General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ingonish, Nova Scotia
Canada
17C / 63F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 44s
Overall Rank = 15/58
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up shortly after 5am by my blackberry alarm because the power had gone out overnight so the first alarm didn't go off! Ate my usual breakfast, a bowl of oatmeal, and had a coffee. Had a shower and got things ready to go - it was about a 20-25 minute drive to the race site. Got there shortly after 7am.
Event warmup:

Not too much, got in the water for about a minute to make sure the goggles were ok with the swim cap on.
Swim
  • 11m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is supposed to be my strong sport and while I can't complain about being out of the water in 6th place, I didn't feel good in the water at all. I couldn't see the buoys at all until close to them so I had to assume the group in front of me knew where they were going - fortunately they did. My intention for the swim was to go comfortably hard and I just never really got into that groove. I think I just need to swim in the wetsuit in open water more often.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to get on the feet of the faster group in front of me early on and draft, might have saved me a little time and effort.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time is included with the bike time and there was also about a 400m run from the water to the transition zone. I had my birkenstocks at the water exit to run with to T1 and that was a big mistake. I couldn't really run in them and it cost me a lot of time - 3 people passed me during that short run. I was also a little slow and deliberate once I got to the bike. I didn't want to make a stupid mistake.

- Have better shoes at the water exit to run with.
- Practice transitions more
Bike
  • 49m 12s
  • 23 kms
  • 28.05 km/hr
Comments:

The time includes the run from the water and T1. Pace from my computer said 31.4 km/hr. I was a little worried about what the hills would be like but after driving the course the afternoon before, I wasn't nearly as worried. Only one bad hill right after the turnaround. I felt really good during the entire ride. I pushed pretty hard and only struggled on the one hill but everyone I saw on it was going slow - except one guy that passed me at the bottom of it and he stood up the whole climb and put quite a bit of distance from me.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time is included in the run. Again, I was pretty deliberate so as not to do anything stupid.

Practice? Learning to run without socks and getting laces I don't need to tie would help too.
Run
  • 26m 49s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Time includes T2 - was probably just over 25 mins actual run time.

Man, I suck at running. The course was very hilly - first km was uphill just about the whole way and I had a hard time getting into a groove. Had to stop once to re-tie my shoelace. One guy passed me right at the start and that was it until about 200m from the finish I could hear someone flying up behind me and I knew based on what I was hearing that there was no way I was going to hold him off so I just let him go.

I don't think there was anything I could do differently at the time, I just need to run more to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much, packed up my gear and headed back to the cottage to have a shower before the BBQ

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the two and a half weeks in France hurt me. I was under-prepared for the swim as I had barely been in the water for the month before the race. My sucky run held me back too but I am constantly improving there so I will just have to be patient and it will come.

Event comments:

Things started a little bit late but I think it was because they had quite a few more participants than they usually get. Other than that, things seemed to go really well and I would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2009-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:45 | 750 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 6/58
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Pro X2
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle in a lake
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:12 | 23 kms | 28.05 km/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 19/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on an open road. Some pavement was smooth but there were quite a few potholes/broken pavement.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:49 | 05 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 32/58
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly combination out and back / loop. First half of the course was up hill and then back down on the way back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 7:35 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-06-29 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2251769

Veteran
Cornwall, PEI
Subject: RE: Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance
nice work! not bad for your first triathlon, especially being an old fool  Cool
2009-06-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2251769

Subject: RE: Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Hey fella, nice work. I'd invest in some easy laces for the T2.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Highlands Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed