Ultramax
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 36s
Overall Rank = 383/462
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 21/30
Pre-race routine:

My husband and I stayed with my sister and her family. She fed me well (normal dinner) and we relaxed. Drove the bike course and purchased a last minute pair of capri exercise pants due to the chilly temperature. My hubby (aka cheerleader) and I got to the race site right around 6 am. It was pretty darn chilly out, so they were only marking our left arm. I got my arm marked, set up my bike, pondered my shirt choices given the weather and wandered around. From my bike location, I walked to the bike out point and run out points so I knew where I was in relation to everything else. I kept going back to my bike location in transition to see who was coming in around me, and to help me locate my bike during T1. This relaxed me. Felt good mentally and physically (aside from a little chilly).
Event warmup:

I didn't do much warming up, just a few stretches and some general moving around to stay warm-ish.
Swim
  • 05m 53s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was frustrating for me because I felt strong it in coming in. I was supposed to be swimming with folks at a 5:15-5:30 swim time, but we were going slower. About lane 3-4, it really bogged down and was virtually impossible to pass. The crowed lanes, people not really knowing their swim times and inability to pass was tricky. I also didn't get good pushes off the walls and flip turns were less than perfect. Since it was so crowded, I lost my breathing rhythm in the second half. Didn't feel over-exerted at any time, which was good. I had decided before entering the pool that this was simply a "warm up" to my bike and I wasn't going to stress over 30 seconds on a short swim.
What would you do differently?:

Go with a faster swim group, because I could have easily. Get better pushes off the wall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

It was colder than I would've liked (how often will I work this in to my race report??). I heard my husband cheering for me as I left the pool area, which was great. I took some time to dry off and had trouble getting into my socks.

Not really anything. I didn't rush or dawdle and felt pretty ok. I really wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything vital.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 50s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 14.22 mile/hr
Comments:

For all the hills, I had a great chance to use all my gears. I stood and powered up some hills, and would go into the granny gear on others. This was a little tougher overall than I expected. I passed some folks but was mostly passed by others who kept cheering me on. Saw hubby in one spot for a cheer. My chain fell off at one point, so I had to dismount and fix that. Following the advice of a BT'er that had done this race before, I kept my gear easy for last mile. This proved to be a very good decision.

Train more on the bike, especially hills.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

As I entered T2, I heard the announcer..."and now we have racer 113, Sarah L*****, entering the transition area. She's racking her bike and putting on her kicks." This was pretty awesome, but funny to me. Who really cared about me, a first time triathlete, when there were really awesome elites there? But, I digress...By the time I got here, my toes were frozen. The last minute decision to wear capris instead of shorts on the bike and run was a good one. I got my bike jacket, helmet and shoes off without much of a hitch. Again, I didn't rush and felt good. I took a last swig of water before heading out to run. I walked through transition to help my legs adjust, began running at run-out sign.

I wouldn't have taken that last drink of water...I could feel it slosh around in my stomach as I started to run.
Run
  • 34m 40s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was amazing to me, as I don't consider myself a runner and it was the only thing I didn't spend much time doing before deciding to particpate in a triathlon. I came out of T2, saw my hubby again and told him I'd see him in 40 minutes. It was a hugely conservative estimate, but I had such a hard bike ride, I didn't know what my legs would do. I jogged slowly until I found my groove, a little less than a mile in. Then, I hit the first mile marker and thought "Ohmigosh! I'm almost done! Keep running." The run felt good and there was someone doing a walk/run combo in front of me and I just had to remember my goal... to run the whole run. I did, I felt great the whole time. I kept thinking of my goals, how close I was to accomplishing them and that kept me feeling good. Amazing!

Not one thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a bit, had some water and fruit. Very light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training harder, but faster wasn't my goal for this, my first triathlon.

Event comments:

I'm proud to say that this race was my personal best! I reached all my goals:
1. to finish
2. to run the entire run
3. to not be last in my age group

This was a good race, with lots of first timers and very elite athletes. Had it been a little warmer, I would've stuck around to see post-race events, but I was shivering. If doing this race, be sure you train hills for the bike!

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:53 | 300 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/462
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: We swam 300 yard in a pool, starting at one end, snaking up and down each lane until we were on the opposite end of the pool. We were heated in groups by swim time in 15 second increments. For being a pool, the water was pretty murky.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:50 | 17.5 miles | 14.22 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was mostly on low traffic and neighborhood roads. It was hilly and windy, both usually going on at the same time.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:40 | 03.4 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The course was pretty flat on a local trail with a small hill at the end. We did have to contend with some folks out for morning exercise, but that was OK with me...I'm glad to see them out there!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-03 10:40 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: First Tri: Race for Sight

2005-05-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #151936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
Subject: RE: First Tri: Race for Sight
congrats
you did pretty darn well on the bike considering the course, for your first one
2005-05-03 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: Nice Effort!
That course is hillier than I remember from last year and the wind didn't help either.....your effort on a difficult bike course is to be commended!

Congrats! on your first tri,

Paul
2005-05-03 11:59 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Thanks!

That bike was tough...I bet one of you were one of the ones that past me saying "good job!" It would be a great training ride to go back to though, minus some of the rough patches. Too bad I don't live in Columbia.

2005-05-03 3:50 PM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
Nice Race! Congrats on accomplishing your goals.
2005-05-03 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
you thought it was windy?

2005-05-04 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Great job Sarah!!! I have a bit of advice for those stubborn socks: if you put some baby powder in them before your race, they will fly on, even with wet feet!!!

YOU'RE A TRIATHLETE!
2005-05-06 2:17 PM

User image

Lakewood, CO
Congrats on your first race!!! Sounded realy fun. except the swim part sounded frustrating, and you comment "For being a pool, the water was pretty murky." That sounds scary...

Micah
2005-05-07 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congrats on a great race and finishing your first tri. Great job all around. -SMO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » First Tri: Race for Sight Rss Feed