Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 21m 31s
Overall Rank = 1104/1487
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 114/141
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Lawrence on Friday. Got the camper all set up and situated. Picked my packet up Friday afternoon. Jeff and I went for a short ride to check the bikes over late Friday. Saw Andy, him and his family were down to camp also.
On Saturday, went to the expo with the family. Got my bike checked in. Went for a late swim on Saturday, just to stay loose. Headed back to camp, got cleaned up, and went to bed early.
Race morning. Got up at 04:45 got all my bottles, gels, endurolytes, and my wetsuit all ready to go. Walked with Jeff and Clayton to set up T2. Walked down to the swim start and T1. Got my bike all ready to roll. Bottles on, tires pumped up, and helmet ready. Walked over the porta-crapper and did my morning business. Left the transition area and got my body glide on and wetsuit on. Kissed Kim and Karley for good luck and headed to the starting chute.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up to much. Stretched a little but did not get in the water at all.
Swim
  • 45m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was actually really fun, never thought I would say that. My wave was all the men 20-24 and 25-29. Stood near the start and watched all the other waves 'calmly' start their swim. Once we were down in the water it was a blast. While we waited for the gun to go off, we were all singing along to the music that was blasting. Guys were high-fiving, shaking hands, and body-checking each other in the water, one guy even yelled, "Everybody in this wave is getting laid tonight!"
Once we finally were off it took me a while to get into my grove. I put myself in the back third of the pack to start, I didn't want to get dunked by all the super swimmers, and didn't want to get caught up with slower swimmers. After about the first 200 yards the pack thinned a little bit, and I was able to catch my groove. I told myself, just take it one buoy at a time and don't over do it. I was comfortable in the water, the only problem I had was I kept drifting away from the buoys. With the overcast, and my dark goggles I had a little trouble spotting all the buoys. I made it to the first turn and still felt really strong. The few hundred yards to the next turn was uneventful.
I made the turn for the shore and couldn't believe how good I was still feeling. By now some strong swimmers from other waves were catching me and I got bumped and kicked a few times but nothing major. The trip into shore was good, the only problem I had was with about 150 yards left, somebody swim over me and thier hand caught on the zipper of my wetsuit and it came unzipped about 6-8 inches. I started getting a bunch of water in the suit, not enought to make it hard to swim, but enough to notice. I hit the swim exit and was pumped that my first 1/2Ironman swim went as well as it did. I didn't feel tired or anything! Took off at a run for T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot. I probably could have pushed the pace a little harder overall, but I was just glad to knock out my first 1/2 Iron swim. Not having another athlete un-zip my suit for me would have been nice too, although I know it wasn't on purpose.
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

T1 went pretty good. I ran most of the way to my bike until the parking lot started to hurt my feet. I got my wetsuit off without much difficulty. Socks, shoes, sunglasses and helmet on. Un-racked my bike and took off at a run to get out of T1. I was ready to hit the road.

Not much, although I should practice my transitions more to get the time down. It was a big transition area from the swim exit to the bike start so that was some of the problem.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on my bike, got clipped in and took off. Coming out of the park I felt good. When I got to the dam, I think I was going 21-22mph. and held that the entire way across the dam. Climbing the hill and the end of the dam went well. Got my bike up to 41mph coming down the back side, that was fun and a little scary all at the same time. I kept it in an a gear that allowed me to maintain my pace but not kill my legs for most of the ride. The hills didn't seem to bother me much. I'm glad I rode the course x2 before the race. When I got to the first aid station I grabbed a bottle of water and drank about half of it then ditched it. I also took a gel. Kept going, still feeling good, legs felt strong, I was pushing but not over doing it. Made the first turn around and head back. Got to the second aid station, took another bottle of water like the time before.
The rest of the bike was pretty uneventful. I drank from the 2 bottles of sports drink I had, and kept taking in gels. Some of the hills on the last third of the course were a little tough, but I got through them. When it came time to climb the backside of the dam, the toughest hill on the entire course, I was in a big group of people. Everybody was really cool, helping each other out and shouting encouragement to everybody else. Got to the top of the hill and coasted down the back side. Crossed the dam, got back into the campground and hit T2 feeling good.

