United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 55s
Overall Rank = 33/372
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Originally planned to get up at 5:30 to get over to the start nice and early. I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep (figures). Had a bowl of oatmeal on the way over, sipped water all morning, and had a clif bar 20 minutes prior to my start.
Event warmup:

Not a whole lot of warming up. The entire start was pretty disorganized. It was run in waves that were supposed to start at specific times, but they were way ahead of schedule. My wave wasn't supposed to line up for the pool until 7:50, but I was already in the water by 7:35 or so. It was F-ing freezing out- about 40 degrees or so while I was waiting on line (wearing nothing but my tri shorts, a fleece, and my towel).
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I found out while on line for the pool that they were not counting the swim to bike transition time (???). Chip time started as you entered the pool area, and stopped when you exited. This was actually a bit of a relief as it was so damned cold and I wanted to get as dry as possible before heading out on the bike. There were 3 pools, 2 indoor, and one outdoor. I wound up in the outdoor, about 3 lanes away from the timing mat- nice. Had a pretty decent swim, no issues with anything, although I was quite suprised when I was told to count my own laps (honor system). Good thing I'm honest.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The whole transition wasn't timed, so I took a good 5 minutes to dry off as best as I could. The temp had creeped up a bit as the sun got higher, but not much. Getting ready for the bike, I felt a bit of core warmth and decided to forgoe any cold weather stuff. Just me, helmet, shoes, tri shorts and top.
Bike
  • 33m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.98 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a bit strange. The course started out with a 3/4 mile downhill into a very sharp right hander into a equally long up hill, followed by another short downhill to an uphill, and repeated this pattern several times for 3 laps. I'm new to tri's, but not biking, and there were some people out there who were serious hazards. On the long downhill I was approaching 40mph, and there were people out there just coasting along at 15, weaving back and forth as if they were on a community trail and not a race course. (ON YOUR LEFT!!!) Some of the turns were sharp, 90 degrees or more, and were sectioned off by cones so that they were no more than 5 or 6 feet wide (who set these up?). Anyway, the bike felt pretty good considering I never really warmed up while riding. I had my one gel towards the end of the first lap, and that seemed to be about perfect timing (need to practice eating on the bike). The finish of the bike was well marked, with a volunteer right at the dismount point. I found it quite odd that I had passed scores of people on the bike, and only one guy went by me (on a really nice Litespeed, I might add). Hmm. Maybe my biking is pretty good after all :-) Either that or all the really fast people had later start times. Yeah, that's probably it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Dismounting the bike, I re-racked, took off the cycling shoes, put on the running shoes and went to tie them. This is where I realized I had no dexterity in my fingers because they were pretty numb from the ride. Eventually I got them tied, replaced my helmet with a hat, and took off for the run start. Now, there was no athletes meeting in the morining so there was much transition confusion- I really had no idea exactly where the run start was and had to ask directions. As I approached the start the volunteer told me my time would pick up again after I crossed the mat at the line. (Screech to a halt) You mean T2 wasn't timed either? Nope. So I took a minute to stretch my quads since they never really warmed up on the bike.
Run
  • 20m 41s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

So off I go on the run. I had walked the course the day before and it was a good thing. It was through a neighborhood (a very hilly neighborhood) and there were lots of turns that were not all manned by volunteers (tiny arrows painted on the street). The few volunteers I did run into couldn't tell me if there was a water station anywhere (turns out there was one at the mid-point). I focused on keeping a high cadence until my legs warmed up, which turned out to be about 1.5 miles into the run. Oddly enough, not one person passed me on the run, and I am NOT a very strong runner. Wierd. More evidence that the fast guys started later. Overall, I was very pleased with my run time, considering the terrain and weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching- not too long of a race at all.

Event comments:

The race was alot of fun overall. Despite the dis-organization, the weather, and the annoying guy who latched on to us for our pre-race walk of the run course (that's another story) I really enjoyed myself.

