General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Olympic Distance Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Olympic Distance Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Tri California
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 36m 51s
Overall Rank = 2536/2957
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 169/177
Pre-race routine:

Had PB/jelly sandwich and coffee on drive to course. Walked bike with gear down the long hill. Found transition spot got that set-up. Checked out the huge transition area to make sure I new where to go. Hit the bathroom. Watched a few of the mens waves go off. It was a long wait to my wave there were 25 total waves, mine was 21 of 25..
Event warmup:

Not much warm-up, got wet-suit on headed down to swim start, just in time for the wave before mine to go off, got in water swam around for a few minutes to get use to the water.
Swim
  • 41m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Actually for me this was a much improved swim over my first tri, which I did the entire 400m breaststroke. I started out in the back of the pack on purpose, and just did some breast/side stroke until I felt comfortable and then was able to kick into my normal freestyle stroke, just keep alternating the entire distance between the 3 strokes, but mostly was doing freestyle.
What would you do differently?:

Need more practice swimming with other peopele
Transition 1
  • 05m 45s
Comments:

wasn't worried about having fast transition, just finishing the race. Took my time, didn't have too many problems. Tried to eat a cliff bar as I was running, should have just taken my time and eaten the darn thing.

Not eat a cliff bar while trying to run with my bike.
Bike
  • 2h 19m 35s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 10.66 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a very hard course, tough hill right out of transition, but I compelted the course, without having to stop and walk any of the hills. Did not get enough water/gatorade, went through my Cambelback before I even got out to the main road. Got water at every aid station, except the last one the bottle I got was only half full, gotta plan a little better next time. It actually didn't seem as hard as it did when I rode it back in Feb. Not much else I can do to improve my riding except getting a new bike. I rode this on a Specialized Hard Rock MTB, with no clipless pedals or even toe clips.

Get a new bike
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Good transition, just took my time, little trouble racking the bike, but otherwise just grabed my race belt but on the sunvisor and went on my way

nothing
Run
  • 1h 26m 18s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Ok I knew going into this that I might not even be able to complete this portion of the tri, I have been unable to do any running since September. i've had some kind of hip/butt pain problem since then, and have baffled many Dr.'s so far. I did try a few time in March/April and the longest I could go was 5 minutes. I felt pretty good getting off the bike, so I decided to give it a try, knowing I still had time to walk the entire course if I needed to. I pretty much was able to run about 5 or so minutes and then would need to walk. I just kept doing this the entire course, I did have some muscle cramps in my quads at the beginning, but took my time at the aid stations and get lots of water and gatorade, they eventually went away. The last KM of the race is all down hill, I was able to run all of that and run across the finish line. It wasn't easy but I got across it...

Actually do some run training.. There wasn't much else I could do..
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water/gatorade. MAde my way to the massage table, was able to get 20 mintues in. Did some stretching.. Meet up with my friends who finished much earlier than I did, grabbed out gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of being able to run, and my bike..

Overall I am very happy with my race, I knew going in I was limited on what I could do, but I accomplished what I set out to go which was finish!!!!

Event comments:

This was a very well organzied and run race, they say they were short on volunteers I couldn't tell.

Last updated: 2005-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/177
Overall: 2644/2957
Performance: Good
Suit: full, orca speedsuit
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:45
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:19:35 | 24.8 miles | 10.66 mile/hr
Overall: 2857/2957
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly out and back course..
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:26:18 | 10 kms | 08m 38s  min/km
Overall: 2834/2957
Course: long hilly course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-04 1:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Wildflower Olympic Distance Course

2005-05-04 5:47 AM
in reply to: #152357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Wildflower Olympic Distance Course
Well done on crossing that finish line - you are awesome!
2005-05-04 5:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
LynnieB, congratulations. I enjoyed your race report as I'll be doing an Oly in a couple months. I was like you until recently, trying to get by on a less-than-ideal bike, then finally cracked and bought a nice one - wow, what a mega-difference! You'll be amazed at how a new bike will change your whole race - go for it! Again, way to go - you should be proud of your accomplishment!
2005-05-04 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-05 10:04 AM

Master
Boston
Woohoo! Congrats Lynn! Looks like a lot of people did Wildflower- did any of you guys meet up?  Sounds like you made it just fine through all three legs. Can't believe you did the bike on a mountain bike- once you get a road bike, you will be amazed at how your time will improve. But, great effort.
2005-05-06 12:10 PM

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Awesome job! Lots of love for you & all the others out there on mtn bikes!

Hope your hip/butt pain goes away soon so you can run more. Injuries suck...Especially ones that can't be diagnosed.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Olympic Distance Course Rss Feed