General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny (Aug 09) Hot August Nights Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-08-01 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2319704

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Team Skinny (Aug 09) Hot August Nights
I'm back for another month. I am determined to actually lose some weight this month instead of just maintaining.
I am beginning to get paranoid about the accuracy of our scales at home. They never seem to show any weight-loss!
I bought some jeans a couple months ago and they were a size smaller than when I started this challenge, now they are getting loose on me but the scale is not reflecting the change. I am actually up to 8lbs lighter on my doctors scale than I am at home. I am reporting on change in weight based on my scales though so I will continue to report based on these.

Anyway, I start this month at 278lbs.

2009-08-01 10:39 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Got ya Iron Gus and welcome back.  You will do it this month,  but as you have seen your body can get better and the scale doesn't change.  It will though.

2009-08-01 10:40 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Welcome Twiggypants,  Glad to have you on the team.

2009-08-02 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2321930

Regular
New Jersey

Hi everyone!  I'd love to join the challenge!  Starting weight is 263.  Goal weight for August is 255.  Thanks!  Lori

Edited by Tri365 2009-08-02 10:28 AM
2009-08-02 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Glad to have you Lori....Look forward to hearing your stories on how your clothes don't fit (in a good way) anymore.

2009-08-02 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Welcome to all the new people.  Believe me, everyone here struggles with weight loss and training issues, along with family, health, work, etc.  In other words, we are all "real people."  If you don't mind the occasional abuse or trash talk, you can get an amazing amount of support and camaraderie here.  Whether you have a few pounds to lose or a lot, it doesn't matter.  It's all the same thing, just difference in degree. 

Besides, for holidays we have virtual races.  Like on 4th of July,  I think six or seven of us a did 10K run in or own neighborhoods and then posted our times.  I forget who was the overall winner, but it turned out that EVERYONE was the winner in their age group.  Woo hoo.  That sure doesn't happen to me very often.  In fact, it has never happened to me before.  So, Team Skinny has more benefits than you possibly realized. 

Now get out there and run (or bike or swim)!!!

2009-08-02 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

If it isn't too late, I would like to join in as well.  I have gotten out of the tri training for a while and want to get back in the groove.  I am 5'5 and as of this morning, weigh 171, which is the heaviest I have ever been in my life (I am 34).  I am hoping that getting into something like this will keep me accountable.  I would like to lose 6-8 pounds in August.  I know that is aggressive, but it gives me something to strive for.  I have downloaded a new training plan (even though I don't have any races planned), so hoping between this and that, I can keep motivated.  Thank you!

2009-08-02 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Never too late to join Team Skinny.  Weigh in's are on Wed. and we set monthly goals.  Good luck and we are all here to help you reach your goal.

2009-08-02 4:22 PM

Pembroke, ON
What is the deal with fat/muscle anyways? Do the two weigh the same?

I hear two different stories about why my scale isn't showing any loss for me.  Some say, well muscle weighs more than fat so you are trading fat for muscle, and muscles is smaller than fat (takes less room) which is why your clothes fit better and eventually the change will start showing up on the scale too. 

The other camp says a pound of fat weights the same as a pound of muscle and although muscle burns more calories, I need to cut more calories out of my diet to notice any change on the scale.

Hope you guys can help clairify this once and for all for me.

Thanks!
2009-08-02 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I'm back for August. My start weight for Aug is 158.2, my goal weight for the end of August is 154.

I've been training for a 1 mile OW swim, a sprint tri, and my first ever half marathon. The OW swim and the sprint tri are both this month, so it's going to be an exciting time. I'm a little discouraged about the bike portion of the tri, it's always my slowest and it doesn't help that I'm on a hybrid bike, so I feel like I'm working so much harder than I should be for the speed I get. Someone suggested putting in higher pressure/skinnier tires on it, so I'm going to look into that.

