General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy San Jose Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muddy Buddy San Jose - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Jose, California
United States
CM Sports LLC
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m
Overall Rank = /1175
Age Group = old lady again!
Age Group Rank = 41/62
Pre-race routine:

potty trips, hide in car for warmth. foggy, cool breeze was blowing through set up, brrrr. We knew from last year we had about an hour after first horn before our wave would start so we sat in the car and chatted. Perfect - when we decided to queue up, we only waited for one wave to go, then it was us! It was better to have it cool than last year's blistering heat.
Event warmup:

I biked first again this year, the course was the same: about a 10K total divided into 5 segments. The first leg had a STEEP hill to conquer. Obstacle was a net to crouch/crawl under. 2nd leg was mostly down hill with a couple short uphills. Obstacle was a 6' climbing wall and net down climb. 3rd leg was again mostly downhill, screaming fast with tears flying out my eyes. Obstacle was a inflatable slide which with were misting with water to make more slippery. 4th leg was mostly flat. Obstacle was a ~3' high, 20' long balance beam (why at the end of the race with wobbly legs?!). 5th leg again flat. Final obstacle -- crawl through MUD PIT!
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Awesome! Except the one looming hill on the 2nd leg which I walked up (as did most cyclists), I ran my whole race! I felt strong and happy for pretty much every step of the run segments. The temperature (mild/cool) helped me run the whole thing. Fitness must have played a part too. :-)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

None of the obstacles gave me much grief. last year the balance beam was a mental task paired with tired legs. This year I could be amused about the challenge and just did it without much physical fatigue or mental taxation to think about. The misted slide obstacle was a bit annoying - climbing was slippery and then the bottom of the slide had a puddle to splash down in, or carefully avoid. I did the latter.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh goodness, that first hill. It's a bear to get up! but this year I knew what to expect, and I was further at the front of the bike pack, I did better (I think!). I didn't try to bike when it was too steep, just hopped off and pushed the bike as I walked. I felt like I'd have no legs to run at the top but adrenaline and legs kicked in. The other bike sections are soooo mild in comparison, there's not much to discuss; fly downhill, avoid slower bikers and runners. hangon over potholes. whee!
Post race
Warm down:

shower off the mud. shower again, again. change clothes. get ID. get beer. relax. we watched an almost cat-fight between to women who'd obviously been making use of the beer garden offerings in more volume than us. They decided to shake it off before being tossed in the mud pit to work it out. drive back home. start laundry (hmm, laundry?!).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/1175
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/1175
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Muddy Buddy San Jose

2009-06-08 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2203732

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Muddy Buddy San Jose
Wow! Really great job with the running! I'm so glad all the training has paid off (and sure, the cool temps probably helped a bit) and you're feeling good. I'm super impressed that you agreed to do the first bike leg for the second year in a row, knowing how insane it is. (I told Shizu if we do it next year she has to bike first.) Sounds like the obstacles were fun too, although the water on the slide is kind of weird.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy San Jose Rss Feed