General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton World Famous Mud Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Camp Pendleton World Famous Mud Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Camp Pendleton Mud Run
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Women 25-29
Age Group Rank = 121/186
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my sister's, coffee and a donut at Starbucks, got to the shuttles by around 7. Met up with our dad and friends, waited around.
Event warmup:

We got in the pack around 20 minutes before the start.....no warmup, we weren't going to be racing hard.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The 3 of us (my sister, her boyfriend & I) ran together. During the first mile or two, there were a lot of points where the trail bottlenecked and we ended up walking in a traffic jam. We made a pit stop around mile 2, then encountered the long uphill section. My sister's BF and I ran the hills, then waited for my sis at the top. Once we got to the mud, we all pretty much stuck together. There were no marines at the first wall (that I saw) but a couple of really nice guys offered to let me step on them, which was helpful. Unfortunately with the mud on the other side, I couldn't see what I was landing on, so I twisted my ankle. That left me limping for a few minutes. The lake crossing was fantastic, and everyone around us was commenting on it. The water was nice and cool, and the current created by the mass of people just propelled us along. I twisted my ankle again at the second wall, and fell over at some point in one of the mud pits. The slippery slope near the end wasn't very slippery this year. The marines were spraying water at the top, but most of it ended up in a little erosion channel down the middle of the trail, with mostly dry dirt on either side. The final mud pit was plenty muddy though, we all scraped up our knees crawling through it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I wasn't trying to go fast, this was a fun training day.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for our other friends to finish, met up with dad & husband, shower, beer, and burgers on the way out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The traffic jams, and my sister! She'd kick my ass in a swim though.

Event comments:

Good times! We'll be back next year, although hopefully this time on a Saturday, and with a team if we can get one together.

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/186
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Shortly after the start, we were sprayed down by water trucks. After that it was a mile or so of sand and dirt trails, followed by a shallow river crossing. Then more dirt, and a long hill. At about mile 3.5 we encountered the first real mud, and a climbing wall. After that was a neck-deep lake crossing, followed by more mud and then more dirt trail. I don't exactly remember what order all of this was in, but I know at some point we had to crawl through a tunnel, and there was another shallow river crossing and more sand. There was another wall surrounded by mud pits, a long steep hill that had some mud, and the final mud pit, which we had to crawl through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes