Midcoast Multisport
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 87/229
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Slept very poorly the last few nights. Woke up about 4 this morning. Managed to get the family all together and on the road by 6:30. Arrived at race site at 7:15. Registered, set up transition, got body marked.
Wandered back to my rack a few times to organize and reorganize. Ate a clif bar (chocolate chip - those things aren't half bad!). Now the waiting began. It was about 8 at this point, and my wave was scheduled to start at 9:27, which ended up being closer to 9:45. Stupidly, I stood and paced around most of that time, instead of putting my feet up and relaxing.
Event warmup:

None really. I could have done a swim warmup, but didn't want to sit around wet for an hour while waiting for my wave.
Swim
  • 11m 28s
  • 525 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I seriously underestimated the swim situation. I've been training in a 20 yard pool, and have been relying way too much on those little rests at the end of each lap while I do an open turn. This was a 25 yard pool, which shouldn't have made that much of a difference, but wow! Felt like each lap would never end. Started to panic a little bit, and lost any kind of kicking rhythm. The guy sharing the lane with me lapped me about 2/3 of the way through, and I think I started freaking out about everyone seeming to be faster than me, all those negative thoughts about "what am I doing here, I'm out of my league", etc). Struggled through, finished the thing. I was one of the last ones in my wave to get out, but I made it.
What would you do differently?:

Work harder on my swim training. Maybe learn flip turns to keep from relying on resting at the wall. Relax, don't worry about what other people are doing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Climbed out of the pool and stumbled, in a bit of a daze, out of the pool and into the 45 degree pouring rain. I had never done a swim/bike brick, and was surprised by how weak my legs felt. Tried to relax and be deliberate in getting everything on, then started running out with the bike. Got to the mount line, clipped in first pedal no problem, got some speed, clipped in the other one (so I thought), and started cranking, only to have my right foot pop right back out. Took multiple attempts to get it back in right. I think part of my problem was that I just wasn't real focused at that point, and had my shoe too far back on the pedal to engage.

Swim/bike bricks.
Bike
  • 44m 54s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 15.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good once I got the first few miles in. I passed 9 people on the course, and was only passed once. The guy who passed me got about 50 yards ahead, but then totally missed a turn and kept going straight, even though a volunteer was clearly yelling and pointing. I wonder how long it took him to figure it out. My hands and feet were freezing and numb. It was pouring rain and very windy. Good times!

Get some weatherproof biking gloves!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The shoes went on great - I just got some of those quick laces, which worked beautifully. On the other hand, my hands were so numb that I couldn't unbuckle my helmet! I managed to pry the strap over my chin and kind of peel the helmet off. Grabbed my race belt, hat, and away we go!

Not lose feeling in my extremities. :(
Run
  • 20m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Couldn't feel my feet for the first mile or so, but just kept the legs pumping. Started to get into a rhythm pretty quickly. Passed a dozen or so runners, was only passed once. Even passed the guy who had shared the swimming lane with me :). Felt pretty strong on the run, all things considered. Started smiling and almost laughing outloud toward the end, realizing that I was about to complete my first tri. My 5k PR is 20:20, so I have to say I'm pretty happy with the run effort. Had gas for a final push through the finish area, and crossed the line as a triathlete!

Nothing. The run was the best part of my day.
Post race
Warm down:

More of a "trying to warm up" description. Went inside, got some dry clothes on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was a big factor, followed by inexperience.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great, really enthusiastic, event though they had been standing out in very cold and very wet conditions all day.

I think I will remember this day for the rest of my life. This sport is awesome, and I am so unbelievably hooked. I have a lot of work to do, but feel even more motivated to do that work now. Thanks to all the BT people for support and encouragement!

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:28 | 525 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 156/229
Performance: Below average
Swim time includes getting out of the pool and stumbling out of the building...
Suit: Sugoi Tri Shorts (Team Javelin!)
Course: Pool swim - 21 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:54 | 11.5 miles | 15.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 128/229
Performance: Good
Bike time included T1 and T2, which probably totalled 5 minutes.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was nice and rolling, but the wind was nasty. Steady winds in the low 20's, gusts of 30 mph today.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:50 | 03 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 58/229
Performance: Good
Course: Mix of off-road and on-road. Some of the off road was tough, forest trails with big roots to trip you up. Rolled my ankle mildly at one point.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-08 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Ironbear - My first tri ever!

2005-05-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: #154451

Regular
Jackson, MS
Subject: RE: Ironbear - My first tri ever!
Awesome! The conditions didn't sound fun at all! Good luck w/the next one!
2005-05-08 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome Rob! Way to go, TRIATHLETE!!! You had a great run too, that's an awesome time!

-Frank
2005-05-10 8:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Kick ass run! Thanks for the race report. Congrats! Triathlete!
2005-05-15 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Nice Report!

Good job & Congrats!
2005-05-15 8:41 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
AWESOME run!!!! Congratulations, triathlete.

Pam

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironbear - My first tri ever! Rss Feed