United States
AZ Police Games
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Checked over the bikes, ate breakfast, started packing up camp.
Event warmup:

Light riding, some stretching.
Bike
  • 2h 26m
  • 44 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was a 30 mile loop. The group was led by an officer on a motorcycle. A support van followed the last riders. Additional Officers were to do traffic control and direct riders. The course was not marked. Verbal directions were given at pre-race meeting.

Race started out fine. I spent most of the first part of the race (downhill and flats, slight headwind) between 21 and 23 mph.

At about mile 15 I missed my turn. The course was not marked and the Officer who was supposed to be at the intersection had left (insert donut joke here?)

Consumed gel

I continued about 7 more miles...thought that I had to have missed the turn...turned around, rode the seven miles back and made my turn, got back on course and made the gradual ascent.

Consumed more gel.

After logging 30 miles on my cyclometer I made a mental note that my time was about 1hr. 30min.

At mile 35 I start cramping and wondering if anyone (besides my wife)has noticed that a rider is missing. Made mental note to bring cell phone out for next race.

Mile 39 (or there abouts) climb gets steeper, legs start cramping more, I think I'm tasting salt.

After getting back into Saguoro Nat. Park the road starts to descend again. At about 42 miles the recently dispatched search party finds me and I'm able to draft off them for part of the way back.

Because of cramping, I finish the course off the saddle.Consumed the last of my sports drink right before the finish line.

Glad I had my Camelbak during the event.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched. Tried to get in the car. Legs were too cramped, had to walk and stretch some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting lost.

Event comments:

The race director was very apologetic about the mishap. An officer was supposed to be on scene to direct the turn. I did leave umm...constructive feedback...like maybe marking the course.

Great course...but I didn't need the extra miles in the desert heat.

Not sure how my final results will logged. I did finish the course, though no official time was recorded.

On a positive note, the Mrs. took a Silver Medal for her division.

Still made it out following day for time trial.

Last updated: 2005-04-18 12:00 AM
Biking
02:26:00 | 44 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Heart Rate 162 Avg. 189 Max.
Wind: Headwind
Course: 30 mile loop starting and finishing in Tucson Mountain Park.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge