AA Sports, Ltd.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 40m 1s
Overall Rank = 274/433
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/64
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Friday for the Saturday race (stayed locally Thursday Night). Set up T1 on the afternoon before and then hang out at a nice pre-race area. There is a lot going on. Took time to go over the bike several times and installed a new water bottle (profile).

Race day, woke up early 5:15 AM and breakfast (bagel, bannana, little coffee). Out by 6:00 AM to the set up T2. It was really cold so we ended up driving with a friend to start so we could be in a warm vehicle rather than bus.
Swim
  • 47m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in wave 4 and the first 3 waves went too far left. I sighted and kept better on course not that my time reflected it. I felt good on the swim and was pretty close to hats like mine and even passed some from earlier waves (1 ten minute) but I was disappointed with my overall time. I had a cramp in my calf in the last 200 M which I think was due to cold and position because I really wasn't kicking.
What would you do differently?:

Need a swim coach to help me out. I worked hard and my mental state was good but my time was horrible.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I had a long transition due to my leg cramping which made it really painful to put on my socks. Also, we had to bag all our stuff which took some time.

Hopefully come out of the swim without a cramp.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 48s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.59 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a fun bike. It really is a 38 mile bike because that is where the pain is. The final portion is a cruise and cool down.

Changing to a different gearing is really a must for this race. My GPS shows the grade is almost 20% which I'm not sure about but it is really steep. I had it in my lowest gear and plugged away at it but it was slow and my cadence was horrible. I think a compact crank set or triple would be really helpful and would have given me almost 10 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Had a good transition especially since a low bib number gives you better rack position.

I forgot my nutrition which could have been a killer except they had aid at every mile and I knew they had more than I needed.
Run
  • 2h 30m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run for me. I felt great off the bike and ran and easy mile before my legs fell apart. I ended up run waling the entire run. I would run to a point of about a 1/4 to 1/8 mile and then walk 20-40 steps and repeat until I finished. I was alone on the course for much of the time although there are some areas with quite a few people cheering.

There were areas with quite a bit of resort traffic (bike and families) on the trail but it wasn't too much of a problem.

Train harder and run through a bit more pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat strawberries and drink water. They had wet towels at the finish which really helped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't fully complete my training. My swim was shorter and my run fell apart.

Event comments:

The weekend is a lot of fun and they do a great job. The swim would have been on time if not for an accident which delayed a bus.

I would recommend this race because it is so pretty and felt really safe and organized. They sun is relentless and the altitude, especially on the run, is high but what a great experience.

Last updated: 2009-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:18 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 382/433
Performance: Below average
Suit: Farmer John
Course: 3 buoys clockwise. Also, sighting buoys between due to the distance. Start was at a boat ramp right next to the finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:48 | 58 miles | 17.59 mile/hr
Overall: 295/433
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: First 10 or so miles were on rougher rolling road. Then there was a long stretch on nice paved fairly flat. At about 17, the climbs begin and by 38 you are on top after some really painful climbing. One of the prettiest bike routes imaginableness. The view of mountains and the lakes are really amazing. The downhill after 38 really gets the mind going and was fun
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:17 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 312/433
Course: Bike trail that seems to wander into the most lonely areas of the resort. It was very pretty but the toughest miles were really exposed to the sun and very hot. There are aid stations every mile with everything needed including gels, water, electrolytes, and rash aid.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: Pacific Crest Half-Iron Triathlon

2009-06-29 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2250067

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Half-Iron Triathlon

alright, another PCT-er!

congrats on the race, i liked your description of the run, the path did take us into some lonely/shadeless areas

btw, good 1st post

2009-06-29 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2250067

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Half-Iron Triathlon
WOO HOO!!!! Great job - it was a tough day out there for sure. I'm working on my RR and man what a beautiful, chilly, hot, fun race it was for us

Congrats!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed