General Discussion Race Reports! » American Odyssey Relay Run Adventure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Odyssey Relay Run Adventure - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
United States
Total Time = 29h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We were a 12 person team and 5 of us all live on my block. Barry, our team captain, drove up the night before. The rest of us gathered at 5:30 for the drive from Severna Park to Gettysburg. We had a 9:15 start time. Got to Gettysburg around 7:45 and met the rest of the team at Barry's hotel.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much....of course, I wasn't running for another 7 hours!! I was runner number 8 in our race rotation. So I prepared all the course maps....helped with navigating from one transition to another....drove the van....
Run
  • 00m
  • 204 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Great teamwork, everyone was encouraging and supportive.
My total mileage was just over 19 miles and I am sore. Almost marathon sore. Last leg was sloooooow, like 9:46/mile for 8.7 miles.
Everyone had their own motivations (focus on finishing, competitive and catch as many runners as you can, enjoy the scenery, chat with other runners....we had all of those on our team) Regardless of the motivation, others on the team supported them.
Our strongest through the weakest runners all said the same thing.....the third leg was TOUGH!
The nighttime leg was my favorite.
The interaction between the teams was great.
There are never enough port-o-johns.
Very very hard to sleep....but getting through without sleep was easier than I expected.
Never a moment where my teammates got on my nerves or annoyed me...never. However, after 2 minutes of being in the car with my family driving away from the finish, they were completely annoying!!! You get through to the end and when you are done, your done. I was sick of being in a car, sick of being positive, sick of running, sick of looking through bags for socks or whatever, sick of navigating to the next transition....just done.
I was tired and irritable all day yesterday. Got to bed at 8:00 PM on Saturday and was asleep by 8:02 PM. Didn't wake up until 6:30 AM on Sunday.
Despite that, it was a total blast and I have made friendships that, in most cases, will last a very long time.

Post race
Event comments:

This was the most fun I've ever had at any race. I'm doing the Blue Ridge Relay in September. I know how tough this event was and the BRR course is much tougher. More hills, bigger hills and more elevation.....should be fun.

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 204 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: From Gettysburg, PA to Washington DC.....204 miles divided into 36 legs...finishing just south of the Lincoln Memorial near the Jefferson Memorial. The course has some easy, some moderate and some very hard legs....a little bit of everything. It was beautiful.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-19 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: American Odyssey Relay Run Adventure
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Odyssey Relay Run Adventure Rss Feed