Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » June 13 - Ottawa Riverkeeper Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-11 12:20 PM

New user
Subject: June 13 - Ottawa Riverkeeper
Hey!

Anyone else doing this event?  I just got a email stating that the water temperature is going to be 16 degrees +/- 2 degrees!!!  They're giving the option of going to a shorter race or switching to a duathlon for free.

I signed up for the sprint distance. I'm trying to decide what to do.  I have a sleeveless wetsuit but I'm not sure if that's enough.  I'm crazy chicken when it comes to cold water...

2009-06-12 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2210711

Subject: RE: June 13 - Ottawa Riverkeeper

I am doing the Olympic distance at the Riverkeeper.  If you own a wetsuit and double cap you should not have a problem unless it happens to be 16 degrees -2 degrees.

I just completed Mooseman Half Ironman last weekend and while the swim was cold 60 degrees (just a tad under 16 degrees celsius)  it really was not that bad - just a little numbing of the feet.  Hands and head were fine.  The only thing I changed for the rest of the day was to put socks on before the bike instead of after - no other parts of my body were cold.

Another tip is to use ear plugs, it helps prevent the ice cream headache feeling from the cold water.

Have a good race,
Rob Allen
Race Director
www.cornwalltriathlon.com

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » June 13 - Ottawa Riverkeeper Rss Feed