The other training/nutrition thing for me that is frustrating but is, I think, helping my weight loss in the end, is that I'm breastfeeding a baby who has allergies and really bad eczema, so I'm off dairy and eggs right now, and it looks like I'm going to have to try a total elimination diet (where I eat none of the Big Allergens for something like 3 weeks to clear my system, then introduce them one at a time to see if he reacts). The frustration is that I feel like I'm already so limited in what I eat, between avoiding dairy and eggs and avoiding junk food. I'm really discouraged when I think about limiting soy and wheat, too. (Not to mention shellfish, nuts, berries...) The good news is that I'm eating out much less often and learning to make even my snacks from scratch, which means my snacks are much healthier than they used to be. I did find a delicious dairy-free, egg-free chocolate chip recipe, but the week I made and ate those was the week I didn't lose any weight, so I'll probably steer clear of that one...

Anyway, if anyone has any healthy-eating/allergy-friendly tips or websites, I'd appreciate it.
2009-08-02 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2322542

User image

twiggypants - 2009-08-02 5:22 PM
The other camp says a pound of fat weights the same as a pound of muscle and although muscle burns more calories, I need to cut more calories out of my diet to notice any change on the scale.
Thanks!

I hope a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Otherwise I somehow woke up on Earth2.

If you are putting on muscle and burning fat in the beginning they seem to displace one another. It is a few weeks down the road you will see the difference. You will start gaining less muscle weight but continue to burn the fat. And it will start melting off. As for calories, you want to eat less than your body is burning. But do not starve yourself, the body will then lower its metabolism. It is the bodies own circuit breaker to protect itself.

2009-08-02 4:57 PM

User image

Little nervous, tomorrow begins a week long vacation.  I am playing in a golf invitational, happy about this except for how tired this will make me. My motivation could be in question this week, I have made so much progress in the last two months. Some weeks I have stayed the same as the week before but never increased. 22lbs.  Found a pool to do laps in and will have to get on a bike somehow. Most of all is eating healthy, must have discipline.

The work I am doing to attain my goal is miserable. But all the fun I had getting this fat it only seems to make sense.
2009-08-02 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
Northport, NY
I want in.

I just started running/biking again with the hope of racing in a offroad duathlon in November. I havn't raced since July 07! Fatherhood, moving and life just sort of took over. But now I loot at photos of myself and say "sheesh, what happened."

Right now I am 183. My ultimate goal is to be 160 again. My monthlong goal is 175.

--Chris

Edited by jellyfish74 2009-08-02 5:34 PM
2009-08-02 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

twiggypants - 2009-08-02 2:22 PM What is the deal with fat/muscle anyways? Do the two weigh the same?

I hear two different stories about why my scale isn't showing any loss for me.  Some say, well muscle weighs more than fat so you are trading fat for muscle, and muscles is smaller than fat (takes less room) which is why your clothes fit better and eventually the change will start showing up on the scale too. 

Hope you guys can help clairify this once and for all for me.

Thanks!

fat vs muscle

First:  16oz is 16 oz no matter what it is made of ,fat,muscle, rubber, feathers, 16 oz is still a pound.  As you can see the SIZE is different.  Muscle also burns more calories so the more muscle the more calories are consumed.  By the way if you restrict calories to much your body will go catabolic and eat muscle.

Edited by saling4 2009-08-02 6:19 PM
2009-08-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2322628

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Your in jellyfish.

2009-08-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2322548

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Kliv,  i would definitely put skinny high pressure tires on.  Change the tubes as well.  I use a 1990 Schwinn Hybrid and I put those on my bike.  Of course you are as fast as I am,  but they sure do roll easier then knobbies.

2009-08-02 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
I had been sort of depressed because I had been working on biking up hill and it wasn't going very well.  I know that I short-change my biking through the year and just really get going when I start thinking about my races in the fall.  So, I am now training in earnest for an oly on October 4 and a HIM on October 10 (Yeah, I know.  It's nuts.)  The HIM has very long stretches of steady uphill, like ten miles at a stretch.  I just wasn't making good progress in even making it all the way up one of these hills. 

So, I saw my bike guy on Friday and he gave me an assignment of getting to a particular place up this one hill that is near my house and then to call him and report my times.  I attempted it on Saturday morning and couldn't make it to where he said to go.  I tried again Sunday morning and again didn't make it and then in doing something or other my chain fell off.  I can usually put it back on, but not this time and I could tell that in the process I was making things worse.

