United States
70+F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 15s
Overall Rank = 92/758
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/59
Pre-race routine:

Got up early 4:30am, ate a peanut butter sanwich and a cup of coffee with a poptar.. Took my time to go over everything I needed (I prepared everything the night before). Loaded up my car and took of for the triathlon site (1 hour away). I started driving and then I realize that the stupid highway was going to be closed for the weekend. I had to stop and try to devise another way to get there. I was getting a little nervous, cuz I got up early in order to make in time and now it seems that I was going to cut it short... AGAIN.
Finally got there and set up my transition area... It was nice... all bikes had a pre-assiged spot.. Therefore I did not have to fight for a little piece of real state...
Event warmup:

Jumping up and down and trying to get everything ready.. I could not warm up properly... lack of time. They closed the transition area and herded us to the water... There were a total of 12 waves... i was in wave 9....
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 550 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swimming is faster than this..... I was dissapointed when I finish the swim and saw my watch... i should have done that swim in one or two minutes faster... Gosh what am I saying.... it was great...
What would you do differently?:

I will definitly would like to avoid the mess at the beginning... next time I will start at the sides... and swim hard for the first 200 meters to get a good head start
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Need to practice more transitioning.. I felt today that I was way too slow on the first transition... about 3 min+

practice more
Bike
  • 43m 15s
  • 15.6 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

A great race... I felt very safe on the road... Traffic was detoured as to leave the road for the event alone... It was great.

Not much.... just try to reduce my transition time from swim to bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

This transition was good... I think I did it quite fast..

not much
Run
  • 22m 15s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I started fast.... I found a guy who was very comfortable and fast and I just stick to his heels. I knew he was running fast and I tried to keep up... I knew I could hold that pace for at least 2 miles... but I eneded up keeping up with him all the way to the end.. At the end he sprinted and there was no way I was going to keep up then... He paced me well and I am just glad I could keep up with him. We passed lots of people and I did not get passed by anybody on my age group.... I passed several though....

on th run.. nothing much.... but I would have liked to swim faster..
Post race
Warm down:

walking and consuming lots of fluids... and try to keep moving until my heart rate went really down... I felt good after the race

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim... I think I shouold have finished at least 5 min faster should I have swam better and transition better... But hey... next time...

Event comments:

This race was definitly one of the best I have seen. They had plenty of volunteers, great support and everything was on time. Everybike had its pre-assigned spot and the transition area was carpeted and there was plenty of space to do everything needed...

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 550 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/59
Overall: 100/758
Performance: Below average
My slowest 550 yards so far this season. My googles were knoked off at the beginning of the swim, had to stop and re-adjust them. We were swiming toward the sun and I could not see where the turns were... The sun was really too bright... had to completly stop and try to see where I was and where I was going.. Once I figure it out I started to swim hard, but I did not make up for the time I lost.. I was passing people and had to zig/zag to avoid slow swimers.
Suit: none
Course: triangular course... water was murky and the sun made it very difficult to navigate...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:15 | 15.6 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/59
Overall: 156/758
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Around some country roads and major roads. A line was completly closed to traffic.... Great police and volunteer prescence. They sweep the corners to remove gravel and well marked.. It was great... I started on an easy gear and tried to mantain a high cadence.. As I got speed I shifted trying to mantain the cadence..... I felt very strong on the bike... It was my fastest on a triathlon...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:15 | 03.2 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/59
Overall: 59/758
Performance: Good
Course: A nice well marked and full of support course around country roads and we even went through a shopping mall.. Lots of spectators and cheering people...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: CBI the Woodlands Triathlon

2005-05-08 5:38 AM
in reply to: #154165

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: CBI the Woodlands Triathlon
Nice race! Congrats.
2005-05-08 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
EXCELLENT BIG GUY!!!!  It was rather nice that you found that runner to pace yourself with.  You're the Man, Luis!!!!!
2005-05-08 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
velasqu7 - I did this tri as well and was really impressed with the effort they put into it.

The little things make such a big difference - I got there early and they had huge floodlights lighting the way to the transition area - very cool watching the steam come off the lake in the early dawn. When I arrivd, they descended on me and got my body marked and time chipped me in one fell swoop. I forgot, but now remember the black carpeted, assigned transition area - no jostling for position. The amount of volunteers and traffic control were just phenomenal too - felt very safe. I haven't done many tri's yet, but this made me feel like an athlete and I turned in my best performance to date.
2005-05-09 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
I updated the results...  I am happier now that I know i broke the 7 min/mile mark on my run..  That is one of the fasters splits I have ever done...
I guess I have a new PR  now....  
Thanks for the encouragement

2005-05-09 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)

velasqu7...

Great job! Way to stick with it during the swim and not let it get you too sidetracked.

2005-05-26 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I missed this before - wow, what a great race!  I know too that you can swim faster, but you had a terrific bike and a smokin' run!  Damn, we're in the same AG too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CBI the Woodlands Triathlon Rss Feed