Racine Family YMCA
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 37
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5:30 and had a banana and some coffee. got my stuff together and headed out the door by 6.
Event warmup:

We were in line for the portapotties when they called the 10 milers to the line. Less than 1 min to start and well over 30 peeps in front of me! Sooooo ran into the middle of the pack to start the race without the bathroom stop...this is not going good already! Told Jessica that there is no way I am making 10 miles like this!
Run
  • 1h 41m
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my longest distance and started out with a friend and we agreed to start at 10 min miles... first mile was at 9:30. I started having GI issues from the start. (remember no potty before the start!) So about mile 2.5 or so I NEED to go bad and asked some people who were out cheering us on if I could please use there bathroom! They were very kind and said yes. Told Jess I would find her...3 min later I get outside and back to the race! Feel so much better! Start picking up my pace to find Jess...there she is so try to push a little more to catch up to her only to realize not her! Used a bit too much to try to get to her so I backed off a little. hit mile 4 at 41:10 ugh I am already more then a min. off, remember technically I have a 3 min swing time so still feeling ok about my time, run with a guy who has never run more then a 5k! We hit mile 5 and I encourage him to keep going.We have already made it half way! See another pink shirt and try to catch up to her...not Jess. Used too much to get to her and started walking the water stations. Stomach is feeling a bit upset so just take in the water at the stations. As I was around mile 7 peeps at the top of a hill were cheering and I said thanks, this guy said it was better from where he was and I informed him this was more rewarding! The guy next to me said thanks I was just going to start walking! Hit me just what I was doing and "released my stride" as coach davey says felt really good and picked up the pace more. Hit mile 8 and a lady was walking and someone was taking her pic and she asked him not to and that she was done and couldn't do this anymore. I told her she was doing it and there was only 2 miles left! She thanked me for the encouragement and said she has been battling injuries for 2 yrs now and I gave her the push to keep going. Feeling really good now I pushed some more...too much! I wasn't prepared for the last 2 hills and they almost did me in...but with the saying Hale(Yuck) will not be passed on a hill I pushed with all I had left.
What would you do differently?:

ummmm train! I was asked on Tuesday by a co worker to do the run with her. My mojo has been missing and I have not done a whole lot since Rockman.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a banana and an orange and headed to the beer tent. Talked to a few people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just lack of training, I have never run this distance and I'm feeling it!

Event comments:

Overall I am pleased with my performance. Will be back with some training and see what I can do next year!

Last updated: 2009-06-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:00 | 10 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Subject: Lighthouse Run

2009-06-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2231626

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Subject: RE: Lighthouse Run

Well done!  Congratulations on finishing the race.

2009-06-21 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Remember kids, Hale will not be passed on a hill!

Nice job lady!  Way to just keep pushing through and 'release your stride' - Davey will be so proud
2009-06-21 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Nice race Kim! Great job with your longest distance!
2009-06-23 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

Congrats on your longest run every... and it wasn't with me Way to battle thru the troubles. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lighthouse Run Rss Feed