I Run For The Party
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45 - 49 Female
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 to get a little coffee. Had a bagel for breakfast. Picked up Devon and headed to downtown Nashville.
Event warmup:

Parking was a little away from race check-in. We walked there, got our race number and chip and walked back to the car to put everything on. Found the porta-potties and stood in line for about 15 minutes. Finished just in time to be in line for the 8:00 announcements. Stretched a little.
Run
  • 1h 06m 10s
  • 6.09 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to concentrate on positive thoughts with this run. I have found myself becoming very negative, letting my thoughts drown out the music, when I run. This hill is hard, it's so hot, when is this going to be done. I want to enjoy this or why do it. I think I did well with this. I really tried to think about the music, letting it help my pace, and enjoying the great scenery of the town.

There were three decent hills on each loop, two crossing the river and one in the middle of town. I really worked on thinking that each hill was really not that hard and I only had a short distance to complete and there was the end. Made me feel so much better. I just hope I can continue with this new though process on future runs. I ran with my friend Devon. I think we run well together. We kind of push each other. When I feel that I want to slow down, I see her pulling ahead and I pick it up. She says the same about me.

My pace stayed pretty consistant for each loop. The second loop was only 44 seconds slower than the first.
What would you do differently?:

Everything was really pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Devon somehow lost her chip during the run. We walked around a bit to see what she could do about that. No one could help her. I guess that's going to be an expensive race for her.

Event comments:

The only bad thing about this race was that the aid stations were running out of supplies on the second loop. One station and small condiment cups with water, another had no cups at all and could only offer to pour water in your hands.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:10 | 06.09 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Two lap 5k course around beautiful downtown Nashville.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-04 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: Fourth of July Music City 10K

2009-07-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2261879

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Fourth of July Music City 10K
Great job today!!  Keeping consistent with the pace through multiple laps can be hard!!  And great job at trying to get rid of the mental blocks. 
2009-07-04 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job on your race.
2009-07-05 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Congratulations on a GREAT race. So, did you enjoy yourself? I love the positive thoughts and telling yourself that the hills were not much...you will be a stronger runner (and person) as a result. Keep up the good work and be proud of yourself!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fourth of July Music City 10K Rss Feed