General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
Downtown Bicycles
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 38s
Overall Rank = 70/378
Age Group = Clydes 185 0-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Fortunately I slept well Thursday night because Friday night was aweful. Worked late and then by the time I got bike ready and gear packed it was 12:30am. Tossed and turned and maybe slept 2 hours before getting up @ 4:30am. Ate banana and Clif bar and sipped on gatorade heading out the door.
Event warmup:

Got there with enough time to warm up, but after setting up area and waiting in long line for bathroom, they were closing transition. Took a gel right before exiting. I walked to the swim start and ran a few hundred yards while waiting. Then got in the water to warm up (about 200-300 yards easy swim).
Swim
  • 07m 36s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had good position in my wave and never had issue with traffic. Started strong after a lot of practice increaseing my stroke cadence. Started to feel results of fast start about 3/4 way through, but wanted to improve my time from a few weeks ago and kept it going. Yes the weeds on the surface of the lake were annoying and even though I was sighting pretty well, thought at one point I was near the bank west of the course due to weeds everywhere. Improved time by 20 seconds from last race and would like to do the same next time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. With 2 really good weeks of training between races, this is about how I thought I would improve. Problem with last wave is the glaring sun in your face for right side breathers. I saw sun spots for a good part of the swim! Not much I can do but the obvious and learn to breath on left side better.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Had good pace out of water and pretty easy transition overall. The bike mount line was a bit further out this time and there were people blocking the exit. I just went to the far left side and did leap of faith onto the bike and peddled on top of shoes until away from crowds then got feet strapped in.

Not much here. About 3 seconds slower than last time, but not bad.
Bike
  • 28m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to knock off about a minute from last race. I had not trained much prior on bike and worked hard on it last few weeks. That said, too soon to expect big changes. I felt pretty good whole way and was able to keep 23-24 mph through the straights. Stilll having problems keeping speen in turns which cost me. Much less lap traffic than last race on course. Only 9 seconds faster this race, need to work on this consistently. One gel about 10 minutes before transition.

Get at least 3 days a week in on the bike and practice going hard in big ring. I have the endurance, but need the strength to hold higher mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

This was 17 seconds slower than last race and did not notice that much difference? Not like me to have this slow a time. I was not rushed, but didn't feel I took my time. Oh well.

Need to think about areas to save time. Although really thought I did ok.
Run
  • 18m 55s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I started faster than last race and tried to keep it going. Had doubts I could hold pace, but decided for no regrets. Saw Todd who beat me last race ahead of me out of transition and then after first turn. Knew he would catch up so that was good motivation. At the 2 mile point felt had good legs to sprint in and did. Beat last race time by 18 seconds and it felt much hotter out this time around.

Work on speed. Capable of doing at least 7:15 pace.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down, grabbed water and headed to see a friend who was volunteering. Brought bike and gear to car and back to look at results, grab bite to eat and say hello to Boca Triathlete tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, better sleep may have helped. All I was looking for was faster time than last race and did that (although by 28 seconds overall:)

Event comments:

Good race. Happy with 1st in Division (came in 3rd last time), but thinking of doing AG next time for earlier wave start. That might help with the heat on the run and bike motivation to go faster...

Last updated: 2009-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:36 | 400 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 92/378
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Simple straight course running South to North.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:28:17 | 10 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 89/378
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Same double course with lots of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:55 | 02.5 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 90/378
Course: 1 loop course on sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon

2009-07-06 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2265737

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon
Suoer fast race Joe!  And Nice podium finish ..congrats....Hoe to see you out at some other races...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Rss Feed