Trisport Canada
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 32s
Overall Rank = 19/37
Age Group = Women 40 - 49
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45, showered, had breakfast (whole grain cereal breakfast pita, natural PB, blueberries, vanilla yogurt, tea), finished packing my bag and I was out the door at 4:55 for a 1.5 hour drive to Peterborough. I had lots of good music to keep me company but had I known that Laura G lives close by, I would have offered her a ride.
Event warmup:

Chatted with some of my fellow tri club members and fellow BT'er latestarter and her husband, had a 5 minute swim warm-up along with stretches.
Swim
  • 37m 3s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

I totally rocked the swim! I usually start at the back of the pack whenever there's a mass start involved but I chose to put myself in the middle where I could eventually draft off some people's feet. I decided to start the swim further right but that was a bad idea, there were little rocks all over the place. Once passed the rocky start (litteraly), the weed came into play but that didn't bother me too much even though my hands were catching quite a lot of it.

I altered my breathing and sighting patterns, breathing on one side for a six stroke count, sight while switching to the other side, and breath on the other side for another six stroke count. That worked very well and I will keep these patterns going on my next races.

As for the buoys, there was a lot of congestion on both turns. I got stuck in one on the first loop and lost quite a few seconds trying to get out of there but that did not happen on the second one as I rounded them further away.

I was aiming for a 40 minute swim excluding the run to T1 but was pleasantly surprised when I saw 37 once I crossed the T1 mat.

If I compare the swim time with the other ladies in my age group who participated in the half-ironman and half swim-cycle combined, I would have been 11th out of 53.

What would you do differently?:

Start at the left and avoid rounding the buoys too closely.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I got out of the water, unzipped the wetsuit, removed the cap, earplugs and goggles during the run to T1. I chose deliberately to struggle with the damn wetsuit once at my transition space in order to avoid losing time during the run to T1. Once there, I got into a fierce battle with my second skin... The thing just wouldn't let go and kept holding on to my upper arms! Once the battle was over, I quickly put my glasses and helmet on, slipped into my bike shoes and off I went!

Not much more I can do about that second skin of mine. I keep putting more and more Body Glide on the troublesome areas but this thing just loves me too much!
Bike
  • 3h 01m 56s
  • 85 kms
  • 28.03 km/hr
Comments:

I lost about half of my liquid nutrition from the aero bottle on the first 5 km because of the bumps and lost the yellow mesh thing as well. Good thing I had some left and carried a bottle of water in my frame. The GU Chomps did the work all right and I had my timer set to fuel at every 15 minutes intervals. I did not fuel on the last two intervals and that was a poor decision because I got worried about bonking on the last 10 km, thus causing me to slow down. I should have had that gel on at least one of those intervals.

The cross-winds didn't help on the course and we didn't have much of a tailwind to assist. The climb between Millbrook and Pontypool didn't go as well as I had planned: it was a long one and I kept losing momentum when attempting to climb off the saddle. As for the rest of the course, I was playing upbeat songs in my head to keep me going.

Once again, if I compare the bike time with the other ladies in my age group who participated in the half-ironman and half swim-cycle combined, I would have been 31st out of 53.

Not skip fuelling when scheduled and climb more.
Post race
Warm down:

I hung out with Laura, Kirsten and Andrew after the race and waited for Kelly to complete her swim-bike. I finished my .5 liter of chocolate milk and we all went for a dip in the lake after. We had post-race food and then went to check on a few other fellow tri club members who were doing the half-ironman. I also chatted with latestarter and her husband about their race. Since Laura and I both had top 3 finishes in our respective age groups, we waited around for the awards only to find out that swim-cycle participants were not eligible for one. We parted ways afterwards. The drive home was very long, took me more than two hours to get back home due to traffic on the 401 from HWY 115 all the way to Ajax. I treated myself to a Swiss Chalet chicken wrap, poutine (yiiikes!) and a Coronita for dinner after I got home.

I spent a total of 3277 calories on that race and took in roughly 700 from 15 minutes before the race to the end of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting into the water on a bed of little rocks, congestion at the buoys, skipping the last two fuel intervals and not enough climbs.

Event comments:

I have to rate this race as average because of the way it ended. Our finish line was the T2 mat. That was it. Kind of a downer and anticlimatic if you ask me... Furthermore, no hardware, awards or finish pictures for the swim-bike competitors... Another downer. The Somersault Series swim-bike events end at the finish chute and the organization acknowledges the effort of the swim-bike participants the same way as the tri or du athletes by handing hardware. Like fellow BT'er latestarter, I plan on writing Trisport about this. We paid a significant amount of money for this race and I feel we got robbed a little.

Last updated: 2009-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:03 | 2000 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 11/37
Performance: Good
Average HR: 152
Suit: Blue Seventy Sprint
Course: 2 triangular loops with short run on the beach. Rocky to the right, very weedy thereafter. For a while, I thought I was going to look like the Swamp Thing coming out of the water. The water temperature was not too cool.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:01:56 | 85 kms | 28.03 km/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 20/37
Performance: Good
I was instructed by my coach to keep my HR somewhere between low and mid Z3. I went beyond that (mid Z4) because of the climbs and ended up with an average HR of 155 for the duration of the bike.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back from Beavermeade Lake to Pontypool, with a long, "nice" 6 km climb from Millbrook to just before Hwy 115 on RR 21. That climb had a total elevation of 354 feet with a 4% grade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: Peterborough Half Swim/Bike

2009-07-08 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2265813

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Peterborough Half Swim/Bike
if you did the run you could have picked up several of those yellow things. lol I saw alot of them out there, and alot of lost water bottles. glad you had a good race.
2009-07-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2265813

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Subject: RE: Peterborough Half Swim/Bike
félicitations pour ta troisième place. C'est assez poche merci qu'ils ne donnent pas de médaille, kalik t'as travaillé assez fort pour ça!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peterborough Half Swim/Bike Rss Feed