Team Magic
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = 1071/1103
Age Group = 45 - 49 Female
Age Group Rank = 31/34
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 2:45 after a short night of very uneasy sleep. Had some coffee and a bite to eat and left to meet Devon. We had a 2 hour drive so we packed up and headed out. When we arived, everything seemed to be way too busy. We parked and I went to pick up my registration package and Devon went to check out her volunteer post. Went back to the car to get my bike and the rest of my gear. I went to get body marked and stopped at the portapotty. When I finished, the announcer said something about a transition area full of bikes and no athletes. Ok, something's not right. Registration was supposed to open at 5:30, we got here at 5:30, why is everything so much more advanced that that? I looked over at someone's watch and realized that it was 6:30! The time changed from Central to Eastern time and we missed it. Ugh! Full rush mode to get my bike into transition and set everything up to get on the bus to the swim start. Everything seemed ok so I headed to the swim start in full panic mode.
Event warmup:

Not much other than running around like a chicken with my head cutoff.
Swim
  • 37m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trial start so I got off pretty uneventfully. Swimming is my weakest sport by far. I am ok with enduance, but I am s-l-o-w. I was passed by a lot of people, but the contact was minimal. I knew from previous reports that I would pass under three bridges. But after that third bridge, I kinda of checked out. I really wanted to be through with the swim. I couldn't see the exit and did not know how much longer I would have to swim. I just really had to put my head down and dig in and the exit was finally in sight. The exit was up some steps and there were guys standing there to help pull you out. One guy grabbed my hand and pulled before I had a foot on a step or a hand on a rail so up out of the water I came.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

I actually ran through transition. Normally I am so out of wack from the swim that I can barely walk much less run. Used my spare water bottle to wash the grass off my feet before putting my socks and bike shoes on and off I went.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 19s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to take a few bites of food in the beginning. I felt pretty good in general about the bike leg. Seeing everyone whiz past me kind of dampered that a bit but I knew I was putting everything into it and it really wasn't that bad. The course was pretty hilly, the long drawn out kind which are the hardest for me. The down hills were pretty nice. I tried to stay in my aero bars for the flats and downhills. There was one downhill that I knew was going to be pretty fast so I decided to get in the drops instead to be a little closer to the brakes. I didn't get the speed I expected because there was someone going pretty slow and as I tried to pass, faster riders started yelling "on your left" so I slowed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Did pretty good with this transition. Racked my bike, changed my shoes and off I went.
Run
  • 1h 17m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was going to have a huge problem with my run. I started pretty slow and came to the steps, which I walked up. There was a pretty good downhill after the steps. Going downhill, I started having something seize up behind my knee. It got to the point where I couldn't put my foot completely down. Great. This was going to be a long 6 miles. It eventually worked out and I really didn't have any problems after that. I really got the the point where the run was pretty ok. I knew I could hang in there. I started playing leapfrog with a lady in my age group. She seemed faster than me but would slow at aid stations or other reasons and I would pass her. Another lady, a little younger, got in the mix around mile 3 and started talking to us both so we all kind of stayed on the same pace until mile 5 where we hit the uphill. I like to dig through hills so I just lowered my head and took off, leaving both behind. I stayed ahead for the next mile and then rounded the corner to see the finish line. The lady in my age group started sprinting past me at that point. Another thing I like to do is sprint for the finish. I may not be very fast overall, but I like to kick it at the end. I felt like I had earned my place in front of her on the hill so I kicked it up and passed her. She fought pretty good but gave it up in the end and laughed. I hope she wasn't too mad.
Post race

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/34
Overall: 1084/1103
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:19 | 26.1 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/34
Overall: 923/1103
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:17:00 | 06.21 miles | 12m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/34
Overall: 1032/1103
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2009-07-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2279892

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Congratulations on finishing your first Oly!!  Sounds like you had a tough run, but you stuck with it!  Great job!!  And you even outkicked someone at the end! 

I would have been going crazy at the start losing an hour!!  It's great that you were able to get over that and focus on your race.  Nice job!
2009-07-13 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Awesome.  Completing that first Oly has to be one of the major milestones in this sport.  Way to fight it out on the run.  It is the sprint to the finish on any run that makes all the other painful miles worth it.
2009-07-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2280567

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Awesome job, it was a fun race out there! It's not an easy course, so nice job on your first Oly!

2009-07-15 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks

Hey--I'm a little late, but great job in your race last weekend!! Sounds like you had an awesome time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed