General Discussion Race Reports! » Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal City, Virginia
United States
Arlington Sports, Inc
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Only learned about this event a few days before, and since I needed a long ride for my training plan, thought this would be a good opportunity to ride on a closed course with other riders.

Pre-race routine: (Not recommended) Went to lunch with a few to have a few belgian beers and steak frites. That turned into 5, and mussels, and dessert. yikes. Went to bed around 9 and got up at 6. Was pouring rain, and that in attention to a little bit of a headache (duh!) had little motivation to go. But the timing chip was a rental, so felt I had to at least return it and convinced myself to tough it out. Did nothing to get ready, so fumbled around got my stuff in somewhat of a fog. Burned the eggs and muffines because I wasn't paying attention, and had a protein shake and a bar instead. Had to go to CVS to get safety pins for the race number. Cup of coffee and water on the metro.

Event warmup:

Rode the metro. and biked 2 blocks to the start.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 31s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got there I did fine. I was really happy with my cadence of 90-100, and probably the fastest average speed I've ever done. Not too bad for a 23 year old Raleigh aluminum road bike. Gave me a lot of confidence for my 2 upcoming tri's later this year. Nice group of folks. This was a non-competitive ride, but you still had a couple of groups of really strong riders.
What would you do differently?:

Skip the belgian beer the night before, and get all my stuff ready. lol.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little and drank some powerade. Headed back home on the metro.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs were tired, but aerobically, I felt fine.

On the first leg of the course, got lost and ended up off course. Had to back track. The turnoff could have been better marked.

A new, lighter bike would be nice. Next year after see how I like my first 2 tri's.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the ride. Would do it again.

Last updated: 2009-05-31 12:00 AM
Biking
01:49:31 | 31.07 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was really wet for the first couple of laps due to the heavy, heavy rain earlier that morning. Huge puddles on one part of the course that limited traffic to single file. Pretty flat course except for a short climb to the Air Force Monument. Each loop was 12.5K, and you got a bronze medal for 2 loops, Silver for 4, and Gold for 100K (8 loops)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride Rss Feed