My pace was good for me. I would have taken in more fluids and a few more gels, you will understand why later. Other than that not really anything.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I ran well with the bike into T2. Got to the rack and the guys on either side of me had pretty much taken over my spot. I slid their bikes out of the way as best I could, got my bike racked by one of the brake handles. Got my shoes changed. Put my gel flask in my back pocket, or so I thought. Took off for the run course. I saw Kim and Dad just as I was leaving T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 25m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started out great. I was running low 9-minute miles to start. I was running between aid stations and then slowing to a jog or very brisk walk to get in full cups of gatorade and water. I took a couple endurolytes on the run also. I ran all the way up the big hill on the first loop. The spectators in the campground were great. I made to our campsites, which looked like the Wizard of Oz, yellow brick road and everything. Saw Kim, Karley, Dad, and the rest of the gang. Made the turnaround and was still feeling good. Got about 5 miles in and thought it was time for one of my gels, reached into my jersey pocket and WTF! no gels! I know i put them in, where did they go? Must have fallen out some where. I thought about taking some of the gels they had on the course, but I hadn't trained with them and thought I would be ok. Finished my first loop in just over an hour.
The second loop started out ok. I made it to the first aid station, walked it for a full cup of gatorade and water. Headed back towards the lake. I could tell I was starting to get a little tired, but told myself to just keep pushing. Made it down the big hill then all of a sudden...uh-oh. I just felt freakin wierd, felt worse than I ever have during an event. My hands and arms were numb and tingley, my head felt fuzzy, I looked down and my hands were pasty white colored. I remember thinking, oh-sh!t, I need to get to the aid station. I don't know if my glucose got low or my electrolytes were off or what, but something was wrong. I walked and walked and walked for what felt like forever until the aid station. When I got to it, I must have looked like crap, a volunteer asked me, "Dude, are you ok? you don't look so good." But he go me 2 full cups of gatorade, got me a powerbar and some water, helped me get my endurolytes out, and walked the aid station with me. I didn't get his name but he was awesome. I told him I was fine and kept going. About a 5 minutes after the aid station I felt good again, head didn't feel fuzzy, arms weren't numb or tingley, felt pretty ok. Started my cycle of running then walking the aid stations. I took the gels they had on the course after that. I ended up having to walk some between the aid stations. I made the loop through the campground, turned around and headed for the finish. Went past our campsite for the last time. Got a high five from Karley(my 21 month old daughter) and just kept pushing it. The last 1.5 miles I didn't walk at all, I just wanted to get to the line. Going through the last couple of aid stations I didn't take a whole lot to eat or drink, I just thanked the volunteers for being out. Made it to the finishers shoot and got really pumped-up to finish. Coming down toward the line I saw my family, cheering their hearts out. Heard my name come over the loud speaker, crossed the line, and was glad to be done. Got my medal, a bottle of water, and my finsher's glass.

NOT DROP MY GELS. I think that was my biggest problem. I think I just Biffed it on my nutrition this race. More run training in general probably wouldn't have hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and gatorade. Found my family, gave my wife a big, sweaty, hug, which she almost killed me for. Saw Shawn and Andy. And oh yeah, I got meet Chissie Wellington too. She was hanging out, giving medals out, signing autographs, and taking pictures. I got my picture taken with her and she signed a poster for me.

I got some post race food and waited for Jeff to finish up. Went and gave Jeff a high five when he got done. Hung out and cheered in the other finishers.

Went to get my bike, and guess what I found laying on the ground about 10 feet from my bike...my freakin gel flask and extra gels!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did pretty well until late in the run. My nurtition was just poor. When I got my bike I noticed I still had at least half of one of my bottles of sports drink left as well as some in the other. I think that when I was feeling so crappy I was just plain out of fuel, because shortly after getting something back in me I was good to go again. It sucks that it happened but it I guess it is a lesson worth learning.

Event comments:

Great race, I had a blast. Great weekend with my family and friends, knocked out my first half Ironman. I have no complaints.

Last updated: 2009-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:02 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/141
Overall: 1113/1487
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Full Suit
Course: Counter Clockwise loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:09 | 56 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Overall: 0/1487
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 56 miles on paved roads, some good hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 0/1487
Performance: Below average
Course: 2-loop course around the park and campground.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-18 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2009-06-18 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2227431

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
Good job man.  It was great watching.  You looked strong when I saw you.
2009-06-20 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2227431

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
Wow - glad to see you came out of that "funk" pretty quickly and are in good health! I thought the story was going to take a turn for the worse with a half hour in the med tent or something. Great job, those were some awesome times for you! Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can show you how to get your T2 time down

Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed