General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Middleboro YMCA Tispaquin 5K,10K Run and 5K walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

9th Annual Middleboro YMCA Tispaquin 5K,10K Run and 5K walk - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middleboro, Massachusetts
United States
YMCA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 23s
Overall Rank = 42/94
Age Group = Male 40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/07
Pre-race routine:

Had usual coffee, bagel with cream cheese, and hard-boiled egg. Tried to stretch out some, still tender left knee and not sure will run - to be a race start time decision.
Event warmup:

Half-mile walk/jog to the registration area. Tried to loosen up a little, while not exerting my still sore and swollen left knee.
Run
  • 50m 23s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not traing this past week for the race. Injury to left knee earlier in the week had shut me down. While favoring my left knee, seemed to put additional stress on right calf. Pushed about as hard as I dared throughout run; pulling back each time my left knee or right calf started to hurt.
Initial run pace had me doing 7:40 miles for first two miles, completed 4 miles in about 32 minutes, and finished up with a net 8:08 pace. I am pleased with that pace as it is faster than my 10k training run.
Led a friend (Keith) thru first 4 miles. Tried to keep pace with him over last 2.2 miles, but just could not. Mentally, it was difficult to run my race and not push too hard to run with someone a little stronger on this particular race day (see discussion of prior knee issues). Was finally able to get him out of my mind, and continue running my race.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to injure myself the week before a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walked around and stretched. Also had some banana and oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Concern for prior injury to left knee.

Event comments:

Friendly people putting on a local race. Nice scenic course. Would run this again.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:23 | 06.2 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/07
Overall: 42/94
Performance: Good
Course: Start was about 200 yards on dirt road, then 6 miles of fairly flat streets. Some climbs, but nothing very major. One last climb about mile 5, then slow downhill towards finish. Turn into Camp entrance, and 200 yards to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-06 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: 9th Annual Middleboro YMCA Tispaquin 5K,10K Run and 5K walk
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Middleboro YMCA Tispaquin 5K,10K Run and 5K walk Rss Feed