Headfirst Performance
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 26m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a great mini-vacation for myself and father. His side of our family is from Hodgenville KY and he had not been back "home" in over 25 years. His mother died when he was in college and his father moved to Florida sometime later. There are several aunts and cousins that we surprised with our visit. One of the highlights of our trip was visiting his mother's grave (who I never knew). It was pretty emotional for both of us. We drove to Louisville on Friday and went to dinner at Olive Garden and had some Graeters Ice Cream for desert.
Event warmup:

We got to the site around 7:00 and walked down to the starting area. I had been chatting with Jungle Jenn the previous week as we share the same last name...well as were walking to the starting line I start talking with a fellow racer and guess who it turned out to be...JUNGLE JEN HATCHER...CRAZY ODD

I jogged and stretched for about 5-10 minutes. I was surprised that the swim was wet suit legal and pissed I didn't bring my suit. After getting in the water I was very satisfied with my tri-suit. No way was the water at 78 degrees.
Swim
  • 38m 15s
  • 2431 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was apprehensive about the Ohio River swim, but so far no swimmers ear. Besides the pollution, I had never swam in a river before and was worried about the current. I checked my watch at the turn around and saw I was at 22'. This was very slow for me and I considered the current was the main factor. The swim back to the T1 was right at 16' so I made up the lost time with the current at my back.
What would you do differently?:

No too much....maybe push the first half of the swim a bit more, since the swim back for considerable easier.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

I am just not fast coming to T1. I might have too much stuff there....gloves, nutrition to eat, nutrition to carry..etc. It is what it is. Next race I am going to try and break 3'

Get more organized at T1
Bike
  • 3h 04m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Great course and wonderful volunteers.

I am thinking of getting a larger bike. I feel too cramped on my K-Factor Medium. This might be where the back pain lies.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Well I was dissapointed with my bike split, and had some pain in the left knee so I wasn't expecting a great run. This of course led to a longer T2 than I should have had.

Push a bit harder to get out of T2 quicker
Run
  • 1h 38m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

WOW WOW WOW WOW. Had no idea I had this in me. I think it was a combination of the flat course and great weather. I heard the course may have been 4/10th short but none the less much faster that I ever thought possible. Avg HR was 171 and my Garmin said I averaged 8:03 Pace.

I can't imagine running any faster than this!
Post race
Warm down:

Luckily I got to take a shower before we loaded up the plane and headed home....Dad wouldn't have liked sitting next to me for 2 hours in those tight quarters.....Ate a burger and fries at McDonlads.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike...I have to get faster on the bike!

Event comments:

Great race...just the right size and plenty of volunteers. Hope to get to do it again next year. I highly reccomend this

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:15 | 2431 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: The swim was a out and back with the first leg against the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:57 | 56 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was absolutly beautiful. It was much more rolling than I had suspected, with each downhill leading to a small rolling hill. There were two semi long climbs on the front side of the ride. I was averaging just about 19 MPH on the first half of the ride but the second half had a nasty headwind which slowed me down and kept me from meeting my goal of a sub 3:00 time. Overall my nutrition was spot on. I did have some pain under my left shoulder for most of the ride and some left outside knee pain. Oh yeah....very nasty hair pin turn at the last mile of the ride. I heard there were several wrecks. You have to blame the rider as the RD warned us before the race, and they had a volunteer at the crest of the hill reminding you of the danger that lies ahead.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:38:11 | 13.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The run course was really flat and fast. There was a small hill you had to hit three times but nothing too bad. There were two aid stations that you also passed three times. Again great volunteers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon

2009-07-19 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2295013

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon

I was there too (same age group!) and hadn't heard that the run might be a bit short.  Even if it was, that was more than made up for by the last 3/4 mile being through that long grass.  Man that was a tough way to finish a long race!  I'd be willing to pay an extra $20 on my entry fee next year if they would promise to mow the grass shorter!

And although the run wasn't super hilly, I thought the hill at the central aid station on the run got bigger during each loop!

Congrats on your race. 

2009-07-20 1:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh yea, forgot to say something about the long grass in my RR. That SUCKED! I will personally bring my mower next year and hook them up!

Nice run man. Very nice.
2009-07-20 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Agree...the long grass was a killer.  Why didn't they just do an out and back on that final stretch....that was crazy.
2009-07-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2295283

User image

Master
Ohio
Great Race James! Yeah, that grass was brutial! I'd like to have started on that grassy strech, not finished there.

Do you fly your own plane? That's kind of what it sounded like in you RR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cardinal Harbour Triathlon Rss Feed