General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-17 1:52 AM
in reply to: #2221594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers?
Wow, it sounds like we are pretty lucky here in Las Vegas, for almost all of our roads have a bike lane with signs reminding drivers to "shre the road".  Do we have our share of jerks, sure, but they would just as soon run down other drivers, people sitting on bus stops, or jay walkers down on the strip as cyclists.

My training buddy got shot in the butt with a paint gun the other day, and we have had stuff thrown at us as the drivers fly by, but mostly things aren't too bad.

2009-06-17 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2222169

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
2009-06-17 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2223298

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Great idea.  If someone gives you the finger, you can shoot it off.
2009-06-17 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2223301

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
newleaf - 2009-06-17 6:09 AM

Come spend some time down in FL with the crazies and meth-heads and you'll change your tune.  I've had 2 separate occasions where I would have felt MUCH more comfortable with a sidearm.

The group I ride with got run off the road this last Sunday (I had to skip the ride).  Unprovoked.  One of the guys in the group yelled at the driver and the driver  turned around and tried to do it again.  (Plate was reported, awaiting outcome)  IMHO it evens the odds a little.

Maybe Xlabs makes an attachment for that

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-06-17 6:43 AM
2009-06-17 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2223343

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
TriRSquared - 2009-06-17 7:37 AM

Come spend some time down in FL with the crazies and meth-heads and you'll change your tune.  I've had 2 separate occasions where I would have felt MUCH more comfortable with a sidearm.

The group I ride with got run off the road this last Sunday (I had to skip the ride).  Unprovoked.  One of the guys in the group yelled at the driver and the driver  turned around and tried to do it again.  (Plate was reported, awaiting outcome)  IMHO it evens the odds a little.

Meh, there are crazies everywhere.

But I see what you mean... if the guy in the group, you know, the one who yelled at the driver, had a sidearm, he wouldn't have had to waste his breath yelling... he could have just shot him.

Not sure how it evens the odds... if a car comes up behind you and runs you off the road... what do you do, shoot at him from the ditch you've been run into?  What if the sidearm is pinned between you and the ground, and you're clipped in, and can't get to it?  Perhaps a sidearm on each hip would help in this case.  I guess what you'd need to do is fire a preemptive warning shot at any car that comes close.  That'll learn 'em.

Edited by newleaf 2009-06-17 6:53 AM
2009-06-17 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2222988

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-17 7:03 AM

Master
Charlotte
gonnafinish plscheer - 2009-06-16 1:46 PM
I need some spicy replies (that won't get me arrested) to shut these losers up! 

"Your just jealous of my spandex dude!"

Edited by bgraboski 2009-06-17 7:05 AM
2009-06-17 7:10 AM

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
The only thing I've had to deal with, besides almost getting run over by a school bus packed with kids, is a car full of college boys yelling 'nice a$$' one day.  I caught them at the next light and let them know that their moms all thought my a$$ was cute while I was... uh... discussing poetry... with them on the previous night.  I'm paraphrasing here.  

Edited by olliedawg 2009-06-17 7:10 AM
2009-06-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2223368

Champion
SRQ, FL
newleaf - 2009-06-17 7:50 AM

But I see what you mean... if the guy in the group, you know, the one who yelled at the driver, had a sidearm, he wouldn't have had to waste his breath yelling... he could have just shot him.

Not sure how it evens the odds... if a car comes up behind you and runs you off the road... what do you do, shoot at him from the ditch you've been run into?  What if the sidearm is pinned between you and the ground, and you're clipped in, and can't get to it?  Perhaps a sidearm on each hip would help in this case.  I guess what you'd need to do is fire a preemptive warning shot at any car that comes close.  That'll learn 'em.

We can discuss this like adults or you can be sarcastic and passive-aggressive.  Your choice.

You assumption is that the weapon now replaces all other forms of action.  Glad you are anti-gun.

No he would not have shot him.  However take this scenario (which happened to me years ago).  Guy runs you off the road.  You yell at him (I think you have every right to).  Guy stops his car and comes out with a tire iron.  What are you supposed to do?  Luckily I had enough time to get up and run away.  But what if I did not?

Replace firearm with some other non-lethal protection such as taser or mace.  Does that make you happier?

Of course based on our discussions over in COJ I do not expect you to agree with me.

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-06-17 7:36 AM
2009-06-17 7:40 AM

Toronto

In Toronto I prefer to take the high road primarily to maintain my sanity and my security. There is a large initiative in our city to add significant kms of bike lanes which has promted the media to call it the "War on Cars". Needless to say some drivers, fueled by the media, are angry.

The laws of probability dictate that if you maintain a combative cyclist attitude a driver will eventually do something stupid to you. Plus if you get ticked off every time a driver acts inappropriately whether it be a driving manoeuvre or a profanity laced tirade you will end up a pretty angry person yourself. Stand up for yourself if it is appropriate but most of time it is just not worth it.

To the theme of the thread - If I do say something it is usually that I pay my share of property taxes which pay for these roads. Not much they can come back with other than another FU.

2009-06-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2223467

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2222399

Master
Oceanside, California
eabeam - 2009-06-16 2:42 PM Slap the hood, scream, and drop to the payment...

Talk incoherently about premeditation to anyone that you think heard the original comments.

Don't actually explicitly lie or threaten.

Ok, in all reality, in my pursuit of my Doctor of Education - I came to the conclusion that I knew before I ever went to college.

