General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlton, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 10s
Overall Rank = 52/120
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ended up stopping at my parents straight from work to drop off a fundraising packet for Ryan's Quest for NJ State Tri. Grabbed a bottle of water and headed on down for about a 30 minute drive. Hit lots of traffic on the highway and the main road off of the highway. Started to worry about getting there in time so didn't stop for any fuel for the body or anything. I made it to the race in time.
Event warmup:

Tried to find a place for transition as it wasn't real formal since no bike. The whole area was sand so found an open area and set up my shoes and number belt. Went out to check on the water and went for about a 50M swim out and back. Water felt good and I seemed relaxed. AT start time we had to walk around the lake as it was a point to point swim with the starting point being the other side of the lake.
Swim
  • 09m 40s
  • 481 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me as I was able to stay relaxed and just go. Started at the back and to the right to try and stay clear but that didn't work great as I'm not good at maneuvering around people. Got clobbered by a forearm shiver a couple of times early on. I've been working on siting and that seemed to go better this time and the course was marked with buoys on both sides you had to stay between so that was very easy. I found that when I focus on my stroke and form I don't worry about anything and just swim. Something good to remember going forward!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Maybe start a little more forward but probably won't take that advice at NJ State.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Run up a sandy beach to a sandy transition area made this a mess. I didn't really have the right stuff with me so ended up with wet, sandy feet in my shoes.

Bring a bucket to clean off the feet.
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling ok but was getting passed more than normal which I guess is a good thing because it means I beat some folks out of the water! Latched onto a woman who was running in front of me as she seemed a bit quicker than me so wanted to try and hold onto her as long as I could. Reached the halfway point at just under 12 minutes so was glad to see that after my 13:50 at Parvin. Was starting to get a little tired (really need to eat something before a race as I hadn't eaten anything in 6 hours) and hot so was just trudging along for awhile. Had another woman pass me and sped up to stay on her heels. When I could hear the finish I decided to put in some effort and try and finish ahead of her so the last couple of hundred yards I was close to a sprint. I ended up finishing ahead of her in the run so I was glad to see a little comepetitiveness in me come out.

Eat some fuel before the race and be willing to push myself a little more and earlier on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to a few folks and grabbed some refreshements. Spent some time trying to get the sand out of my stuff!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time and age. Without being able to train more I shouldn't/can't expect much more. I hope to work on my 5K speed over the off season with a goal of being in the 22's next year.

Event comments:

Liked the race. Cheap and a good chance to get in the water in a race environment. Not all of the stuff that is normally at a full on Tri but that's ok. Will want to do this one or something like it again.

Last updated: 2009-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:40 | 481 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to Point swim in a shallow lake. Actually hit a few areas only about 2 to 3 feet deep.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  01:09
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:24:22 | 03.11 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back around the lake. Very flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-09 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes

2009-07-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2273190

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes
Nice race! The swim was good and you kicked butt on the run! Great job!
2009-07-15 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2273190

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes
Awesome job, Bob!  Remember that feeling in the water and take that with you to each race!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash and Dash at Marlton Lakes Rss Feed