General Discussion Race Reports! » Heels and Hills "A Dollar A K" Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heels and Hills "A Dollar A K" Race - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 AM and rushed out the door. The race started at 6:30 so I had to hurry up and get there!

Didn't eat breakfast, just ate a gel before the run.
Event warmup:

Stood around waiting for the race to start.
Run
  • 58m 52s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a small race- only 100 contestents doing anywhere from a 5K, a 10K or a 15K. This race was $1 a K and thus had no T-shirts (fine by me) or medals for the age group winners (which is fine, but dang, I got first in my age group!).

So we all started together in a pack. I followed the crowd and made sure to keep my pace. I wanted to keep a 9:30 minute mile for the whole run.

I pulled down my visor, turned up my music and kept my focus. I have come to realize that when I run I have to really withdraw into myself and not get distracted. I have to focus on my running and breathing. I also have to focus on NOT WALKING just because it sounds like a good idea and it feels good.

I wasn't sure how my performance would be, since I did a sprint tri the day before (PRed the run with a 8:15 minute mile)... and my left hamstring was very tight and sore.

I told myself to focus on running, not the tightness or any pain. Run. Keep running. That's all I was allowed to think about. I guess it worked, because I kept running. In fact, I never stopped and walked at all. I have walked in my other runs, if only for a few seconds- but not today, not this time.

I was getting a little tired around miles 3-4, but reminded myself that 6.1 miles is nothing. I had this. I ran 6 miles the weekend before at 9:30 ish minute mile no problem. I could do it again.

I took in a gel at mile 3. I normally wouldn't do this for a 6 mile run, but since I didn't eat breakfast and I was riding afterwards, it seemed like a wise decision. And it was.

Just kept trucking along. When the last mile came I just kept reminding myself that I had it and I was ahead of my goal time of 59:16 (ran 6 miles in that the previous weekend and I wanted to beat that time).

I beat that time all right... woo-hoo... another PR!!!

Crossed the "finish line" and turned in my chip. Walked around for a few minutes and then sat down and rested. Made sure there weren't awards, as I was pretty sure I placed in my AG due to there being such a SMALL field of runners.

I am proud to say though that I got first in my age group by 2 minutes and beat 6 other ladies. That's history in the making for me!

Then I got up and walked back to my car- it was time to ride my bike! Met a friend and rode for 1.5 hours- and it hurt really bad. HA!

Post race
Event comments:

Although the race was bare bones without any fan-fare... I'll give it a rating of 4. The important stuff was in place. They had the course marked, timing chips were used, drink stations were available, and there were some bagels at the end. I don't really need another T-shirt, so I was happy paying $10 for a basic running race. I really used it as my motivation to actually get out of bed early on Sunday to run. It worked! I would do another one of these again! I heard they are hosting on on 8-9-09, but I will be out of town.

Last updated: 2009-07-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:52 | 06.1 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-29 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Heels and Hills "A Dollar A K" Race

2009-07-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2315562

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Heels and Hills "A Dollar A K" Race
What a weekend; knocking down two quality races in two days.

Good job on maintaining that focus.

Keep up the steady work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heels and Hills "A Dollar A K" Race Rss Feed