So, time to take the whole bike in to Steve, the bike guy.  After he points out that I didn't call him yesterday and I explain that I didn't call because I didn't make it, he looks at my bike.  He then notices that I don't have the right gears for climbing and he is amazed I even made it as far as I did.  He said a bunch of the guys he knows wouldn't have made it as far as I did on these gears.

He changed my gears or something (I'm not a mechanic and I am really not sure what he did), and I am now feeling much better.  I probably won't get another chance at that hill until Tuesday after work (if it isn't too bloomin' hot), but I am now greatly encouraged.  I was already figuring on backing out of the HIM because I just didn't think I would be able to do the bike part. 

This isn't a pure "Team Skinny" post, but I just had to tell someone and you guys are it.

Edited by LeahDD 2009-08-02 9:04 PM
2009-08-02 9:04 PM

Greetings folks!

I'm back in it again this month.
Last month was 281.6 to 275 = 6.6lb loss

So lets aim for 7lb a month so August start = 275, Goal = 268
2009-08-03 6:38 AM

Regular
New Jersey
Twiggypants - Re the muscle vs fat question, this is the way I understand it:

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound, but the pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle.  So an extremely muscular person weighing 170 will wear a much smaller size than a sedentary person weighing 170.  

The idea, though, that you're trading muscle for fat when the scale isn't moving is likely just an excuse.  The work required to lose weight is the opposite of the work required to build significant muscle.  To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit so that your body burns your fat stores for the needed energy.  To gain muscle, you must have a calorie excess, and be working out a lot to tell your body to convert those extra calories to muscle not fat.  Now, as you get more physically active, you will build stronger muscles, but not at the rate of a pound or more a week. If your clothes are getting looser but your weight is staying the same, it's likely that you're toning the muscles under the fat - so you probably look better, but you probably haven't burned much of your fat stores.

Katie - That sounds like quite a challenge having to eliminate so many common items from your diet, but I hope it helps your little one.  Maybe try making a list of all the things that you CAN eat, or focus on getting in all of the things you need to eat each day from an allowable list?  That might help to keep you from focusing so much on the things you can't eat.

Leah - I hope you make it up that hill on Tuesday!

Edited by Tri365 2009-08-03 6:41 AM
2009-08-03 6:39 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Leah,  Team Skinny is about more than weight loss.  Hills are a B@#ch gears or no gears.  A lot of people change out their cassettes (gears) depending on the course they are riding.  You are just getting to be a Techie Tri Geek.  Pretty soon you will be talking like " Yeah,  I am doing Vineman and need my 12-36 cassette."...LOL.  I am happy that you might have a shot at that hill now.  Let us know how it goes.

2009-08-03 8:59 AM

User image

Portland Oregon
Hey I'm back for some more. I was down to 150.00, but after a honeymoon of beer and great food I am back up to 154.00.

Start for August 154.00
Goal 149.00

Have a great month everyone!
Mrs. Simms

2009-08-03 9:31 AM

Pembroke, ON
Thanks for all the muscle vs fat advice. 

I'm going to have to up my amount of exercise then.  Scale isn't budging and I've already made major changes to my diet which should be allowingme to lose weight (no refined sugar/carbs, eating mostly veggies, protein, small amounts of fruit and low fat dairy).   Its getting depressing.
2009-08-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2323704

Regular
New Jersey
Stephanie - Do you count calories? I know it's a pain, but even when you're eating clean, you can be eating too many calories without realizing it, and as a result be cancelling out any calorie burn from exercise. I know there are many days when I thought I was "good" but didn't count calories, and the scale doesn't budge. On the days when I'm logging my food and calories, then I see positive movement.
2009-08-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2321282

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mett I have this problem too... I don’t know what I should be taking in verses what I should be putting out for my calories either. How do I know what I should be eating and how many calories I should be taking in? Also should I be watching my fat and protein intake as well as my calories?

Mett - 2009-08-01 11:19 AM I am excited to get going. I am good on my diet but my job makes it tough because I have to eat dinner so late sometimes. Plus my willpower diminishes every once in a while. The hardest part for me is finding out the calories I need to lose weight and still be able to support my exercise.
2009-08-03 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
I want to play!

Aug 1st wieght 280

Goal of 270 for end of month.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Team Skinny (Aug 09) Hot August Nights Rss Feed  

of 10