"If you try to teach a lesson to a stupid A-Hole, they don't learn the lesson. They usually walk away more stupid and more of an A-Hole."

I used to live across from a little league field in Somerville. (12 Simpson Ave)... if the driver was one of those little league dads.

There will be nothing you can do but stay as safe as possible.

I have been in two accidents in Cambridge/Somerville.
None of them required a hospital, but I did have a thigh bruise and the mother-of-all-charlie-horses.
2009-06-17 11:28 AM

Expert
Niskayuna, New York

Its just not worth it, as I learned last year when a car tried to follow me home for 4 miles before I cleverly lost him by pulling a turnaround on a hill where he had no place to do the same.

I did crack myself up once when a pedestrian looked both ways and still decided to cross the street right in front of me, causing me to nearly steer into on coming traffic. I shouted out "ARE YOU BLIND OR STUPID?!" as I buzzed by him.

2009-06-17 12:37 PM

Other peoples story's made me want to share one of mine.  I do not recomend doing this, but it did really feel good.

Back when I was in college I was commuting to work on my bike.  I hade a U lock in my bag.  A group of punk Kids probably in high school drove by slowly and Doored me.  Knocking me off my bike and into the grass by the road.  THen they proceeded to stop and mock me. (dumb Idea for them) I was fired up and got up and was yelling at them.  They were all smiling and laughing, they thought it was hilarious.  I pulled my U lock out of my bag and said something to the extent of, "you think you're funny,  I show you something funny" (i'm sure I had many mored explitives in there).  I took a swing with all my might and slammed the end of my U lock into there windsheild and spiderwebbed it.  I picked my bike up and rode off as they gawked not knowing what to do.

2009-06-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2223448

Master
Portland, Oregon
TriRSquared - 2009-06-17 5:34 AM
newleaf - 2009-06-17 7:50 AM

We can discuss this like adults or you can be sarcastic and passive-aggressive.  Your choice.

You assumption is that the weapon now replaces all other forms of action.  Glad you are anti-gun.

No he would not have shot him.  However take this scenario (which happened to me years ago).  Guy runs you off the road.  You yell at him (I think you have every right to).  Guy stops his car and comes out with a tire iron.  What are you supposed to do?  Luckily I had enough time to get up and run away.  But what if I did not?

Replace firearm with some other non-lethal protection such as taser or mace.  Does that make you happier?

Of course based on our discussions over in COJ I do not expect you to agree with me.

And you might be surprised that I agree with you. That carry pack is okay, but we've got one that is a little less bulky - lays flat to the body better. Very unnoticeable.

When we were stopped at a light and were physically harassed by a homeless(?) man demanding change and acting aggressive and really weird, it was certainly nice to know that the last word would be ours should he decide that attacking us was a really good idea. The situation resolved uneventfully, after the screamed obscenities etc stopped, and he went off to harass people in the cars also stopped at the light. It was scary. 
2009-06-17 3:02 PM

Regular
to those who are considering getting a CCW and carrying a handgun, it's very imporant to be careful with how and when you decide to carry and draw on someone: you are taught in the CCW classes that a gun is a LAST option, and it is only to be used if you or someone in your group is in fear of their life.
Therefore, there is no protection for the CCW holder if they shoot at a car AFTER the car tries to run them off the road. once the car drives away, it is technically no longer a threat, just like you can't shoot someone in the back as they are running away after taking your wallet. it's a crappy law, and i don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the law.

but to those situations where the individual in a car gets out with a tire iron or other weapon, drawing/flashing your piece could be a good way to shut them up and stop a possible ugly and violent situation from escalating.

2009-06-17 7:24 PM

Veteran
Ridgewood, NJ
I always go with the "Jerk Store" line when looking for a witty comeback.

Seriously though, what's with the honking as they go by you. That's really annoying. Not really dangerous but annoying.
2009-06-17 7:40 PM

Alaska
I dont know how many places have this ordinance, but I like it!  We are also still working on not only sharing the road but bike lanes and trails also. 
Bicycle harassment ordinance passes unanimously  http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/06/16/bicy/
The ordinance makes harassment of bicyclists — including throwing objects, verbal assault and other offenses — a misdemeanor offense punishable by a $1,000 fine or one year of jail time
2009-06-17 8:12 PM

Veteran
I just glare, and if I keep catching up to them I make angry eye contact with them.
2009-06-18 6:53 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Though I'm dying to yell an obscenity and raise that middle finger, I just smile big and wave broadly as if I were sitting in the back of a convertible during a parade.  Either that or I just completely ignore them.  Believe me, that's tough to do, but I want to live for another bike ride.

2009-06-18 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2225009

Champion
SRQ, FL
Beil - 2009-06-17 4:02 PM to those who are considering getting a CCW and carrying a handgun, it's very imporant to be careful with how and when you decide to carry and draw on someone: you are taught in the CCW classes that a gun is a LAST option, and it is only to be used if you or someone in your group is in fear of their life.
Therefore, there is no protection for the CCW holder if they shoot at a car AFTER the car tries to run them off the road. once the car drives away, it is technically no longer a threat, just like you can't shoot someone in the back as they are running away after taking your wallet. it's a crappy law, and i don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the law.

but to those situations where the individual in a car gets out with a tire iron or other weapon, drawing/flashing your piece could be a good way to shut them up and stop a possible ugly and violent situation from escalating.

Good points but I would hope any who has a CCW would know this already.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers? Rss Feed  

of 3