General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gravenhurst, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada Inc.
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 27s
Overall Rank = 157/299
Age Group = Women 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at the Sleep Inn in Bracebridge overnight. I had a healthy dinner (chicken breast, baked potato, steamed veggies without toppings, Perrier), cleaned my bike, prepared all my race stuff. I also had a pre-bedtime snack (cottage cheese, cherries, raw cashews, sprinkle of pure maple sugar flakes, herbal tea), winded down a bit by watching television and went to sleep at 9:30 PM.

I got up at 4:30, had green tea while getting ready. I loaded my car, checked out and had breakfast at 5:45 (whole grain breakfast pita, peanut butter, banana, two Laughing Cow wedges, Earl Grey tea). I left the hotel at 6:00 and got to the race site at 6:20 or so.

I picked up my race bib and swag bag, got body marked and went to set my transition spot. Like last year, the skies looked gray all around therefore I covered all my gear with green garbage bags. I also brought my can of WD-40 and sprayed it on the cassette and chain just in case rain would fall.

I had plenty of time ahead of me so I walked around for a bit with my iPod on. I went back to put my wetsuit on and headed to the docks to board the steamboat. Once on board and about 15 minutes before jumping out of the boat, I downed a gel with water.
Event warmup:

Stretched on board and swam just about 250 meters in the lake once I jumped off the boat.
Swim
  • 30m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started the swim at the front. I was in the Women 44 and under wave which meant not too many feet to draft from. For about 300m, on the last 1000m, I drifted off course and had a bit of difficulty staying on it because of the current. It took forever to get to T1 once out of the water because the run to the mat is very long. Still a good swim overall, I improved my time by 5 minutes from last year's race.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Sub 2' for T1???? Wow!!! I could have been a bit faster though if I did not spend time debating if I was going to put my arm warmers on. I ended up not putting them on.

See above.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 25s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.00 km/hr
Comments:

Great bike! I don't have much else to say except that I have surprised myself a lot. I fueled every 15 minutes as scheduled with 20oz of GU2O mixed with two GU Just Plain gels. I had to throw up a little mid-way through the bike but continued fueling with the same stuff afterwards without problems. I was fast on the downhills and managed to do very well on the climbs. What I find interesting is that I wasn't tired even though I was riding in low Z4.

Perhaps have something solid 1/3 into the bike and not THAT much liquid.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I lost a bit of time because I was looking for my fuel belt which was hiding somewhere in the garbage bag and was not in plain view. It also took more time than I anticipated to put my running socks on.

Put the fuel belt where it can be seen.
Run
  • 1h 00m 54s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

It took about 2km before I finally got my legs going and surprise, surprise, I ran all the uphills! There were good runners in my age group and I did improve over many of the 10k runs I have had in the past; my goal was to run a sub 6 min/km but fell short by 54 seconds. Having lost a little over 10lbs helped a great deal but I could have had a much better run if I had not played little mental games with myself like looking at my watch at km 8 and telling myself "I'm feeling great but I can still nail that sub 3hr finish even if I slow down." What happens next? I F'N SLOW DOWN! GRRRRRRR... I cannot help kicking myself in the butt for that one! :) Second thing I should not have done was walking during my fuel times. I could have shaved another minute there at the very least.

Stop playing little mental games with myself, push HR into low Z3 and run during fuel times.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the site, stretched, drank my chocolate soy milk and had some post-race food. I didn't feel like having pizza so I stopped at Webber's on the way back for a cheeseburger. I also stopped at the Running Room to buy a foam roller as a reward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The little mental games I was playing with myself during the run.

Event comments:

What else can I say? That was a huge improvement, I managed to cut 22'10" from last year's time. The ballast I'm losing and the hard work I put in certainly paid off, I acheived a personal best in this distance and on a relatively tough course. Watch out Cobourg, I am gearing myself to do even better and may very well be in the running for a spot in my age group in the 2010 ITU Worlds in Budapest!

Last updated: 2009-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 83/299
Performance: Good
Time includes a very long run to T1. My watch indicated 29'05" when I got out of the water. It took me 1'47" to get to the T1 mat. Average HR was 149.
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Steamship boat ride to the start. L-shaped course with the final 1000m straight to shore. Looooong run to T1.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:25 | 40 kms | 31.00 km/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 128/299
Average HR was 155 (mid Z4).
Wind: Some
Course: Long Steady Grades and a Series of Short & Sharp Rollers on Jones Rd, Muskoka Rd North and Muskoka Beach Rd. Overall climb was somewhere around 1800 feet. The road was smooth for about 75% of the course, the other 25% was bumpy, rough and with potholes (especially Jones Rd, which I hope will be re-paved in 2010).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:54 | 10 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 212/299
Performance: Below average
Average HR was 158 (upper Z2).
Course: Rolling Out-&-Back Course on North Muldrew Lake Rd. Plenty of hills to contend with.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-07-18 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2293763

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Excellent race! 

Improving from last year is awesome

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed