General Discussion Race Reports! » Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burley, Utah
United States
Burley Idaho Lions Club
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 19s
Overall Rank = 127/1600
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/200
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, gathered up stuff in hotel room, met up with Jason Dewey at his hotel and we headed off for the ~40 min drive from Twin Falls to Burley. Chatted it up on the ride while snacking on a banana and some sourdough pretzel nubs. Got to the race -- went to T1 and dropped off water bottles and made sure everything was ready to go. Then went to race start area/T2 and setup. Made a couple stops at the bathroom, and then gathered in the start area.
Event warmup:

A light swim against the current in the water about 10 minutes before the race. There wasn't much time for anything else because of the way it was set up. It was fine though.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Always love the cheater swim. It's not bad. Just wish I wasn't such a wuss about getting hit and kicked.
What would you do differently?:

Toughen up so I don't get distracted and stop everytime I get hit and kicked. If I didn't stop 10 times during the swim, my time probably could have been at least a couple of minutes better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Always have a hard time with this transition. It's tough to do all of the things you have to to make sure you're ready for the next event. Esp. the wet wetsuit...

Practice starting bike with shoes already clipped into pedals.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 42s
  • 25 miles
  • 23.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on this ride, esp. after I got warmed up. Felt like I could have pushed twice as hard, but held back to conserve for the run. Even with the conservation, I had one of the fastest bike times in the race. Feel good about my conditioning on the bike right now...

Almost took myself down with another rider on the last corner... As I slowed down my back tire went nuts and I just about sideswiped another rider next to me. Glad that didn't happen--recovered safely.

Not much-- just work on finding more efficiencies on my bike to squeak more speed out of my legs with the same work. Try to match Lance as best I can :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I honestly can't feel bad about this transition. This is probably the fastest T2 time I've ever had, esp. for a transition area this big. I didn't mess around. Just dropped off the bike, got the shoes on, took a swig of water and headed for the exit, running. I felt good.

Not much. Just practice getting my HR back under control with some rhythmic breathing or something. If I could just sprint through T2 I'd be unstoppable :)
Run
  • 52m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I always struggle on the run leg of every triathlon. It's tough since it's at the end and esp. when it's 6 miles! But I toughened up mentally to make sure my unnecessary stops and "wussiness" were minimized and feel like I made a great mental effort to run this race. I swam with my garmin and soaked it so I couldn't use it, but I had a watch showing the time and calculated about where I was... Knew I had to kick it into gear at the end if I was going to make my goal, and I did. I didn't want to miss my goal... Made it!

Just need to do a bunch more bricks in hot weather, and toughen myself up. More intervals would help too. When you always just do standalone runs in cool weather, you can't expect to show up at a race in different conditions and go faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching and BS'n with other racers. Celebration of accomplishment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was all mental. I'm more and more convinced that I have fewer physical limitations and that it is mostly the mental limitations I need to work on. I need to determine how to raise my pain threshold. But I approached this race correctly- just came to have fun, whatever happened, and that is a start- It puts you in the right mental state. Not having a working GPS watch may have been the best thing that happened for me at this race. Might have to ignore it more often!

Event comments:

Love how fast this race course is. No where else can you run an Oly distance race in just over 2 hours. I'll have to try a regular one this season and compare just to be reminded of how easy this one is :)

Last updated: 2009-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/200
Overall: 0/1600
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Mostly straight swim with the current in the river, with a slight bend toward the end. No chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:42 | 25 miles | 23.92 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat fast square loop, with some very minor rolling bumps, but I think it's a bit exaggerated to call them "hills". Fast and easy to cruise. Lots of farm country surrounding course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Steep, short uphill on the way out of the T2 area, but then it flattens out for the first three miles. Might be slightly uphill. Then it goes slightly downhill and back up (a little). Then it's downhill back into the golf course for a finish so you can really cruise. For all intents and purposes this course is FLAT.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-28 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon

2009-07-31 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2312280

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon

WOW, I created a MONSTER!   

Awesome race man -- you should be VERY VERY pleased.   I still get a kick out of how you wuss out a walk on the runs in almost every race.   You're such a strong athlete, I find a little bit of humor in that.  But I know the feeling.  I've been struggling with the walking during a run thing a lot lately.   You know the Run a mile and feel like you're gonna puke syndrome..... Sounds like you about 4 years ago on about your second or third run.

All seriousness.  I think you do need to do a "traditional" Oly on a similar type of course, and see what you can bang out.   I think you'd surprise yourself.  Mybe try it at Bear Lake!

Anyway, I never cease to be amazed at how far you've come as a triathlete.   Or as an athlete for that matter.   Look where you're placing -- top 10-15% of the event... and in your age group, which is arguably one of the toughest to compete in.  You're doing amazing things!

Keep it up!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon Rss Feed