General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some Seattle Community Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-16 3:13 AM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
Subject: Looking for some Seattle Community
Hey all,
I've been working BT for a few weeks now and LOVE it!  However, I think I would be pushed that much harder if I found the community in my area...  I am:

22yo 6'2" male 180lbs, atheltic
I played ultimate frisbee for UW's B-team
I live in U-district and Bellevue
Just graduated from the UW a month ago

Seafair Tri is my first triathlon!  I signed up for beaver lake tri August 15th also.  I have goals to work towards but I feel like I could use a community to help me out.  Anyone have any good leads?

Pleasure to meet you all,
-Evan

2009-07-16 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2288596

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Looking for some Seattle Community
Welcome.  This is a great place to start meeting people, and at the races...  As far as "clubs" I am not to sure of too many of them.  There is one called the JFT club (Jill Fry) in Bellevue (you will see there shirts everywhere).  There is also TEAM FAST (which I think is part of the Ytri group in the Bothell area).

Another idea is for you to post a plan that you have for a run, ows, or bike (on this forum) and people may join you.

If you are looking for specifics you may reach out here and people can help you out.  Ex: I need to work on biking (specifically hills) but not too sure where to ride- ANY IDEAS, anyone want to join me, etc...

2009-07-16 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Seafair is supposed to be a fun one (lots of people!).

i am in redmond/bellevue area - graduated a little over a year ago, been doing tri's for 2 years and am also 22.  fun stuff!  have you biked much in the area? it is quite nice!
2009-07-16 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

JFT2 is a fun group. It is just getting going really though and is still pretty small for the most part. There is also Rais(ing) the Bar, a Tri Club in the greater Seattle Area that is pretty big for all skills of people. They seem to have a lot of group stuff going on all the time.

One thing to really really look at would be talking to people at the local Tri Shops (Speedy Reedy, Triumph Multisport, and Sammamish Valley Cycles are the 3 main ones that come to mind) to find out what groups are in the area and what they do, and who to contact or where to look for information. Most tri clubs/groups require a commitment upfront either in the form or dues, buying team gear or both but you can usually try out a ride or run or team meeting to see if you would like it first.

Welcome to the fun and good luck this weekend.

2009-07-18 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
thanks for the welcomes!  In general, I haven't done much biking in the Seattle area, I just started biking seriously as of this last spring.  My next big trek I want to do is the lake washington loop.  I need to get out east though, I heard something about a good bike path on the eastside: "may...something" trail.

I'll talk around at Seafair, see who I meet.  Thanks for the tips ya'll
2009-07-19 9:26 PM

Washington
You can also check the SeaTri website for something a little more local. 

The trail you're looking for is the Burke-Gilman trail which connects up to the Sammamish River Trail.  Although the trails can be fairly congested with the different types of users on it.  It can be an obstacle course sometimes dodging little kids on their bikes.  Eastside has lots of great riding and hills to boot.

See you at Beaver Lake.

2009-07-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2293791

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
ethilo - 2009-07-18 5:46 PM thanks for the welcomes!  In general, I haven't done much biking in the Seattle area, I just started biking seriously as of this last spring.  My next big trek I want to do is the lake washington loop.  I need to get out east though, I heard something about a good bike path on the eastside: "may...something" trail.

the burke gilman joins up with the sammamish river trail on the north end...the east side trail is Marymoor park.

You can ride the burke gilman and continue around to Marymoor park

Edited by mchally 2009-07-20 9:44 AM
2009-07-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2295701

User image

Extreme Veteran
mchally - 2009-07-20 7:38 AM
ethilo - 2009-07-18 5:46 PM thanks for the welcomes!  In general, I haven't done much biking in the Seattle area, I just started biking seriously as of this last spring.  My next big trek I want to do is the lake washington loop.  I need to get out east though, I heard something about a good bike path on the eastside: "may...something" trail.

the burke gilman joins up with the sammamish river trail on the north end...the east side trail is Marymoor park.

You can ride the burke gilman and continue around to Marymoor park

There is also the lake washington trail that runs around lake washington on the East side. I have not ridden it north of S. Bellevue to much but going south from Bellevue it is a pretty good trail.
2009-07-20 12:18 PM

New user

Hi there... I am new to the sport too. I signed up for the Beaver Lake one as well. I am in the Clydesdale division. I am 6'3'' and 223. I look forward to lumbering with all the big guys. Please don't lap me in the water. Anyways, I am in the bothell area and always on the Woodinville trail "running" and now biking. I just threw down for a Scott roadbike R3. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the sport. I am more of a previous football playing, beer drinking, play my little pony with my daughters kind of guy. So, if you have some my little ponies you want to play with or are looking for a downing partner, shoot me an email.

Chris
2009-07-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2296256

User image

Extreme Veteran
clugodmd - 2009-07-20 10:18 AM Hi there... I am new to the sport too. I signed up for the Beaver Lake one as well. I am in the Clydesdale division. I am 6'3'' and 223. I look forward to lumbering with all the big guys. Please don't lap me in the water. Anyways, I am in the bothell area and always on the Woodinville trail "running" and now biking. I just threw down for a Scott roadbike R3. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the sport. I am more of a previous football playing, beer drinking, play my little pony with my daughters kind of guy. So, if you have some my little ponies you want to play with or are looking for a downing partner, shoot me an email.

Chris

Welcome to the fun times Chris! Those Scott Roadies are nice. I say this with Envy as I contemplate my Trek Hybrid. I usually get passed, a lot, on the bike portion at least the flats and downhills but I am saving for a new bike this fall/winter (don't know what yet but looking at a few different options). I am up in the Bothell area visiting family all the time but not sure I know exactly where the woodinville trail is. How long is it? paved?
2009-07-24 12:38 AM

User image

Regular
Winston-Salem
I just did the Lake washington loop yesterday, starting at UW, extending it north, down the sammamish river trail through marymoor, down West Lake Sammamish blvd, across I-90 and back to UW along the waterfront.  Exactly 50mi.

Oh man are my legs tired.

2009-07-26 12:31 AM
in reply to: #2305130

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
ethilo - 2009-07-23 10:38 PM I just did the Lake washington loop yesterday, starting at UW, extending it north, down the sammamish river trail through marymoor, down West Lake Sammamish blvd, across I-90 and back to UW along the waterfront.  Exactly 50mi.

Oh man are my legs tired.

Nice job!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some Seattle Community Rss Feed