 1st tri. well plan on surviving not winning. Nextyou must work on open water swimming it is nothing like swimming in a pool. Bring a pair of sandles and place them on the grass along the side walk you'll know when you see it. next fins someone who has been there before and ask alot of questions. That will be your biggest resource. Most of all have fun even while getting your ass kicked. It is one of the most beautiful bike courses you will ever ride on. If you have any questions just ask and I'll tell you what I know and wont fake an answer.

Last updated: 2008-11-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:31 | 604 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 373/799
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: open water swim a basic rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:11 | 18.5 miles | 16.04 mile/hr
Overall: 268/799
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A very senic but hilly course. I believe that 1 hill clim was about 1 1/2 mile long and very high and windy
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:32
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:58 | 04.3 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 211/799
Performance: Average
Course: mor hills and a winding course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Galena Triathlon

2009-05-17 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2156058

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Galena Triathlon
nice job Ric...I did not have your last name so I could not look you up and find you!! Your race report is pretty accurate, tough course. The sandals thing is smart, I did the du so did not have to run on the gravel barefoot on frozen feet.  I mean, a GRAVEL transition?? I had forgotten that from prior years. Again, congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galena Triathlon Rss Feed