General Discussion Race Reports! » Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Smyrna, Delaware
United States
Bricks Multisport
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 29s
Overall Rank = 36/125
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

NOTICE: I filled this out prior to the official results being posted. So any section with UPDATED: is now my perception of how I did during the race. Thanks for reading guys! Also pictures are on facebook from the race. Let me know if you want to see them and I'll become your "friend" too much work to put them up on here.

Not a great night sleeping woke up about every hour and a half. Finally said F'it and got up around 430ish. Got some cereal in me and some fluids. Packed up the rest of the car and headed about an hour and a half to the race location. Pretty boring drive, saw the sun come up and prep myself for a good race.
Event warmup:

Met up with everyone else (Christy, Steve, Steve's gf, and Dr. Pete). Racked my bike and got my packet. Transition area was first come first serve so I tried to pick out a good place to set up. I didn't realize how early I got to the race and just sorta sat around for a bit. Did a small warm up swim and took some pictures with the BT crew
Swim
  • 07m 55s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good swim and happy with the start. Needless to say there were some super fast swimmers out there. Pretty quick swim too considering only 400M swim total.

Update: yeah I'm really happy with my time considering it was OWS, navigation was good and a beach running start. Not too shabby. (33rd fastest)
What would you do differently?:

Focus a little better on the catch of my swim stroke and work on the kick too
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Took my time and it took a while to get my bike shoes on. Was 50/50 if I wanted to "try" the shoes already on the bike route but considering 75% of T1 was sand I didn't want to aid towards a blister problem.

Felt like a lot longer then this to be honest. Need to get it down to around a minute or so.

Get some new shoes in order to do T1 with a run on the bike
Bike
  • 38m 51s
  • 12.98 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Beginning started out really bad. Putting my shoes on and running through T1 got a lot of sand in the bike cleats. For the first 1/4 mile I was trying to get my feet in the pedals as hard as I could. FINALLY! They clicked in and I got into my rhythm. Had two guys that were in T1 with me and got out a tad faster then me because of my cleat problem. I focused on racing my race and not going out too hard. Caught around 4-5 people during the ride and really was pleased with my overall effort. Avg'd around 21-22 on the way out on the course and got CRUSHED by the headwind coming back.

One thing that really slowed me down were a few of the volunteers. At a main intersection with traffic a volunteer didn't single for me to turn until the last minute and I had to slam on the breaks losing a lot of speed.

Updated: Really happy with my time overall and the pace. Could have gone maybe 1-2 mins faster if I didn't have the clipping in issue. (28th fastest)

Shoes on the bike and not drink as much, which I'll describe later
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Took WAY too much time during T2 where I could slip the shoes on and get moving. Took about 45 seconds to tie my shoes and get everything squared away.

Update: Wasn't actually THAT bad considering the distance we had to run to get to T2. But still could have been a lot less to be honest.

Need to get a pair of run shoes JUST for racing. These shoes will have yanks and be lighters but still with some support
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Horrible run. Got about 1/2 mile into the run and my stomach had some SERIOUS issues! Thing that was frustrating was the great feeling of my legs and breathing. I tried to burp but everything I drank on the bike was just slosshing all around and making me feel like I had to puke. Get to the first mile and start walking. WTF! Pick it up (I'm saying to myself).

I get to the water station where a local family is handing out water. This little girl tries to hand me a water and I tell her no thank you. As I walk by them I hear, "Mommy he's not even running" I turn around and chuckle and think shit.. this is bad. I kick it up again and get to around mile 2ish and stop again with problems. Half tempted to just try and hurrel I hear Steve catching up to me and yells some encouragement. I run with him for about 800 yards and stop again with problems.

Finally I figure I'm around a 1/2 a mile from home and just said screw it. Just go! I catch up to Steve and pass him and make the final turn to the finish line. I keep pushing and feel a little better. Crossing the finish line Kim(Steves gf) takes my picture and cheers me on "great job CJ" and I quickly respond with a "that sucked!" Obviously not happy with my time I get a cool towel and some water and cheer Steve into the finish which he wasn't too far behind me.

Update: Considering the stomach issues it wasn't THAT bad of a time. Honestly I think I could have taken off about 5 mins of my time without the stomach issue. Ugh. I would have done about an 8ish min mile, which would have been much more pleasing. But I guess I'm happy with being still sub 9 min mile.

Not take as much fluid as I did, considering it was only a freaking 12 mile bike and a 5k run. I would have done pretty well if I didn't have that issue too. Maybe #1 in my AG?!
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled off and got some food. Saw everyone else come in (Christy, Skip and Dr. Pete). Cooled off, changed and awaited the awards and results. Ended up getting 2nd in my AG which I was happy about but considering the run results I wasn't all that happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much liquid on the run. Slosshy stomach doesn't make CJ a very fast runner

Event comments:

Good small little town race. I hope they don't plan to get much bigger because their current venue couldn't hold anymore people. Volunteers were a little lacking in the turning areas on the bike but overall very good.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:55 | 402 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/125
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit and short
Course: Clockwise circle with a beach start
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:51 | 12.98 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Circle loop around the fast and flat Delaware farms
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:27:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Simple small loop of an out and back. Fairly flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 7:23 AM

Pro
yep,
Subject: Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri

2009-07-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2300865

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri
nice job dude.  When race pics include you standing on the podium that's a good day.
2009-07-22 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
HA! That little girl was funny... "He's not even running".... That was a good motivator for you... eh?

Yeah, it was a great time on the run considering the stomach issues and walking!

Congrats on the podium finish! Always makes for a great race!

2009-07-23 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job CJ. I'm glad I was able to motivate you to pass me at the end. LOL

You also forgot to mention that Team BT-Maryland took first place in the Small Team competition!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bricks MultiSport Team Invitational Tri Rss Feed