Whistler Triathlon Club
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 41s
Overall Rank = 10/71
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate a power bar and drank a bit of orange juice. Watched some of the KOS swimmers in the pool before the pre race meeting on the pool deck.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit but that was about it, too nervous for anything else. Wanted to ride the bike for a bit but ran out of time.
Swim
  • 09m 13s
  • 300 meters
  • 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was a little nervous prior to taking off. First 50 meters were pretty much a blank but felt good. Only started swimming 4 weeks prior since high school so I knew I would be slow. Self seeded myself for a 10 minute swim time but actually felt like I had done better than 9:13 when I exited the water. Stroke seemed to come together for the swim better than it had in previous practice sessions. Breathing went well.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely need more time in the pool practicing strokes and building endurance. Breathing could use some work as well. Time to sign up for some lessons.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time added into bike time so not sure of timeframe. Practiced transitions prior to race so felt comfortable and everything went pretty well. Forgot to remove plastic protectors from cleats on bike shoes so had to stop, take them off and run back to deposit them with my gear, lost about 10-15 seconds. Had major problems getting into my bike pedals! Pedals are new so had a hard time locking in, lost about another 10 seconds.

Make sure all gear is ready to go at transitions. Need more practice getting into pedals, onto bike and off riding.
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 14 kms
  • 24.26 km/hr
Comments:

Rough start getting clipped into new pedals. Hilly at the beginning but nothing serious. Passed at least ten people on route and got passed by one with about two KMs to go but caught him soon and passed him. Generally a fun bike ride with awesome scenery. Lots of fun on return leg going down hills. Course was well marked with plenty of officials along it's length.
Did not put enough in my water bottle and paid the price, mouth was pretty dry on return leg. Caught a nasty pothole speeding downhill that I thought was going to buckle my front wheel.

Practice getting clipped into pedals and bringing more to drink. Need to build endurance on bike as well. Keep a better eye out for potholes and speed bumps.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything went well at T2, glad I practiced a bit beforehand. Regretted not wearing a sleeveless top as weather was warmer than anticipated. Grabbed a cup from the water station and was going to splash my face when I realized it was GatorAid and not water, close call!

Wear more appropriate clothing for race conditions. Hydrate more on the bike to prepare for the run. Be more aware of what you are receiving at water stations.
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Felt weak starting the run. Breathing was labored and weather had turned warmer. Pretty much ran at 90% of my ability at the beginning. Usually takes about 2.5 KM to get my breathing and stride into rhythm so just started to feel good and the race was pretty much over. Wore half sleeve top and should have gone sleeveless because felt too hot. Passed about five people on the run.

Need more endurance for the run and need to practice bricks to get a better feel for the legs and lungs going from the bike to run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some liquids and ate a bit after run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

definitely have to improve swim times if I am going to progress in this sport. Since this was my first triathlon, I suppose the lack of knowledge of doing all three sports is sequence was something new.
Small mistakes and miscues added to my overall time but I think overall I made less mistakes than I thought I would.

Event comments:

Had a ton of fun, especially on the bike ride. It was good to rid some of my jitters speaking with other participants and officials (who were all great by the way). I was surprised by how well I did since I decided only one month prior to buy a bike and do this race.
I'd also like to thank all the other athletes who have taken the time to fill out these race reports as they helped me immensely in preparing for my first ever triathlon.

Last updated: 2009-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:13 | 300 meters | 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 50/71
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Indoor 25M pool (12 laps)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:34:37 | 14 kms | 24.26 km/hr
Overall: 5/71
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Single lap on low traffic highway with moderate hills, out and back. Few speed bumps that tended to sneak up on you.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:51 | 04 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Overall: 4/71
Course: Flat paved trail run, out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-27 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Whistler Adult Try-A-Tri

2009-05-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2177142

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-28 9:33 PM

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: RE: Whistler Adult Try-A-Tri
Thanks DrLeah,

I think next up is going to be the Langley try-a-tri (baby steps).  I think I have a ways to go with the swimming thing before I do any open water stuff.  Maybe I'll do one later in the fall.  Trying to spend more time in the pool and feeling more comfortable each time.
Setting my sights on an Olympic for next year (I hope).

2009-05-28 9:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-29 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2180007

Regular
Vancouver

Sounds good.  I think the Langley race is June 28th.  I do live in Vancouver and would love to join some of your training sessions.  Still all a bit intimidating to me so I hope you don't mind a newbie tagging along.

R

2009-05-29 6:53 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Congratulations on your first tri!  Sounds like you had fun and already have plans for the next one which means it was a big success!

2009-05-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2182268

Regular
Vancouver
Thanks Mila,

I really did enjoy doing that little try-a-tri and meeting all the athletes and officials.  Definitely looking forward to the next one and improving my times.

2009-05-31 12:19 AM

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Congratulations!  I did that race last year.  It was very fun and sounds like you enjoyed it!

2009-05-31 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2183878

Regular
Vancouver
Hey Rob,

I know you did the race last year.  I think I read your race report 2 or 3 times before doing the race trying to get a feel for what I was getting myself into.  
Good luck in all your upcoming races, maybe we'll bump into each other sometime and share some tips on how we can improve our swim times, lol.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whistler Adult Try-A-Tri Rss Feed