Canada
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 7s
Overall Rank = 144/195
Age Group = Women 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Everything was packed the night before, so all I did was make a smoothie, eat an apple and 2 home-made energy bar pieces and some soymilk. Packed up the car and left at 6:30am. Figured out where to go, set myself up in a good transition station and then went to the beach where the swim was going to start.
Event warmup:

Once the wetsuit was on, I watched the 2 waves of guys start, then the relay group. I got in the water and at first thought I would die, but I stuck my body and my face in, got used to breathing in cold cold water (17C). Got out of the water, listened to the rules, and then we started at 9:30A.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 750 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought that my hands and feet would be dead frozen, but b/c the rest of my body was surprisingly warm in the wetsuit, I felt absolutely fabulous. I should have pushed harder, I'm a better swimmer than what my time indicates. Hmm...
What would you do differently?:

- I have to do more OWS to be fully comfortable in the wetsuit. I still found it rather heavy on the shoulders, which altered my swimming style.
- Don't be so afraid of cold waters! The wetsuit works really well; I was warm.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything was good good good. Out of wetsuit quickly (just a bit of a catch on my heels), dried off feet very briefly, into socks, into shoes. Everything was ready for me to wear, then ran with bike, jumped on it and rode!!

Approximate T1 time: 2:00

I need a *bit* more practice taking off the wetsuit, but otherwise I have no complaints!
Bike
  • 40m 48s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.41 km/hr
Comments:

ARGH!!! I had been biking on thursday and had tried out going to the highest gear in the front while coasting with a tailwind. Usually I bike middle gear. Anyway, when I got on my bike, it was still on the highest gear and for *some* reason, would not switch down, no matter what I did. The bike ride, which usually would not make me achy for any reason, left me really sore. Because I was stuck in the front, I couldn't go down many gears in the back, otherwise the chain would be at too big of an angle, but being on higher gears in the back was tough going. Anyway, I went straight to the bike shop after the race to get it checked out. It's there, being fixed. But overall, I kept a good enough pace. I would have liked to be 30+km/hr, but was under b/c of that damn gear problem.

Check the damn gear shifting prior to the race!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took just a few moments to get my shoes off and runners on. My bike gloves wouldn't come off so easily. In fact, I didn't even need them for such a short bike distance, but it was good practice for the upcoming Oly and HIM.

Approximate T2 time: 1:20

Practice taking bike gloves off quickly.
Run
  • 24m 35s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Great running. By this point, I had NO idea how I was doing, whether I was in the middle of my women's pack, at the back, or at the front. But I went out and ran. The inside of my thighs were realllllly sore from that stupid bike (damn gears!!!), but I kept on going at a good enough pace.

I need to do more bike/run bricks. Although I had issues with my bike, thus making me more exhausted than I should have been for the run, I know that for the HIM in July, I actually WILL be dead exhausted by the time the run comes along, so I need to practice running on dead legs. Otherwise, the run went well!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Drank a smoothie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to practice biking at faster speeds, staying consistently at high speeds, for longer periods of time. I also know that I wasn't as fast a swimmer because I wasn't 100% comfortable in my wetsuit.

Event comments:

Hmm, there were quite a few problems with the way this race was organized. First off, the people directing traffic into the race parking had NO idea what they were doing. So frustrating. I unnecessarily parked 25 minutes away from the race site because of this. Secondly, the timing chips were set off if you crossed the line entering the transition station, even though you had not started your race yet. This made it impossible to know your swim or your bike times. Very very crappy. Other than that, I absolutely loved the race. Perfect temperature, just the right amount of people, well split up. I will definitely be doing this one again, even if it is shorter than what I'd ideally like to be racing. It was just fun!

Last updated: 2009-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 750 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Average
There were issues with the timing chips for a lot of people. It seems that once you pass through the transition zone and your chip is on, it is activated as if you had "started" your race, even though you were probably only going in to get your wetsuit or something like that. So, although my time of 1:23:07 is correct (they went by start time of 9:30AM for that), I have no time for swimming or biking because the chip thought I started 45 minutes before I actually did. BLERG.
Suit: nineteen women's XS
Course: Out to the furthest buoy (325m), across, then back in. Approximate swim time: 13:30
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:48 | 20 kms | 29.41 km/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/195
Wind: Little
Course: 5 laps around the circuit. Smooth roads, not many people (they were well spaced out). Everything was good except for my damn gear (see below). Because the chip timing screwed up (see above), and my bike is in the shop, I am going by what I remember on my bike computer, which was a speed of 29km/hr.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:35 | 05 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 144/195
Course: 3 loops on a path by the beach. Again, the course wasn't crowded. The weather was a nice 20C, sunny/cloudy mix.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-23 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Triathlon des Iles

2009-05-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2170062

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon des Iles
Good job out there Krystyna

I hope you had a blast, wish we could have meet! One goal down if my memory is good, a sprint under 1h30
2009-05-24 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2170296

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
rlejeune - 2009-05-23 10:50 PM Good job out there Krystyna

I hope you had a blast, wish we could have meet! One goal down if my memory is good, a sprint under 1h30

Hah thanks, and the same to you!
Oh, and I do believe you will be attending the Esprit triathlon in Mtl mid-september? I'll be going to that one, either for the Olympic or the HIM distance, depending on how fast I get back into shape after I return from Peru in mid-August.
2009-05-24 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Congratulations Krystyna! Great race! Shame about the problems with the timing band and bike! These things happen, at least it wasn't your "A" race. With regards to gloves - I never wear them when racing, even when I did the HIM.

2009-05-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2171288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eurydice79 - 2009-05-24 10:58 PM

Congratulations Krystyna! Great race! Shame about the problems with the timing band and bike! These things happen, at least it wasn't your "A" race. With regards to gloves - I never wear them when racing, even when I did the HIM.

Hmm, you didn't wear gloves? Then again, you're in aero position, yes? I don't yet use those!!
2009-05-25 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city

Good job in Montreal this weekend!

No gloves here as well, especially during a race.  In fact, I never ride with gloves during training, except when Quebec's weather dictates it!

PS: Montreal and Ottawa back to back?  You are hard core!

2009-05-25 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2172202

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
steve8 - 2009-05-25 7:50 PM

Good job in Montreal this weekend!

No gloves here as well, especially during a race.  In fact, I never ride with gloves during training, except when Quebec's weather dictates it!

PS: Montreal and Ottawa back to back?  You are hard core!

Thanks! Oh, and I don't mean gloves to keep me warm, but fingerless, padded gloves to help with shock absorption from the road. I definitely need them on long bike rides. Perhaps not on smooth surfaces like the circuit we rode on in the race!
2009-05-25 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
hoping to get to meet you in sept in montreal at the start of the oly hum...i'll be in the back of the pack so save me some food will ya
2009-05-26 4:53 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I hear you on the bike issues. I'm having one of my own at the moment.

Great race for you! It sounds like it went better than planned, despite the bike gearing problem. You're going to be cooking with gas in September.
2009-05-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2172268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
chipit muffin - 2009-05-25 8:35 PM hoping to get to meet you in sept in montreal at the start of the oly hum...i'll be in the back of the pack so save me some food will ya

That sounds great! Will that be your first Oly?!
2009-05-26 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2172603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
prof40 - 2009-05-26 5:53 AM I hear you on the bike issues. I'm having one of my own at the moment.

Great race for you! It sounds like it went better than planned, despite the bike gearing problem. You're going to be cooking with gas in September.

Yeah, despite the chip and bike issues, I'm happy with my time! Thanks for your kind words.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon des Iles Rss Feed