Bellin
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 39s
Overall Rank = 3300/14028
Age Group = F 19-24
Age Group Rank = 163/762
Pre-race routine:

Toast, water, and on my way.....with over 14,000 participants, it's best to arrive early.
Event warmup:

Because of the large number of participants, they did a wave start this year, each 5 minutes apart. Great idea and no complaints about this. But, long story short, what do people NOT understand about a simple concept that is well explained when you register, in your packet, by the announcers, and by the large flags matching your bib color (it's all color coded) and directing you where you should be? Sorry to get off on a rant, but is it that difficult to follow simple directions for safety?!?! Issue #2 (as long as I'm on a role ;)) is please don't sign up for under 10 min miles if you're going to be walking not even 1 mile into the race. That's the point of the waves. I don't enjoy tripping over people who suddenly stop running. I realize things happen, but it seemed like an awful lot of people had a walk/run program going, and that's fine....just sign up for the correct wave so I don't sprain my ankle. With over 14,000 participants, there is virtually no place to quickly get around people who suddenly stop running. It's like a chain reaction. One person stops and all of a sudden a line of people are trying not to collide.
Run
  • 56m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering I just began running again one month ago, I'm quite pleased. I paced myself pretty well, especially without knowing what I could pull off. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, but I was able to hold a pretty consistent pace. At 3.1, I was at 28:35 and decided to speed up a bit since I was feeling good. Mile 4 I was at 36ish minutes and I did what I could to finish in 9ish minute miles.

Oh, and how special is it that I was exactly the 3300 participant to cross the finish line?!?!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than train more than 1 month before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

They changed things this year and once across the finish line, we had maybe 1/2 mileish walk to a park. On the way we got water, a goody bag of food and bananas, which by the way, I dropped half of when I peeled it open....that was the biggest disappointment :(. I LOVE bananas and am very particular....the ones at races seem to be perfect, though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

I love this race. The support from the community is incredible. So many people cheering us on, people stand out in their yards and spray hoses to cool us down, and despite being the 4th (thanks, Sarah!) largest 10K in the US, it runs smoothly with a lot of volunteers, and everything is planned out very well. Tons of medical help all along the course as well. I'm amazed by the kids who run this. The schools in the area have a program that trains them for the race which is optional after school. I'm talking probably 7yrs and up.....I could not believe my 8yr old cousin ran it (so sad I missed a picture with him). When I was 14 I thought 6 miles was FOREVER and these kids are doing it. It's great, especially when obesity numbers are alarming!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:39 | 06.21 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 163/762
Overall: 3300/14028
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, good roads, a nice downhill around mile 3, no complaints! TONS of people all over the course cheering, music, people put sprinklers out....it's great.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-13 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: Bellin Run

2009-06-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2215291

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Bellin Run
Great race Megan! Congrats on an awesome pace after being off of training for a while. I've gotta try this race some year when my husband's off work.

I had to laugh about your rant...yeah, if someone suddenly stopped in front of me within a mile of starting, I think I would have run them over with that huge crowd! LOL

BTW...paper said it is the 4th largest 10k in the nation. Not bad for little 'ol Green Bay eh?
2009-06-13 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Nice race. The only way to correct wave-jumping is for the race directors to guard the position of each wave. Use fences to make a corral, then guard the entrance and have something on people's bibs to indicate where they belong. People will try to move up no matter what. Heck, I would too. It's no fun at the back. You might recommend stronger wave policing to the race directors if it bothers you.
2009-06-13 8:13 PM

Congrats on the nice race my recently graduated favorite super bowl losing slave BT cheesehead pal!

Don't forget me now!
2009-06-13 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin

Wow!  Excellent job! 

2009-06-13 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2215652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
skavoovie - 2009-06-13 7:52 PM Nice race. The only way to correct wave-jumping is for the race directors to guard the position of each wave. Use fences to make a corral, then guard the entrance and have something on people's bibs to indicate where they belong. People will try to move up no matter what. Heck, I would too. It's no fun at the back. You might recommend stronger wave policing to the race directors if it bothers you.

This is exactly what the race had.....color coded bibs, flags matching the bib color you're to be at by the start, volunteers guarding the entrance when each wave was asked to move forward......but, with 14,000+ people, you can't catch them all. It simply irritates me that, yes, nothing new, people choose to do what they want rather than what's asked of them, which is not a life or death situation in this case. The only downfall is waiting 5 or 10 minutes for your proper wave to start. So, it's not a race complaint, it's just a people complaint.....I just can't understand what's so hard about following directions or understanding the directions. I just like to complain, too

2009-06-13 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Thank you, all!

Dave- uh, yeah.....LOL!!!

Sarah- thanks for the correction!!! I heard something about top 10 largest and assumed my sources (word of mouth....I should know better!) were correct! Thank you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bellin Run Rss Feed