General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = 123/181
Age Group = m 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

spent the night in a hotel room with my wife and another couple. Went out to eat and the meal really wasnt that good. Did not sleep real well and the other couple got up at 5 (race started at 8 and we were 2 min away). Didnt have my regular breakfast. Other than the sleep, the dinner, the company and the breakfast this was my same routine as my other races :)
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 min. hopped on the bike for a quick spin to check gearing and tire pressure. Didnt have time to swim at all.
Swim
  • 24m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Never felt good. The sun was coming up so it was directly to your left or right along the long sides of the rectangle. This restricted my regular breathing because I didnt like being blinded. Down each side I had to breathe all right or left. I think the course was short by looking at everyones times and my results despite how I felt.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get some warmup time in. I have really let swimming fall by the wayside in training. Once a week for 30 min isnt cutting it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Everything was laid out neat when I left to swim. When I got to T1 it seems like a really late competitor had jammed his bike into a space that wasnt there. He also had laid out his gear in front of the bike tire rather that the side. I spent extra time picking up my helmet and double checking that I wasnt missing anything.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Upside- This is a new speed record for me for an olympic distance. Too bad it is still very slow compared to everyone else. I felt good kept the cadence high and stayed aero for the whole ride. The wind kinda sucked but everyone was out on the same course.

I continue to improve slowly. Still need to focus on biking miles. I havent done a ride over 2:15hrs this year outside. I just dont have the cycle legs and endurance yet.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

none captured by the timing company. did a good flying dismount. noticed my friendly neighbor had kindly racked his wetsuit where my bike was supposed to be. I had to rearrange his stuff. I guess if I can get better at biking I can be the a hole.
Run
  • 53m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The first two miles were fine and I was sitting at just over 15 min. I then started to get cold chills. That was odd because it was 80, sunny and humid. I walked through the drink station around 2.5 miles. I walked again when I passed it on the way back. And again at the 4.5 mile mark. And again at the 5 mile mark. I was just feeling sick and I dont know why. i felt great off the bike and for the first part of the race. My nutrition was the same as my other races.

I am glad I finished up but it was really not fun. I normally enjoy the running portion and I can make up for my crappy biking a little bit but not today. Something wasnt right but I cant nail it down. All I know is that cold sweats when it is sunny and 80 is not a good thing.
Post race
Warm down:

try not to throw up

What limited your ability to perform faster:

for this race the lack of focus on swim training and whatever happened on the run

Event comments:

Good flat race- especially if you can kick it on the bike. It is very spectator friendly as you can see the swim, transition and almost all of the run from one spot. Would probably do the race again but will watch what I eat and get better sleeping accomadations next time.

I hit PR on the bike, almost on the swim and very close to an overall PR

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 0/181
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle-man made lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:28 | 24.85 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/19
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: kinda a rectangle along the shore and nearby roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:11 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/19
Performance: Bad
Course: loop around the swim lake and by lake erie and into the woods
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed