General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gel/Goo to do or not to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-24 10:27 PM

Subject: Gel/Goo to do or not to do?
Two questions for you guys from a newbie....

Training for a few Sprint Tris with no prior experience. Haven't been using any of the gels/goo endurance type stuff and was wondering if you guys/gals think it is a beneift for a) training and b) the races. I am sure it is very beneficial for longer type tris but I am wondering for me/newbie with Sprint tris.

Also, yesterday at St. Anthony's Expo my friend and me tried a bunch of samples then felt very jittery, etc. Must be loaded with caffeine?

Thanks so much for your input.

Karen

2005-04-24 10:42 PM
in reply to: #147454

Regular
Subject: RE: Gel/Goo to do or not to do?
Karen

For a sprint, a gel at the start line washed down with water is good insurance and later near the end of the bike leg it isn't a bad idea either.

I would avoid caffiene loaded gels and those loaded with simple sugars....the LAVA brand is pretty goos as is hammer gel

Kevin
2005-04-24 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Karen,

Sprint tris are short so, I only use a sports drink (Cytomax) on the bike.  No gels or anything else.  Just a good breakfast and sports drink on the bike.

During long training runs or rides, I take a Gu every 45 minutes.  I also try to drink one bottle of Cytomax every hour. 

Post workout recovery is important also.  I down a glass of Endurox after a long (> 1 hour) workout or after an intense workout i.e. interval training, hill repeats.  I find this works better than anything else for recovery. 

TJ

2005-04-25 7:24 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
"a bunch of goos" is basically a few hundred calories of sugar, and would probably make you just as wired as eating a donut unless you're in the middle or post workout. The one's with caffiene are labled as such. I usually use one or two on my bike rides, especially getting up to 90-120 minutes long.
2005-04-25 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

My approach is to take one GU 15 minutes prior to the race, then space them at 45 minute intervals.  I only use water with the GU (chocolate-with caffeine or vanilla-decaf).  Upon completion of race I drink Endurox.

Evelyn

2005-04-25 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
I just ran the Kinetic Sprint (750m swim, 18miles bike, 5 k run) and had 1 Power Gel about 5 minutes into the bike along with water. Watch out for the amount of caffine in the gels, the tangerine from Pwer Gel has a double shot of caffine!!!

jim

2005-04-25 11:10 AM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Hey there,
Gu is GREAT! I tell you what use it during training and racing...it makes a difference...especially when your body starts to lose it's stored fuel...

During training (especially my long runs) I use a package about 20 mins before starting and then every 5 miles after that...I am still working out the bike routine...

I suggest that you try different kinds/flavors...some of them have different textures and can be hard to choke down or once you try them you realize some flavors are right out (like I know I can't handle any citrus flavors in gels/GU). I tried a variety last fall during an EcoChallenge and kinda got a bit of a handle on what I liked best and it really has helped...

Good luck.
2005-04-25 12:30 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
definitely use them in your training if you want to use them in the race, as different gels (becuase of the different ingredients) might affect you in different ways.  Your best bet isn't to try a bunch of them all at once, unless of course you liked that jittery feeling.
2005-04-25 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
i second what everyone else said about trying various flavors and brands during your trainings to see what works best for you. i had one give me terrible stomach cramps and i really like the sweet ones as pre-race/pre-training but there is no way i can get them down when i am really hot.

this weekend i saw the positive effect of the gel first hand. i was participating in a two hour spin class and i geled before (carb boom strawberry kiwi) and felt great. my plan was to gel about 45-50 minutes into the class but i got sucked into waiting till a recovery break at 1 hr in. i geled them (accel gel also strawberry kiwi). at about 1 hr 25 min in to the class i felt real worn down. then 5 minutes later, i was back strong. i think i just needed a bit more time for my second gel to kick in (they say it takes about 30 minutes or so). now i know that i really need to stick to the 45 minutes timing with my gels!!

deanna
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gel/Goo to do or not to do? Rss Feed