General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else claustrophobic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-24 11:16 AM

Sarasota, FL
Subject: Anyone else claustrophobic?
My tri is May 15. Even though I am a fairly decent swimmer, I enjoy the visibility of either a pool or the ocean. The swimming part of the race is going to be in a lake/lagoon and I am very nervous about looking down in the water and seeing nothing but blackness. Anyone else feel the same? Any tips to overcome this fear?

2005-04-24 11:55 AM
in reply to: #147233

User image

Veteran
New Haven, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Anyone else claustrophobic?
The only thing I would recommend is that you get out into the lake/lagoon and practice. Once you gain confidence, slowly but surely, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend waiting until the day of the race and hope you'll be okay. That sounds like uneeded stress during an event that should be nothing but fun. Best of Luck!

Edited by olddskool 2005-04-24 11:55 AM
2005-04-24 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I assume you are not claustrophobic if you close your eyes.

I think if you swim with your eyes closed when you are looking down and when it makes you claustrophibic, and when you need to sight, you raise your head out of the water, and open your eyes, then when you put your head back into the water, close your eyes.

Essentionally, closing your eyes and looking at the darkness of the water is the same thing.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by auto208562 2005-04-24 12:00 PM
2005-04-24 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
yeah- I'm totally terrified of this part too. I won't ever snorkle or scuba dive (even though you can see forever). My origional plan was to wait until the race and make myself do it- I figured I'd just have more incentive to go fast to get out of the water. The other colorado people have been great and have convinced me that I really shouldn't do that, that I should try it out first. So, I'll go with them as a group one time if they do that before my race, otherwise I'll just have to go myself.

I also heard that you can get tri- goggles which cover more of your face so you don't have to lift your whole head out of the water to see, you can just lift to your eyes and spot. apparently these help with dealing with the waves, and splahing from other people too.

Good luck in your tri! is it your first?
2005-04-24 5:59 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.

practice ahead of time worked for me.

At one race last season the director announced the depth at the turn around bouy to be about 90 feet. I think if I hadn't had two races (shallower water) and an open water workout with two other BT'ers  prior to that information, I would have been significantly distracted come race day.

obviously, don't do an open water workout alone.

2005-04-24 6:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Open water freaks me out. Period. The greenness is what is the problem, I get clausterphobic too. When I get kicked I am glad because I know I'm not alone, I'm going in the right direction.

I suggest doing a stroke other than free while you work on getting your heart rate down. Its all about getting comfortable in the water. Switch to free when you feel calm. If the panic starts to set in again just switch back to a different stroke. This is just what I've done in some of my races. My first open water race only 10% of it was done freestyle because I was so freaked out. Mind you I had never practiced it either. On my second go, 66% was freestlye. So I'm getting closer.

I think the more times you can get in the lake to practice the better it will be. I am hoping to get out to the lake once a week starting in May.

2005-04-24 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

I don't really think of myself as clautrophobic, but I did freak out in the open water in my race last year.  For me, having all these bodies kicking, climbing over me, and not being able to see an empty spot to swim to made me want to try to sneak out and call it quits.  (Truthfully, if there hadn't been a beach full of on-lookers I would have loved to quit, but my ego got the better part of me.)  Once the other swimmers were able to break away and I was given back my own space, I was able to calm down.  Anytime I started to feel anxious I switched to back stroke (not so much to propel me forward, but it's probably the most relaxing stroke for me).

I haven't figured out how to get any open water practice in before my race in June, but I do plan to start at the pack and outside of my wave.

2005-04-25 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
I am a little bit claustrophobic, and this does seem to contribute to feeling nervous in open water swims. I have been doing triathlons for 6 years, and have slowly managed to go from a panic attack in my first race to ocasional twinges of unease while open water swimming now. Reading race reports on this and other sites you will see that many people panic in their first race, and it catches most completely by surprise. Some suggestions: Practice your open water swimming as much as possible, if the water is going to be cold and murky then practice under these conditions; as suggested earlier in this thread, try a Seal Mask or other triathlon mask; keep your breathing under control, particularly early in the race; start at the back or side of your wave.

DaveH
2005-04-25 2:28 PM

User image

I experience that sense of claustrophobia too in the water.  It is something I overcome with practice and mental effort.
2005-04-25 3:56 PM

Boston, MA
Open water is pretty scary to me for some reason. Actually i know the reason, i dont want to get eaten by something. My first and only race to date, the beginning opf my swim was the first time i ever actually swam in the ocean. To be honest i tried to get out there earlier to get aclimated a bit but i never really motivated and did it. I figured baptism of fire would work just as well. It tool a little getting used to but i eased into into it ok.

In retrospect i would have got in the water at least once before hand though. Even that one time i think would have helped.
2005-04-25 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

see below

Edited by aims 2005-04-25 4:16 PM

2005-04-25 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA

I am so claustrophobic I can't even watch submarine movies. Go figure!

I practice the murky lake swims by closing my eyes when lap swimming in the pool, except when I turn my head to breathe. To keep some of the panic at bay during the tri,  I practice the same technique in the open water swims.  It helps I promise.

2005-04-25 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Wow, I'm just the opposite! I find swimming in a pool kind of suffocating and claustrophobic with the lanes and black lines and chlorine and hot air and noise. The whole scene is just sensory overload. It gives me headaches. Open water seems peaceful and free to me by comparison. I'd swim in open water every day if I had better weather for it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else claustrophobic? Rss Feed