General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heartland Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-19 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Subject: Heartland Triathlon : Official Thread

I'll go ahead and start er' up.

Any previous racers that can put my wife's mind at ease regarding the lake swim?

Also, how hilly is the course (bike or run?)

Thanks, I hope to meet a couple of you-

steve

2009-07-19 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2294816

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Heartland Triathlon : Official Thread

No worries on the lake it is clean and clear.  I did the race in 06 and 07.  It is bloody HOT...I man it is central FL in July.  Well done race.  Some rollers on the bike but very fun.  Run is pancake flat

2009-07-22 10:22 PM

User image

I am in.  Done this race the past few years.  What a great race.  Cherie Starr & Patrick High do a super job putting on this race...as does the whole city.  See you guys there.
2009-07-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2302908

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I raced the Heartland last year... it poured cats and dogs! Seriously... torrential downpour!

That aside, it is a first class race... possibly the best organized event that I attended last year (and they had awesome post-race grub- hamburgers, hotdogs... the works)! Tha pasta bash the night before is a MUST. Dave Scott spoke last year; this year it's Mark Allen. DO NOT MISS!!!

OK- the course:

The swim... SHORT! 1/4 mile. Lake is basically clear. We had some chop last year b/c the storm that I mentioned above was blowing in, but it's a typical Florida lake swim. No sea monsters were visible. I promise. The most difficult part of the swim is that it's a loooong run back to the shore (in calf deep water) and an even longer run uphill back to transition. T1 times were sloooooow across the board last year.

The bike... it's central Florida, so there are a few more gentle inclines than say coastal Florida, but we're not talking Clermont here. I had absolutely ZERO hill training last year and I had an awesome bike split at this event... despite the rain.

The run... Florida flat! The course looks even better this year; not as many turns.

Good luck!
2009-07-26 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Congrats Kevin.  You are an animal!

Sherry- it was fun to say hi to the author of "stiffy leg blues"  Congrats on your great race.

We'll be back next year.  My wife had a great first race, I PR'd the run.

Cheers,
steve
2009-07-26 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2308815

User image

EvenOlder - 2009-07-26 5:04 PM Congrats Kevin.  You are an animal!

Cheers,
steve

Thanks Steve.  I had to jet right after the race to get home so the wife could train a bit.  Looked like things were set for a great post race party as I was able to snag some pizza.  Another great Sebring event.  Thanks to Patrick & Cherie and also of course the City of Sebring. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heartland Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed