General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Newby questions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-04 12:31 PM

Great Neck
Subject: Half Iron Newby questions?
Hello all,
i'm doing my first tri in a few weeks in FL. Wetsuits don't seem necessary for this event as i checked last years photos.

Do people wear different tops for the swim portion vs the bike & run? Some athletes seem to be pulling off tops when they get out of the water...

Do people slip bike shorts over their tri shorts for the bike portion?

as always your responses are greatly appreciated.

eddie

2005-05-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #152538

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Half Iron Newby questions?

The answers to your questions are...it depends and it depends.

Totally personal preference!  For shirts on the swim...if your tri shirt/suit is made to swim in, it'll save you time in T1 to already have it on.  If it's got drag-adding pockets or what not...go topless (if you're a boy) and toss it on in T1.  I'm really not sure why any guy would be pulling OFF a top coming out of the water...that's weird to me.

Most people just wear tri shorts even for a HIM distance.  I plan on doing my HIM in tri shorts.  But maybe try both ways (with bike shorts and without) in training and see what works best for you?  It IS a HIM after all...an extra 30 seconds in transition isn't really anything if you aren't going to win the thing

Hope that helped!

2005-06-07 10:49 AM

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
Hey eddie,
Also doing my first HIM in a couple of weeks and have been pondering the bike versus tri shorts question. Given that I've never raced with bike shorts, I'm electing to go with tri shorts so as not to introduce anything new at this point. I guess I would rather "know" how much my butt is going to hurt
2005-06-07 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

The shorts question boils down to personal preference.  I did my first half IM 2 days ago, and from that I'd recommend checking that your tri-shorts don't rub over 56 miles on the bike when they're wet - if they're fine I'd be tempted to stick to tri shorts.  Although my tri-shorts were fine dry (and ok when wet over shorter distances) I found that they rubbed a little over the longer distance when wet (and it rained all day so I stayed wet).  If in doubt I'd say pull bike shorts on top; it's not going to add much to your overall time.

2005-06-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: #170373

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
any other advice/pointers from your first half IM experience... I'm all ears.
2005-06-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: #170373

User image

Norcross, GA
I just finished a 1/2 IM on Sunday and wore tri shorts without any problem. I recommend using bodyglide or some other lubricant that is NOT water based and applying it liberally to areas you think might get chaffed on the bike like the seams, etc. Chamois Butter is water soluable so it won't give you much protection after the swim. I got terrible saddle sores after a century ride a few weeks ago and have become obsessive about protecting my girl parts since then. Good luck!!

2005-06-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: #170512

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
Congrats on your first HIM!
Thanks for the advice re: bodyglide... a good idea.

2005-06-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: #170517

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Hmmm...how did I miss the original question when I posted before?  Hmmm...

Anyway...I wore bike shorts for my HIM last year.  VERY VERY VERY bad idea!  Think...chamois-shaped chafing!  Because the bike shorts are not designed to dry...they stayed wet for the duration.  AND felt like a huge diaper.  I did a test ride in my tri shorts (heck, whole outfit!) last week...56 miles.  Butt not sore...girl parts...well...sore.  As someone else suggested, if you have time to do a test-ride in full tri-gear...go for it!  But I would seriously recommend against the bike shorts if you plan on swimming in them.  I learned that one the hard way

2005-06-08 10:25 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I did a HIM last summer in tri - shorts, it worked out fine...even for the girl parts.

Out of curiousity tho...does chamois butter help with chafing in those "tender areas" when you're just riding and not soaking your shorts?    I do ok on my road bike even on 60+ mile rides, I guess I got lucky with the stock saddle.  But I also teach spin and those saddles are bad news.

2005-06-09 6:28 AM
in reply to: #171549

User image

Norcross, GA
Subject: Chamois Butter
I do spin classes too and will sometimes use chamois butter. It depends on which shorts I wear as well as whether I was riding over the weekend. If I even "think" I might get uncomfortable, I use it. I tend to sweat a lot and my shorts will get soaked and sometimes start chafing. The extra lube definitely helps prevent that. Everybody is different but I err on the side of caution....saddle sores and chafing suck!
2005-06-09 7:10 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Wendy, thanks for the reply   I've never used Chamois Butter because it wasn't carried in any store around here...but a new tri store just opened last month (YAY!) and they have it.  I will buy some when I go there tomorrow for sure...so do you just rub it into the chamois of your shorts or what?

Also, I've found that a well placed LARGE glob of vaseline can be a girls best friend.  But it is messy.

2005-06-09 8:28 AM
in reply to: #171603

User image

Norcross, GA
Yes, you can rub chamois butter into the pad of your shorts. Most of the time I just put it on myself and don't worry too much about the pad. I like to glob it on too, haha I haven't tried vasoline but I have used Aquaphor which is like vasoline. It's not water soluble like chamois butter so it's good to apply before the swim in a race. That way you'll have protection when you jump on the bike. Good luck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Newby questions? Rss Feed