General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 25/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Pooped. Eat a bagel with peanut butter then drove to race. Setup transition area. Club Photo.
Event warmup:

200 yard swimming.
Swim
  • 37m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I loved this swim. I had such a blast. Once again, the worse the conditions, the better I do on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I didn't rush. A minute here wasn't going to kill my race.
Bike
  • 3h 31m 49s
  • 55 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the new bike http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

And I don't think it was a mistake. I was as comfortable on the bull horns as I am on my cross bike. I spent more time on the bull horns then I would have liked, but that would have been the case if I put aero bars on my other bike and rode that. The bike was fairly uneventful. My biggest mistake was deviating from my nutrition plan. My plan for liquids was to have a really thick mix of perpetuem, water and endurolytes for electrolyte replenishment. While I like Gatorade, it doesn't agree with my stomach during hard exertions. I carried three bottles. The perpetuem on the bottle cage on the seat tube (the only mount on the frame) and two bottles of water in a profile carrier behind the seat. I went through the first aide stop and grabbed a bottle of water to top of mine. But the Gatorade looked really good. My plan was to have finished one and half bottles of water by the second aide, and I did that. Because of topping off at the first aide station, I had one full bottle of water and one empty by the second aide station. So I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade at the second aide station. Not a big deal, I just wanted a couple sips. But a few minutes later when I went to grab my full bottle of water, I found that it was gone. I should have turned around and gotten water from aide 2. It was hot, in the 80s by the end of the bike. But I kept going and just sipped the Gatorade and perpetuem until aide 3, but it wasn't enough water. The last 12 miles or so were into the wind and that wasn't fun.

I don't think I've done a single run or ride this year in temperatures above 70 degrees and the heat on race day really played a roll in my performance. I finished the bike in 3:30 which was right where I planned to be if I was to meet my 7 hour goal.

Not take the gatorade. Make sure not to lose a bottle. Train more.
Transition 2
  • 06m 22s
Comments:

I took my time again. I was already thinking I wasn't going to be able to finish the run. I got about 10 feet from my bike and a clubmate was looking for sunscreen so I ran back to my area and got my sunscreen. Also got the clubmate to put some on my shoulders where I couldn't reach. It didn't help. Got an a$$ slap from Alan on the way out.

nothing
Run
  • 3h 36m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I had done the full run course 2 weeks before the race and had a really great run. As soon as you get off the bike you face a 200 foot climb, which doesn't seem much, but it is by far the biggest natural feature within 45 minutes drive of my house. The course is the climb, then 2 laps on trails then back down the hill to the finish. I ended up walking the climb. I even ended up walking the first four and a half miles. I got caught by one of my tri club buddies at the top of the hill and he was suffering as well. We ended up doing the whole run together. I suffered from a side stitch, and battled to keep from puking for the first 4 miles. If the guy from the club wasn't with me, I'm pretty sure I would have quit at about mile 3 when there is bailout to the top of the climb.

I spent most of the run feeling thirsty and tried to drink as much as possible but had to keep it in check so that I didn't get a side stitch again.

At mile 4.5 we started running for a few minutes then walking for a few minutes and kept that going through the rest of the run. Mile 4.5 to mile 11.5 actually felt pretty good. On our second loop, the aide stations were abandoned and the pickings were slim. There was one station that had no water. Luckily we were both carrying bottles and made it to the next station before we ran out. Miles 11.5 to the finish hurt. We had to run down the hill, I picked up my daughter Izzy about 20 feet before the finish line and she ran with me and my tri club buddy over the finish line.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Heat

Event comments:

Drinking stations on run were mostly abandoned on the second half of my run. Not much going on by the time I finished, but you can't really blame anyone, I took a long time.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport sleeveless
Course: Rectangle. Long side parallel to shore. Short side out against wind and waves. Long side parallel again. Short side into shore with wind and waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:31:49 | 55 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/29
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/HC%20tri%20newest%20bike%20map.pdf
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
03:36:14 | 13.1 miles | 16m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/29
Performance: Bad
Course: Up high cliff, two loops on the trails. Back down the hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2009-06-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2234365

Regular
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
but they still had food at the endYell
2009-06-22 9:08 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Great job Dave! You did it! Yay!

And I nearly spit my cantalope all over the computer screen when I read "I pooped" - don't think I've seen such honesty in a pre-race write up Love it.

2009-06-23 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great job on a tough day! I have to admit that bouncy water was kind of fun. Nice meeting you out there.
2009-06-23 8:00 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I always like those speedy swims.  If only I could. If only. *sigh*

Nice job, Dave!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed