General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers Event Mgmt
80'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Alarm fell off the nightstand during the night, and some how UNSET the alarm. Woke up with a start, thinking "its really light in here...oh crap, its 6:05". We were supposed to be out the door at 6am. Hustled it up, and out the door by 6:20. (easy for me, miraculous for Steve!) Quick stop at McDonalds for bacon/egg/cheese McGriddle. Usual Diet Pepsi to wash it down. Was set up in transition by 7am, with race talk @7:30. Race delay for 10 min. due to 8ft branch in the road that they were cutting up. Cloudy on the way to the site, cleared to blue skies...during the race talk it clouded up and got really windy. I had deja vu...except for the difference in temperature! (80's and humid) Windy, rain...uggh!

Event warmup:

Quick 5 minute 'ish run with Allie.
Swim
  • 12m 32s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

time trial start, 1 every 1-2 seconds. Not ready at start..Steve had to zip me up, and his manual dexterity isn't the best since the stroke, and my suit is tough to zip. Ran over and jumped in line, knowing I was late. (I went with the 600's instead of the 500's...it was ok to do this though)
After I crossed the mat, I went to start my watch, realized I hadn't cleared it. So, took the several sec. to get it cleard and started.
Ok, swim number 2 since Jan, and #1 was at Lake Mills. Pretty crowded even with the time trail start, kept having to stop and go around several people till the first turn. Then, got on someones heels, briefly...she was too fast! Got out of the water, saying "I know I suck swimming but not THAT bad" cause I looked at my watch as I got out and it was 11:23...(I thought it was a 400yd swim, but is was 500meters...546 yrds.)
What would you do differently?:

swim train? not procrastinate getting my wet suit on, have watch cleared and ready. (the panic start to the day set off my whole routine!)
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

T2 was ok, not stellar though!
Bike
  • 29m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

rode hard, cautious in the turns due to debris on the road and some wet roads, big puddles etc. But, it DID NOT rain!!! Passed a ton of people, passed by 2 guys. (with my start near the end, there were alot on the course, and only 10 miles, never really spread out at all. Wind was a sl issue, debris significant...I so do NOT want to crash!

not slow quite as much in corners.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

had to run along way with my bike, around all of the racks and back to mine right near bike out and run out. Other than the long run to the rack,good T2. Hat and race belt on while running out.

nothing
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

run out headed to an uphilll with in a minute or two. Ran up hill for about .3 ish (pure guess) then some other hills in the first mile. Felt I was running pretty solid. Second 2 miles were more flat with the .3 ish now being downhill to the finish line! Gotta love that!! Passed alot on the run, not passed by anyone.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

down to the lake to rinse off and chat with a couple of guys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cautious due to road debris/ crowded bike course with some blocking going on, and people who thought on your left means merge left into the path of the on your lefter.ugghhh....

Event comments:

fun race, never have done one this short! Raced this race a few years ago when the bike was longer. Nice course, the run was through the park and the bike was probably a third in the park.

Last updated: 2009-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:32 | 547 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course: rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:47 | 10 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: rolling hills through the park then out into the surrounding area.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:21 | 03 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Good
1/8:10 (Im guessing the mile marker was late) 2+3/14:09 I don't run that fast, or that slow (the first))
Course: rolling hills, some flats...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

2009-06-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2232425

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

Most excellent results as usual.  Way to go.

2009-06-23 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

stellar as usual. i think you have become my new hero!

great job sweetie!!!

2009-06-23 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Damnnnnn!! Nice job PJ!!! You will always be my hero!

2010-06-16 6:58 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the turn-by-turn analysis.  Laughing  I'm doing this race as a kick-off to my triathlon career.  Hopefully I'm not forced to retire after one race. 

But seriously, your post helped me understand a little more of what to expect and how things would flow.  I'm very excited, but have never even attended a tri event.  I'll be the guy asking for directions on the bike route  Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed