General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 02m 57s
Overall Rank = 373/379
Age Group = 45 - 49 Female
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and jelly with a banana. It rained pretty heavily on the way to the race site with quite a bit of lightening. I was afraid it may affect the race, but things settled down before the start.
Event warmup:

None, really.
Swim
  • 59m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Standing in line waiting for the swim start, I had some great conversations with the people around me. Most were there because they expected to have a similar swim time to mine so they were of similar ability. There was one lady, Denise, who had completed the tri in Chattanooga dead last. Her time was over 5 hours while I finished in 3:44. She had such a great attitude for being so slow but was overjoyed at being able to do them at all.

I learned a lot about open water swimming today. Unfortunately, I didn't learn it quickly enough. The swim start was a time trial start. We were to jump in feet first one swimmer after another. I remember thinking as another swimmer jumped in how I recalled that if you bend you leg a little when you jumped in, it kept you from going too far under water. As soon as I had that thought, it went straight out of my head. I jumped in and went down about 20 feet, well, probably not that far, but it felt pretty deep. The only open water swim experience I've had has been in the lake and one river swim that was with the current only. I'd read prior to today that the Corp of Engineers would be controlling the water flow through the dams to insure low current so I really did not have much thoughts of current. I noticed that one guy was swimming frog style but was passing me. I know, I'm very slow. I initially followed all the other green caps to the next bridge where I know the first turn was. When I got to the bridge, most of the other swimmers had cleared out around me. I realized that the next buoy was in the middle of the river and I was not making any progress toward it. More current than I thought, but I couldn't feel it just couldn't make much progress. I finally got around the buoy and started the downstream portion. Everything felt ok here and I just swam and tried not to think about anything else. At the next turn buoy, the guy in the boat was telling me to dig in harder than I felt I needed to because the current was pulling people off course. So dig in I did. When I finally started back upstream, I could not make any progress. This is where I started losing my focus. I could see the end but I couldn't make any progress toward it. Even feet from the ladder took much longer than I could tolerate. Folks from the short course were finishing up and vying for the same ladder. They were all very gracious and seemed to make way for me to take it first but when I grabbed it, I still had to fight the current to get around to the front of it. Finally got out and was never so glad.
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

The run from the swim was pretty long but I still took longer than I should have.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 12s
  • 25.18 miles
  • 15.23 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride out was a gradual uphill, more like rolling with more up than down. About 2/3 of the way before the turn around, there was a decent downhill. After the turnaround, there was an initial climb but the rest was rollers which should have more of a downhill and much easier, but the wind picked up some and kept my pace down. The initial loop was pretty energizing as there were a lot of people on the couse, most on their second loop or those doing the short course. The second loop was pretty lonely. Very few people were on the course at this point. I also was really needing a bathroom and was keeping my eye on the side of the road for a quick pit stop. Nothing seemed sheltered enough to risk so I was pretty destressed the last 25% of the ride. Plus, the wind picked up even more on the last ride back in. I got back to transition and my friend was at the dismount line directing racers. I told her I really needed to go to the porta-potties so she held my bike while I took a few minutes extra before crossing the timing mat.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

I couldn't determine which way to head out for the run, so I went back to the bike entrance to ask a volunteer. He pointed to an area and when I went there, I was told I need to go back down the aisle to run out along the back edge to go out this exit. Huh? Oh well, I should have paid attention. The volunteers seemed to have lost interest at this point, but I was pretty far in the back so I couldn't blame them.
Run
  • 1h 15m 59s
  • 5.97 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I started over the pedestrian bridge, I knew why I worried about the run. I knew that bridge was going to be steep and I was not disappointed. Good thing was that it was relatively short. Bad thing was I knew I was going to have to do it again. This first loop was nothing like the first loop on the bike. Almost every one was through and very few were still running. I kept plodding away, pushing uphill on 1st Ave, enjoying the downhill of 2nd Ave and pushing uphill again on 3rd Ave. When I was getting to the end of the first loop, I passed someone walking away from the race area. She was trying to encourage me by saying I was almost through. I said not really and she said oh no, really, you are almost through and I had to say that no, this was only my first loop and I still had another to run. So off on the second loop I went. Up the steep bridge and back around the ups and downs of the downtown roads. I had several friends waiting for me at the finish line so I had some nice pictures with a smile on my face. The only thing I could say was OMG, that was really hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area, got a bite to eat and watched the awards be given out. Thanks to my friend, Devon, who helped me get everything I needed. I also ran into Denise again. Her race had not gone as well as she had wanted. She was taking longer to complete the swim course than the race officials thought would afford her enough time to completed the rest of the couse before the time cutoff. They made her drop back into the sprint race. She was pretty frustrated with that but understood they had a race to run.

After leaving the race, I had a really hard time with how this race turned out. I didn't have all of my splits, but I knew my swim was close to an hour and my bike and run pace was higher than in Chattanooga. I kept thinking about how hard this one seemed to have been. I was really down about it and stayed that way for several days. A friend was looking at the online results and asked why all my splits weren't posted. I think they had a computer problem and several bike and run splits were missing. I relayed this to him but noted that it really didn't matter because they were pretty bad. He reminded me that no matter how bad my times were the were better than all those who never tried to complete such an adventure. I feel better about it now and look at this race as the goal to beat for next year.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:08 | 1640 yards | 03m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 369/379
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: In the Cumberland River. A circular couse both against and with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:39:12 | 25.18 miles | 15.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/379
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back on a closed Ellington Parkway. Double loop for long course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:59 | 05.97 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/379
Performance:
Course: Over the STEEP pedestrian bridge then wound through downtown Nashville. Double loop for long course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-29 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance

2009-07-30 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2316448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance
Congratulatins on finishing even if you were disappointed.  I only did the sprint distance, and that was really a tougher course than I had anticipated.  I applaud you for sticking it out.  That pedestrian bridge was killer. 
2009-07-30 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

You're right, that was a tough course all the way around - particularly the run.

I'm impressed you were able to do the olympic distance.  Halfway through the run (I did the sprint) I was trying to figure out just HOW anyone could have done double the distance.

Way to go!!

2009-07-30 10:39 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job on a tough course!!  You kept going and learned a lot.  Now you'll be faster if you decide to do it again. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance Rss Feed