Last updated: 2005-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/372
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 25 yard lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:22 | 10 miles | 17.98 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A three loop course. ALL HILLS. There were no flat areas- none- you were either going up or down.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:41 | 02.5 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Hills. Nothing but hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-18 2:10 PM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Cure Autism Now (CAN) Triathlon

2005-04-18 4:24 PM
in reply to: #144019

Master
Colorado
Subject: Annoying guy who latched on story

Here you go:

...So my wife, our female friend (gender is important here), and myself head out the day prior to the event to walk the 2.5 mile run course.  It winds through a neighborhood and we were told that a bunch of people got lost last year.  So about 1/4 mile into it this guy comes riding up on his bike and asks us if we are walking the course.  So not knowing what we are getting into, we reply yes and tell him that we drew a map off the one posted in race HQ (mistake #1).  So we're talking about the usual tri stuff and somehow the guy manages to fit into one sentence that HE trains a tri team (really? You look fairly out of shape to me.) and he did 10 events last year and he is pretty much the be all end all of all things tri.  I noticed that he had a pretty nice set of Kryserium (sp) wheels (mistake #2) and the first thing out of his mouth is that for $800 bucks I could have a set too.  Whatever.  Now we are starting to get the picture and decide to move on.  Remember, the three of us are on foot and he is on his Fuji with the $800 wheels (not that this is alot for wheels, but he really seemed impressed by them).  He also had on white cotton socks pulled up mid-calf, but I'll leave his fashion faux-pas out for now...

So we say good bye and continue walking.  "Oh no, I'm coming with you guys.  You have the map".  Doh, Newman!!!, and WTF all at the same time.  At this point we are all still in too nice a mood to tell him what we are thinking.  I'm pretty sure he was half hitting on our friend, but it was such a poor attempt I couldn't really tell.  He kept on muttering something about her joining his tri team that HE trained.  Now we start walking really s-l-o-w in the hopes that he will just take off.  Which he starts to do.  And then he circles back (damn).  When he got back he found us talking about the pool temp.  He stopped (litteraly) our conversation to inform us that he had used his digital thermometer to measure the pool temp, and it was in fact 74 deg, and not the 85 deg they advertised.  Apparantly he brought this up with management and they didn't care that he had "hit the surface with his $300 laser 8 times and he was certain they were incorrect".  (Who the hell travels to a sprint tri in a heated pool with a laser?).  As an aside, I got in that pool the next morning and you could have made pasta in it, but I digress...

So now we are really annoyed that he won't go away, that he keeps on putting a price tag on things, that he won't shut up, and that he is doing the absolutely worst possible picking-up of a woman I have ever seen.  So we walk even slower, and start pointing out that the route is clearly marked (not really) by these little white arrows painted on the street, and start talking a little louder about things that would be of no interest to the tri master and his wheels.  Eventually we stopped and resigned ourselves not to go on until he left.  Fortunately, we were on top of a hill, and he was at the bottom, and I don't think he wanted to ride back up.  So he shouted to us for directions back, which we shouted down to him, and he finally took off.  We waited a few minutes to make sure he was really gone.

I did see him the next day during T2 as he was preparing to go out on the run- bare chested (except for the fur-sweater), overweight, tri-shorts and with BLACK socks pulled up mid-calf.  I gave him a wide berth so that he didn't see me.  I could almost smell the Drakkar Noir as he disappeared down the chute...

eta:  I hope this wasn't O'Dogg.  Then I'm just gonna feel silly...

Edited by Stake 2005-04-18 4:34 PM
2005-04-18 5:08 PM
in reply to: #144133

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Annoying guy who latched on story
That was me. And I think your friend really dug my wheels....
2005-04-18 5:09 PM
in reply to: #144161

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

...they were $800.

2005-04-18 5:34 PM
in reply to: #144161

Master
Colorado

tmwelshy - 2005-04-18 5:08 PM That was me. And I think your friend really dug my wheels....

You do kind of fit the description.  And I can imagine you wearing cologne during an event.  Hmm... 

2005-04-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #144172

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
your friend was hot, but not as hot as some of the babes in my tri class that I teach...

2005-04-19 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Cure Autism Now (CAN) Triathlon
LMAO!!! No, that was NOT me! I have a few pics that I'll post up shortly. I think you were done before I started. I didn't start until at least 9:15. I was third from the last person to start the entire race. I think I'll lie about my swim time next year so I can start ealier!
2005-04-22 11:37 AM

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Cure Autism Now (CAN) Triathlon

Sorry it took me so long to read that story Mike.  But it was worth the wait!   I don't know which was better, the RR or the day before!  (BTW, I also have Ksyrium wheels, and they were only $500!)

Great job on the race and I just LMAO on the story.  Thanks for sharing.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cure Autism Now (CAN) Triathlon Rss Feed