General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Lookin' to join the fun Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-21 1:48 PM

Northern KY
Subject: Lookin' to join the fun
I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Natalie. I live in Covington, KY, which is about 10 minutes outside Cincinnati, OH. I am 22, married, and have an apricot poodle named zeke, he's my baby.

I have always been an active person, playing soccer, basketball and fast-pitch softball in college and continuing my soccer career into college. I wouldn't exactly call myself an endurance athlete. I've never really enjoyed running, but have always wished my aerobics abilities were stronger. With the upcoming desire to have a baby within the next year, I figure what is a better way to get my body in top shape for a pregnancy than training for a multi-sport event.

So here is where I am. Four weeks into my training for a duathlon on June 5, 5k-22k-5k. I am trying to work up the nerve to possibly do a tri, but the swimming part scares me. I figure a good base of boosting my aerobic ability and muscle strength would help me build up to a swim. We shall see.

Any words of encouragement or tips would be greatly appreciated.

"We are not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Natalie

2005-04-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: #146031

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Lookin' to join the fun
Welcome!  good luck in your du.  The swimming part....well, it just takes practice....work on it and it will get better....
2005-04-21 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus, Ohio

nataliegardner21 - 2005-04-21 1:48 PM  I am trying to work up the nerve to possibly do a tri, but the swimming part scares me.

Welcome, Natalie. Glad to see a fellow Ohioan on here (I'm in Columbus). My advice for this is first, build up to the swim. Don't try to go all out if you're not used to swimming. Look over the training programs on here, pick one that starts with small swimming distances and stick to it. Before you know it, you'll be swimming like it's nothing.

The best advice I ever received about the swim leg was this: stay on the outside of the pack during the race if you're a beginner. You'll get smashed otherwise. It's always worked for me.

Oh, and this is from my wife (who's had three boys): "Nothing prepares you for pregnancy." (and she was a gold-glove softball player in college).

If you need an accountability partner, let me know.

I wish you the best!

Jason

2005-04-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #146255

Northern KY
What is an accountability partner, I assume the name explains it all, but could you give me some details.

And this is for your wife: poor girl, tell me you at least have a pet that is female?! I am under the poor misconception that maybe, just maybe if I am in good shape before I get pregnant and stay as active as possible throughout my pregnancy that I won't be too tired and my body won't morph into some big blob! I know reality will sooner or later kick in, for now, denial is working for me.

Thanks for the advice about swimming, I think I might give it a try, as soon as the weather warms up, I'm a total whimp when it comes to cold water.

Natalie
2005-04-23 8:01 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus, Ohio

I responded via PM. Hate to have posts that don't benefit everyone cluttering up the threads.

Check your inbox.

Jason

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Lookin' to join the fun Rss Feed