Kansas City, Missouri
United States
70F / 21C
Total Time = 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 34/1267
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/103
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 am, had some toast and coffee before heading out the door.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race very laid back and had a worry free attitude. Did a warm up run before the race and did not feel great. Legs felt slow and heavy; did not feel fast. This made me nervous at the starting line; which in turn made me have to go to the bathroom (which I didn't do).
Run
  • 42m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Took first mile relatively easy, didn't push it. Eventually all the butterflies left and I got into a good grove. Weaved in and out of the BOP half-marathoners from mile 2-4. At mile two the actual hospital hill began and a strong head wind pick up, but it felt good and it cooled me down. That hill wasn't as horrible as expected and seemed to go by relatively quick. The worst hill (trinity hill?, near the Liberty Memorial) at mile 5ish sucked! Really had to pee around mile 3; wondered if I could successfully pee myself and still run at my current pace. Quickly dismissed that thought.

Had a small group of three other runners around me once the 10k pack broke away from the half marathon course. They really helped me keep my pace, and I appreciated them being there. Overall, very happy with my performance in my first 10k.
What would you do differently?:

Train more hills and do longer training runs. I decided at the last minute to switch from the 5k race to the 10k to challenge myself. This perhaps left me uncertain about my performance heading into the race - a lot of unknowns.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jog around the block. Chatted with friends. Cheered Carly on to her finish of the half-marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The amount of preparation for the race distance.

Event comments:

In my limited experience, this race has always been well organized and is a great event for the Kansas City community. Looking forward to doing it next year.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:58 | 06.2 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 0/1267
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively hilly course, but not too brutal and unforgiving. One of the big races in the community and had record turnout. Fun course to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes