General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 19m 20s
Overall Rank = 51/74 (F)
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:00am and tried to eat some oatmeal. Got my stuff together and headed down to the race site. Had a coffee and PB sandwich on way.
Event warmup:

I swam before the swim start to warm up and try out the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 52m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim time includes run up to transition but I'm still a little disappointed in this time. I felt like I was swimming pretty good (for me) and I figured I would have a better time than in Gulf coast. I did get a little anxiety during the middle of the swim but overall this was pretty uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I dunno not much else I can do.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I had to pee and I couldn't while swimming (I tried, trust me) and there were no porta pots in transition. SO I stood at my rack and peed. I'm sure this ate up some time. I then took off my wetsuit pretty easily and got my shoes on and was off.

Pee in the water :) Also, having to put sunscreen on is time consuming but there is really nothing I can do about that. It's needed.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out slower to get my heart rate in check per the advice of others. I really never felt like I was pushing too hard or that I was out of a comfort zone. Not sure how good that is but this course doesn't exactly lend itself to getting aero and going. There are lots of gear changes and with me using a disk wheel for the first time in a race I was being cautious where I felt I needed to be. I barely saw any women out on the course and I think I may have passed 10 and those would be the 10 that I saw. It was pretty desolate out there except for the crazy dogs that chased me. By the end of the 56 I was ready to be off my bike.

Follow my nutrition plan better. I only ate 1 gu at the beginning of the ride and didn't really have much else other than my infinite and some water at the stops.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

eh. Don't really remember much about this. I got in and got out.

Since I can't remember what I did I can't comment on what I would do different.
Run
  • 2h 12m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

eh. Started out terrible with bad stomach pains and nausea. I had to walk for about a quarter to half a mile after the first aid station because I felt sick. After the nausea passed I ran from stop to stop (at a pretty good pace) but I would stop for way too long at some stops grabbing oranges or water or whatever. Since my stomach hurt I only drank water on the course and I didn't take any gu's or other nutrition. My legs felt good and wanted to run but my stomach felt so bad I had to stop at the aid stations. Looking back I should have passed through fairly quickly but I think I let it get to my head. It is frustrating when you are trying to race and your stomach is so bloated you could float away. Around mile 6 I couldn't hold my pee in any longer so I went off course slightly to use the porta pot and headed back out. All of these little stops just add up to one big slow run. Anyway, during the course of 13 miles I actually managed to run down a few girls and lots of men. That was kinda fun and helped with my motivation.

1. I am actively trying to figure out my stomach issues.
2. Be better hydrated on bike so I don't have to drink so much on the run so that doesn't result in me having to stop to pee. Although I suppose that's a good thing-me being hydrated.
3. Step up my mental game. It's there, I just need to pull it out of the clouds.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the tent and cheered in the rest of our club.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me on the swim. The hills on the bike. My stomach on the run.

Event comments:

This is a great race. Not one that many people do but that's for obvious reasons. They are scared. heh. Volunteers were amazing and stops had everything you could need/want. The venue is perfect and the course will make you honest.

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:47 | 2112 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 71/74 (F)
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca sleevless
Course: Clockwise rectangle in a beautiful lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:35 | 56 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Overall: 43/74 (F)
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: A big loop with little out and backs. Extremely hilly with long gradual climbs and lots of rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 46/74 (F)
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills with some shade on a closed course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-03 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2009-06-04 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2192172

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

Great job!  That was one challenging course, for sure!  I loved this race   Do you use the spray sunsreen?  If not, that could save some time.  It sounds like you could definintely take in some more calories...I see you use infinite - maybe talk to them about the stomach issues and getting your formula dialed in.  I had to talk myself out the leg cramps I was getting on many occasions...such head games!!!  Great job on a strong run finish. 

2009-06-04 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on a tough course! That is funny about peeing at the rack! And you got third in your AG... I didn't know that!
2009-06-05 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Sounds like a challenging race, nice job getting through your issues and finishing strong!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed