Midwest Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 32/274
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 5/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, ate 2 waffles and a banana with coffee and water. Went through checklist and loaded gear bag into car. Was an early arriver, so got nice parking and my pick of transition spots. Checked in no problem. Checked out transition area and entries/exits. Bathroom visit, a little jogging and stretching and then it was time for the prerace meeting.
Event warmup:

Walked the beginning/end of the bike, stretched a little, jogged the begginning/end of the run, swam maybe 100 yards before the start.
Swim
  • 10m 29s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim - water was very smooth and as I was in the second wave, I didn't have too many people in front of me. Never found anyone to draft as I was kinda swimming on the outside of the larger group. I think I only made contact with someone 4 or 5 times. Good navigation. I felt pretty smooth, and swam nice and steady.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Could have pushed harder, but I wanted to just swim strong, but not wipe myself out.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Put shoes on in transition area as the beginnning of the bike was slightly uphill. I didn't push it too hard through T1 as I wanted to relax a bit and get reday to ride.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 48m 2s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Had one bottle with Gatorade and drank maybe half as it was fairly cool and overcast. Stuck with my "group" mainly. Passed by a few strong (and younger) riders from later waves. I didn't push it too hard up the hills, but felt fast on the flats and downhills.

Push harder maybe. I just find it kinda hard to push the bike real hard for some reason. I can do it for brief stretches, but then lose focus and relax a bit. Need to probably just spend more time on the bike, but I wonder if a few coaching sessions could help me quite a bit....
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Again, didn't push it too hard so I could relax a little and get ready to run. Everything went fine.

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it slow and steady up the hill, then loosened up on the flats and stretched it out on the downhill. I had focused more on running as I managed to finally stay injury free, so felt much more prepared for the run than I did at Waconia. It was perfect temp, so overheating was not a factor. Skipped all offered water as it was only a 5k and I drank on the bike.

Just be in better shape. Get in some longer runs and more speedwork too.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, walked around a bit then stretched and then watched some finishers. Met a friend and chatted a bit. Ate some watermelon and a banana, grabbed another water and packed up my stuff. Had to get going to another family event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of intense training.

Event comments:

Post race snacks were very limited, but they were planning a bbq for a bit later which I couldn't stay for. Lot's of cold bottled water though!

Last updated: 2009-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:29 | 586 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 31/274
Performance: Good
Suit: long john
Course: Counterclockwise skinny rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:02 | 16 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 37/274
Wind: Little
Course: Uphill the first couple of miles but not too steep, then some rollers and flats, finshing fast downhill. Nice course I thought.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 71/274
Course: Uphill the first 1.2 or so but not too steep, then a little flat section, finsihing with a long and fast downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes