Obediah Cole Foundation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 58s
Overall Rank = 287/449
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/30
Pre-race routine:

Dinner night before: Bacon burger with BBQ sauce and cheese, some salad, 1/2 order of jalapeno poppers, 1 beer, lots of water. Had to walk a bunch Saturday night -- our car broke down, so we ended up walking a few miles through the city to get to bus stops so we could go back home.

Woke up @ 5ish AM, ate a bowl of cereal, drank 1 cup of coffee and a bunch of water.
Event warmup:

Walked about 1/2--3/4 mile downhill to Central Northside flats, then jogged about a mile to the event.
Run
  • 57m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

While I didn't do as well as I wanted to, I did about as well as I expected, and probably better than I deserved.
What would you do differently?:

Came out a bit too strong; had massive side-stitch about mile 4.5, and was out of gas by the end. (Having spent a couple hours in a bar the night before probably didn't help, either.)
Post race
Warm down:

Wasn't allowed --- the tech crew responsible for the timing chips stopped me within five yards of the finish line so they could have their $30 chip back.

Event comments:

- Nice course, though the trail used for the return is slightly uneven and not wide enough for the number of people in the race; the path is nowhere near big enough for the number of people in the race plus the people in the 'fun walk' plus the people pushing their kids in strollers back to their cars against the flow of the race....

- These people were *not* coordinated. The race director was still in the middle of his pre-race spiel when the starter's horn went off. There was a balloon arch that was not only 50 yards past the start line, leading everyone to be (even more) bunched up at the beginning when we all had to turn around and go back to find the start, but was also 100 yards *before* the finish line.

- I'm not sure I'd ever want to do a race timed by Runner's High (runhigh.com) again. The instant I crossed the line, someone asked me for my timing chip. I ignored him, but there was another about two feet behind him. I told him I needed to cool off. The fourth guy, about five or eight yards past the line, actually dropped to his knees and took the chip off my shoe himself; it was all I could do to not kick him in his face, so I let him take it. . . .

Last updated: 2009-06-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:58 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/30
Overall: 287/449
Performance: Average
Course: 10k out-and-back, mostly flat, starting at Heinz Field and progressing along Allegheny Riverfront Trail to River Ave. -- left on Warfield Street, right on Progress Street, right on Chesbro St back to River. Left on River Ave. to the 30th Street Bridge. Over the bridge and left on Waterfront Drive, then following Washington's Landing Trail behind the tennis courts, looping back to follow the trail along the island and going over the pedestrian bridge. Follow the Allegheny Riverfront Trail back to Heinz Field.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes