View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lansing, Michigan
United States
Total Time = 1h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/45
Pre-race routine:

got to the race early, was gonna go help set up the BT tent. While attempting to pump up the tires, screwed up the valve extender on the tubular race wheels. I am really really glad i had packed the training wheels so I could at least race today. not cool
Event warmup:

jogged around...
Swim
  • 10m 19s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

suckage....for me the swim was ok, seeing as i have less than 2 hours in the pool the entire year. i didn't have to stop and breast stroke at all, but i hate swimming with a full sleeve wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

first in my age group in something today....yeah
Bike
  • 31m 26s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

My feet were completely numb coming out of the water, got on the bike and figured they would warm up...wrong. It was terrible.

I'm a little disappointed with avg speed on the bike. i plan on spending the next month working on it.

Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

i got yelled at for coming in too hot. i was off the bike and in control at the line so I dont know why he was hollering....
Got off the bike and my feet were still numb, which was nice cause the transition area was covered with rocks.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were still numb. It felt very weird running like that. Overall it was not too bad, not too great, i got passed by alot of people. sigh, need to put some more time in on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and took my shoes off immediately. On Trixie's recommendation I went and found some socks to put on. It took about 15 min for the feeling to come back to my feet. I'm wondering if I had worn socks on the bike if they wouldn't have warmed up faster.

Event comments:

my only complaint about this race was people not following the rules on the bike...drafting was a problem, but not the biggest one. There were so many people riding down the middle or the left (yellow) side of the lane. i saw people pass bikes splitting between a rider on the left and right. if they are going to keep the course that tight next year, they need to really explain and enforce the rules. thankfully there wasn't a ton of traffic.

Last updated: 2009-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:19 | 437 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/45
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: yes
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:26 | 9.94 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/45
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: Hawk Island Triathlon

2009-06-01 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2185776

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon
I was thinking the same thing about the drafting but it was impossible, lanes too narrow, i mean there was no way I coulda adhered to the "3 bike length" rule.

What really got my ire up was the iPod on the run.  Really?  For a 5K?  You need tunes?  Enh, I guess it's just me. I mean it was a park so no traffic risk but I find it kind of crutch like to need tunes for the run, esp. when it's so short. 

Good job!  I only wish I could run as fast as you!!
2009-06-01 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job on the race!  You sure do swim fast for someone with only 2 hours in the pool this year!  Yikes! :-)

My feet were frozen too on the run.  It's happend to me once before after an 1:20 bike ride.  I did a little brick afterwards and they were numb, but only for like .5 mile. I hadn't swum before hand, and had socks on for the bike.  During the race they were numb past the turnaround!!!  Weird!

That is so cool that you race with your Dad!  And I'm glad you had the spare wheels to ride! 
2009-06-01 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Great race yesterday.  It was nice meeting you and your dad. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawk Island Triathlon Rss Feed