General Discussion Race Reports! » Occoquan 5K (daughter's first non-kid distance) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Occoquan 5K (daughter's first non-kid distance) - Run

View Member's Race Log
Occoquan, VA
United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar and some water 20 min prior to the gun.
Event warmup:

Stretching.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

What a day. My daughter woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and was pretty much complaining non-stop. She is usually the picture of a perfect child, but when she doesn't get enough sleep she gets in this whining phase that can last a few hours.

This was a VERY small race with less than 150 people. ...So the gun goes off and we take off at a nice easy jog (me, wife, daughter). Immediately I can tell this is not going to be good because she is doing the "forced labored breathing thing" right from the get go. I lasted about 7 minutes and the wife sent me off to actually run the rest of the race (she could see my blood pressure rising. If there is one thing I can't stand its whining). So I take off and finish this thing in a respectable ~26 minutes. Considering I had gone less than a half mile in the first 7 min, I put my pace somewhere just under 7 (which I consider pretty good for me considering the monster hill).

So after I finished I immediately set back out to find my offspring and see if the situation had improved. She was just coming to the bottom of the hill and had fortunately morphed back into the child I know and love- laughing, giggling, and singing. She and my wife were run/walking the course and I met back up with them right at mile 2. So we all finished the last mile together, pretty much having a great time. She came in with a total time of 44 min.

So...we're hanging around for the raffle to see if we win anything and they announce the winners starting with girls, 14 and under. 1st place- you guessed it, my daughter :). She won a blue ribbon and a little gift bag of stuff. She also got to pick out a free prize (she picked a yoga CD). You couldn't get the smile off her face with a belt sander for the next 2 hours. It gets better. I took 3rd place in the Male, 30-34 division. Had I actually ran from the start I would have won. Whoda thunk? I guess that hill knocked out a lot of people.

After the race the wife and I went to a local park and ran another 4.5 around a lake (have to log that under yesterday). To top things off, my daughter's soccer team won a pretty impressive victory this afternoon. She'll sleep well tonight :)
What would you do differently?:

Get the kid to bed earlier!
Post race

Last updated: 2005-04-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Can you say holy hill! Most of the run was flat, but there was a 1/2 mile long hill, the last 200 yards of which had to bordering on some kind of gradient limit code.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 5:26 PM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Occoquan 5K (daughter's first non-kid distance)

2005-05-07 6:57 PM
in reply to: #154166

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Occoquan 5K (daughter's first non-kid distance)

Sounds like my house!!   Awesome run for all today!!   Congrats!

BTW:  Is it customary for you to attempt to remove emotions from your daughter's face with a belt sander??!!

2005-05-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: #154166

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

That's phenomenal, mike...congratulations to you and your wife / daughter...sounds like just an awesome day, and a great thing to do with the family...

2005-05-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: #154201

Master
Colorado

G8RSAX - 2005-05-07 6:57 PM BTW:  Is it customary for you to attempt to remove emotions from your daughter's face with a belt sander??!!

Don't you???

Edited by Stake 2005-05-07 9:36 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Occoquan 5K (daughter's first non-kid distance) Rss Feed